Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Changing brake pads

Im running 2 pc Brembo brakes front and rear on my Z. It's about time to change pads and my shop says that they usually change rotors at the same time since the pads will make tracks into the rotors. Rotors have no cracking. Do I need to change both? If I change both it's almost $3k to do so vs about $800 for just pads. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Im running 2 pc Brembo brakes front and rear on my Z. It's about time to change pads and my shop says that they usually change rotors at the same time since the pads will make tracks into the rotors. Rotors have no cracking. Do I need to change both? If I change both it's almost $3k to do so vs about $800 for just pads. Thanks!
Rotors need to be changed if they are warped or cracked. That's it. Of course, some folks who track their cars like to change rotors if they change the type of pad they are using, and/or have multiple sets of rotors to go with different pads.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Thomas

with allanlaw - unless the rotors are gouged up, cracked, worn thin to below min thickness spec, etc., you don't need to replace them, especially if just sticking with the same pad compound.

BTW allanlaw - where ya been???

It seems like a loooong time since I've seen you posting up!!

Bob
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotors don't even need to be turned if they are in good condition. You can buy pads for all 4 wheels for about $300 for OEM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Ok. Brembo pads are a bit more. They are going to measure the rotors when it goes in for the blower install. Hoping to just do pads and call it a day.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. Brembo pads are a bit more. They are going to measure the rotors when it goes in for the blower install. Hoping to just do pads and call it a day.
Actually, the factory Ferodo 2500's F/R are a bit more than $300 bucks too. I road track my car several times a year on the stock brake set up, and luckily been able to pick up some slightly used pads from other forum members. On my third set of front pads now, and still using the original rotors. Car has all of 7K mi on the clock now, so maybe doing something wrong.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Hawk pads. I meant OEM calipers.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing brake pads

Quick Reply: [Z06] Changing brake pads