Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What is my Z worth with blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Its doesnt fix everything possible..
No $#!* .

Originally Posted by IrishC6
Haven't really decided yet. I'm not really in the best financial situation. I have about an 10k out the door budget. And that's taking a loan out from my company. I know a lot of people will prob say its dumb, but I was thinking about going with an LS3 stroker 427 with nice components. It's in my price point and it will make descent hp.
i reviewed your posts, and those of the guy who it appears sold you this car, and I agree with you 100% that you should have done a little more homework before you bought this one.

Count the 38K purchase outlay on it on it, plus the valve guide "fix", and now having to spring for a motor, and unfortunately it will turn out that you didn't realize any "savings" at all.

Hats off to you though for not being pissed and blaming GM and the LS7 though, like what usually happens in here with such an occurrence.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-my-z06.html

This car was cammed??? ????? Was it returned to stock??

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1579421540

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...0-000-obo.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1580582290

Guy's last log in was 5/23/12. Has anyone seen hide or hair of him on this forum since?

Would be interesting to see if this car was returned to stock before it was sold.

Oh well. Hind sight is always 20/20 and you certainly appear to have the right attitude about moving on.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

Originally Posted by spartanc6z06
Just wondering if anyone has knowledge regarding what my 06 Z is worth with a blown engine, as there is a few people interested if i decide not to rebuild. I have heard of people selling them this way but never got a good idea on price averages from searching.

06 black 2LZ NAV 32000 miles 2 owner clean title. Rod hanging out driver side of block so its catastrophic on the buttom end. Not sure if heads can be rebuilt as nothing was opened up to see. Extras include..

Callaway
RR ported FAST 102
NW 102 TB
FAST rails, steel lines
1 7/8 AR catless longtubes
Corsa prototypes
MGW shifter, race ****
corvettemods lowering bolts
Nitto Invos with 50 miles on em
DEKA 36L lightweight battery
MSD ignition

Extras inside that is unknown for condition..

Katech C5R timing chain
Manley Nextek .700 dual springs
Titanium retainers
240/260 .661/ 109 cam

Thanks in advance. Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section eh. Cheers.

Originally Posted by NORTY
Sorry to say, but since it's worth so little (compared to what the car cost,) it might benefit you to donate the car, as is, to your local high school or community college auto shop. Check with your tax person.
When this was first suggested, I thought it was pretty damn drastic.

But depending on your tax situations and other goals, this could end up being a palatable alternative for one, or both of you guys.

Getting the car fixed, in either case here, is going to result in a car with a good bit more money into it, than can be retrieved from it....so if you get it fixed, you almost have to keep it for a while or else you are going to take a financial loss on it should you fix it and then part with it shortly thereafter.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-03-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 PM
IrishC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
No $#!* .

i reviewed your posts, and those of the guy who it appears sold you this car, and I agree with you 100% that you should have done a little more homework before you bought this one.

Count the 38K purchase outlay on it on it, plus the valve guide "fix", and now having to spring for a motor, and unfortunately it will turn out that you didn't realize any "savings" at all.

Hats off to you though for not being pissed and blaming GM and the LS7 though like what usually happens in here with such an occurrence.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ng-my-z06.html

This car was cammed??? ????? Was it returned to stock??

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1579421540

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...0-000-obo.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1580582290

Guy's last log in was 5/23/12. Has anyone seen hide or hair of him on this forum since?

Would be interesting to see if this car was returned to stock before it was sold.

Oh well. Hind sight is always 20/20 and you certainly appear to have the right attitude about moving on.

Good luck with getting it fixed.

When this was first suggested, I thought it was pretty damn drastic.

But depending on your tax situations and other goals, this could end up being a palatable alternative for one, or both of you guys.

Getting the car fixed, in either case here, is going to result in a car with a good bit more money into it, than can be retrieved from it....so if you get it fixed, you almost have to keep it for a while or else you are going to take a financial loss on it should you fix it and then part with it shortly thereafter.
When I purchased the car it was stock except for Corsa sports and killer bee. I had the car looked at in the sellers state by a GM dealership in the sellers state. Which the seller says in the for sale add that he will take the car in for inspection if the buyer wishes. Then after delevirey I had the car looked at. Compression, leakdown, ecu scan and general walk through. I'm not the type to hide info for sympathy. I'm comfortable with humility. I already stated I did a ****** job of research. I got the z06 bug and made a rash decision. And to make things worse, this is the first I'm seeing of the sellers previous posts. I never thought to do that. I took the sellers word for gold. It's obvious my problem is on my shoulders. Never claimed otherwise. I'm not trying to bash the LS7 or be a downer. I just simply gave the OP my opinion of my build.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 PM
SmokinZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Undy
If you decide on parting the blown engine out I'm interested the the FAST 102, 102 TB and the fuel rails.

Sorry to say, a 06 w/ 30K is worth in the mid 30s in decent shape. Minus a $17K engine and your looking at around $18K - $20K.
You can get a LS7 "Long Block" for around $11,000. That's all he needs, I know because I'm in the same boat....
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

When I purchased the car it was stock except for Corsa sports and killer bee. I had the car looked at in the sellers state by a GM dealership in the sellers state. Which the seller says in the for sale add that he will take the car in for inspection if the buyer wishes. Then after delevirey I had the car looked at. Compression, leakdown, ecu scan and general walk through. I'm not the type to hide info for sympathy. I'm comfortable with humility. I already stated I did a ****** job of research. I got the z06 bug and made a rash decision. And to make things worse, this is the first I'm seeing of the sellers previous posts. I never thought to do that. I took the sellers word for gold. It's obvious my problem is on my shoulders. Never claimed otherwise. I'm not trying to bash the LS7 or be a downer. I just simply gave the OP my opinion of my build.

Your attitude and approach to this whole matter are commendable.

Too many times people aren't nearly as upfront nor as quick to admit that they could have done better when it comes to research, as you have been.

They place 100% of blame everywhere else, and on someone else, anybody else other than themselves, and are unwilling to accept any of the blame when a mishap such as yours occurs.

While I feel terrible about your engine failure, it is refreshing to see you moving on and carrying your part of the weight, though it is seeming like, from my own review and interpretation of the prior posts, that the car may have had other mods done to it at some point in time prior to and aside from the ones it had when you purchased it.

Indeed, it's looking like it was possibly on the second motor when you got it, and that it had been cammed with an offer to include the stock cam with the car, in the original attempt to sell it months prior.

Again, good luck getting it back on the road.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-03-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Dont worry Brother what everyone tells you on here half the people here are cavemen. I will guide you the right direction.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 AM
IrishC6
Racer

Your attitude and approach to this whole matter are commendable.

Too many times people aren't nearly as upfront nor as quick to admit that they could have done better when it comes to research, as you have been.

They place 100% of blame everywhere else, and on someone else, anybody else other than themselves, and are unwilling to accept any of the blame when a mishap such as yours occurs.

While I feel terrible about your engine failure, it is refreshing to see you moving on and carrying your part of the weight, though it is seeming like, from my own review and interpretation of the prior posts, that the car may have had other mods done to it at some point, aside from the ones you bought it with.

Indeed, it's looking like it was possibly on the second motor when you got it, and that it had been cammed with an offer to include the stock cam with the car, in the original attempt to sell it months prior.

Again, good luck getting it back on the road.
Thanks for the support It's obvious you feel that I have still left some **** out lol. That's what I love about forums; everybody has the right to their own opinion. You can research all the posts you want. My flaw is I didn't do the same research u did.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks for the support It's obvious you feel that I have still left some **** out lol. That's what I love about forums; everybody has the right to their own opinion. You can research all the posts you want. My flaw is I didn't do the same research u did.
Not quite sure what you mean by the part in bold, nor in your prior post when you say "I'm not the type to hide info for sympathy..."

I never thought that you were "hiding" anything, or as you say; "leaving some **** out". Nor did it matter to me whether you were or not once the determination is made as to if the car is stock or modified. What specifics you elect to tell about your engine failure is your prerogative.

It just caught my eye when you posted up that your engine had failed, as I try to keep a running tally of the LS7 engine failures listed on this forum.

I do this in the hopes of giving the forum a general idea, or perspective, of how rampant LS7 failures are in both stock and modified cars, if not in general, then on this particular forum.

In that endeavor, I know very well that oft times some of the facts are going to be omitted, either by the owner's conscious choice, or purely by coincidence.

Thus the most important thing to me is the actual documentation of the occurrence of the engine failure for the listing. Not whether or not the owner is "leaving some **** out." **** is always going to be left out. If not by you, well then by someone else who suffers an engine failure. We know that going in.

Once I know whether it was stock or modified, for the purposes of putting it in the listing or registry, then that is all I need to know.

So really, I am not concerned one way or the other whether anything in the report of your failure is "left out".

It has been reported in the threads and posts, and in following the threads, and your own report, that the failure reportedly occurred, that it occurred shortly after stainless steel valves and bronze valve guides were installed, that the failure was unrelated to that and occurred due to a spun bearing, that the car was reported to have been bought used, the mileage of the car was reported, and with a thorough review of the threads, it appears to have been cammed and then taken back to stock prior to your purchase.

That is plenty enough information to determine onto which listing this incident belongs.

I don't want to, or need to, know any more than that.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-03-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:55 AM
IrishC6
Racer

Not quite sure what you mean by the part in bold, nor in your prior post when you say "I'm not the type to hide info for sympathy..."

I never thought that you were "hiding" anything, or as you say; "leaving some **** out". Nor did it matter to me whether you were or not. What you elect to tell about your engine failure is your prerogative.

It just caught my eye when you posted up that your engine had failed, as I try to keep a running tally of the LS7 engine failures listed on this forum.

I do this in the hopes of giving the forum a general idea, or perspective, of how rampant LS7 failures are in both stock and modified cars, if not in general, then on this particular forum.

In that endeavor, I know very well that oft times some of the facts are going to be omitted, either by the owner's conscious choice, or purely by coincidence.

Thus the most important thing to me is the actual documentation of the occurrence of the engine failure for the listing. Not whether or not the owner is "leaving some **** out." **** is always going to be left out. If not by you, well then by someone else who suffers an engine failure. We know that going in.

Once I know whether it was stock or modified, for the purposes of putting it in the listing or registry, then that is all I need to know.
Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Sorry, I misunderstood.
No problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sorry, I misunderstood.
Hey man...just to say Quick is is generally empathetic toward your situation. As am I. Sorry you went for the 'cure' and still this issue.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 PM
spartanc6z06
Instructor

Wow never seen so many PM's in my life lol. Turns out these cars are desirable, even with a blown engine..
Had 2 local offers for $23 today, cash in my face. Was hard to say no. But i came to my senses and decided to keep it for the long haul.
I recently paid it off so even if it has to sit in my garage for a while its not going to hurt. Plus, there is NO other car that does what my Z did for my price range. So its only logical to build it bigger and better.
$20K +- is an insult for a car like this, even with a blown engine.
Anyways, thanks for all the help everybody. One big happy corvette family.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spartanc6z06
there is NO other car that does what my Z did for my price range. So its only logical to build it bigger and better.
x2. I sold my built h/c/i/ 06 c6z 2 weeks ago for $45k. Boy, do I miss it!
New owner is grinnin' ear to ear with 600rwhp
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it was the tune!

My Z06 has a bigger cam and I have ran it at the track few times and no issues
Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be pissed if I bought a "stock" engine Z06 only to have it blow and realize the former owner cammed it and swapped back to sell without full disclosure.

Irish is showing his integrity and maturity here on the board - best of luck to you, sir.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
I'd be pissed if I bought a "stock" engine Z06 only to have it blow and realize the former owner cammed it and swapped back to sell without full disclosure.

Irish is showing his integrity and maturity here on the board - best of luck to you, sir.

Sorry about your engine, Irish. There are a lot of great resources on the board that I am sure will help you find a solution.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I know a lot of people have been suggesting just get it running and then sale it but I don't know a lot of people that just have $15,000 lying around to dump into a car. So if you have to do it a little at a time it might not be worth the storage on the car. Also do you still owe anything on the car?

You can probably get 20-25k for it. Start higher and put it up on multiple sites. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Ker1964
1st Gear

I am interested in a project car with a blown engine did you fix yours or sale it ? if you sold it what did it go for ? Thanks ker1964

Get notified of new replies

To What is my Z worth with blown engine?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
boostinz06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you post some pics i might be interested in picking this car up as a project
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The 480 HP LS3 crate motor is about $6100 and carries a 2-yr warranty. Put your intake and headers on and you'll be back to the original 505 HP. It could make selling a 30K mile Z06 with a new reliable motor, attractive to a used car buyer who doesn't require ultimate performance.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Ker1964
I am interested in a project car with a blown engine did you fix yours or sale it ? if you sold it what did it go for ? Thanks ker1964
He kept it.....lots of interested buyers....but no other car out there that does what the Z06 can do for the money.....so he's parking it for now and putting together some cash to rebuild it 'bigger and better.....'

It's post, I think on page two....good for him.

He says he got lots of offers 23-25k cash like it was w/blown motor, so he decided tro keep it.
add:

His post below
Wow never seen so many PM's in my life lol. Turns out these cars are desirable, even with a blown engine..
Had 2 local offers for $23 today, cash in my face. Was hard to say no. But i came to my senses and decided to keep it for the long haul.
I recently paid it off so even if it has to sit in my garage for a while its not going to hurt. Plus, there is NO other car that does what my Z did for my price range. So its only logical to build it bigger and better.
Anyways, thanks for all the help everybody. One big happy corvette family

Last edited by tim414; 10-15-2012 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What is my Z worth with blown engine?