Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pilot03EBZO6
I'm betting your CC brakes were made by the same company that made the Lambos CC brakes (Brembo). So blaming GM is not necessarily where you should be placing the blame. You can however blame the way the dealership treated the problem and tried to solve the problem.. That's unfortunate. But saying GM is the cause is not correct and you could just as easily had the same issue on your lambo had Brembo delivered them the same unbalanced CC rotors. Sweet new ride though! It will get plenty of looks - I will be sure to wave as I pass you on the highway

http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...c%20discs.aspx
We disagree. I do NOT have a relationship with Brembo, I have a relationship with GM. GM chose brembo, and so when I have a problem and go to GM with it, THEY are the face of the service provider to me not brembo. They owe me the fix, and then THEY can go after brembo for compensation. I'm a process guy, so this is pure logic to me.

Maybe this is a better way to present my argument. I own a restaurant (hypothetically), and I get my steaks from a butcher down the street. You pay me for a steak dinner, and I cook for you the meat that I got from the butcher down the street. If the meal is not right, because the meat is not good, do I tell you to go down the street to the butcher and take it up with him? And if you send the steak back 4 times to get corrected, and I tell you, sorry thats just how that steak is going to be. Do I REALISTICALLY expect you to EVER come back to my restaurant? No. The right thing would be to give you a new steak dinner and not screw around with trying to re-cook the steak 4 times like GM tried to do.

I can't make brembo provide new rotors, but GM could have, but they didn't.

Jon
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

......I can't make brembo provide new rotors, but GM could have, but they didn't.

Jon
Can't argue with anything you said. Your point is absolutely valid and GM should have taken care of every ZR1 immediately by replacing the rotors if that, in fact, is the answer.

I can't answer whether that would solve everyone's problem since there are also wheels, tires and harmonics involved. Considering the scope of the problem that seems to include many, GM really needed/needs to step up with a mobile team(s) of qualified people/engineers to rectify each and every ZR1 vibration problem.

Congrats on your new Lambo, but I actually would like to see you consider coming back to Chevy someday when you're able to trust them again. ZR1's without issues are awesome, and if they do have an issue or two it's nice to have a really good dealership with equally good techs to fall back on.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 1,745 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Pilot03EBZO6
Sounds great Deb - we will be ready for everyone.. You will be getting much more of a look at a "normal" production day this year but still should be interesting for everyone who attends.. Also almost came up to Bakers this past weekend but was tied up with other stuff and couldn't make it - next time for sure! I have had the Z out quite a bit this summer and have had too much fun with it - it's nice to be King on the road
Bakers was a blast! One of these days we will catch up with you and the ZR out and about !
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM
ries
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had an issue with check fuel system light.
The dealership replaced both fuel sending units twice.
It was very frustrating to think it was fixed and get within 6 min of the 45 min drive and have that frigin light come on. Anyway, gm sent a field engineer to the dealership and they fond a small bend in the fuel
line. My car was at the dealership off an on for 2 months and i was seriously pissed off.
IN the end the dealership and the tech were solid and gm stood by their product. What i mean is they gave me compensation for my trouble and it was generous in my opinon.
Over all i love this car it is fantastic and i drive very hard.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Pilot03EBZO6
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
We disagree. I do NOT have a relationship with Brembo, I have a relationship with GM. GM chose brembo, and so when I have a problem and go to GM with it, THEY are the face of the service provider to me not brembo. They owe me the fix, and then THEY can go after brembo for compensation. I'm a process guy, so this is pure logic to me.

Maybe this is a better way to present my argument. I own a restaurant (hypothetically), and I get my steaks from a butcher down the street. You pay me for a steak dinner, and I cook for you the meat that I got from the butcher down the street. If the meal is not right, because the meat is not good, do I tell you to go down the street to the butcher and take it up with him? And if you send the steak back 4 times to get corrected, and I tell you, sorry thats just how that steak is going to be. Do I REALISTICALLY expect you to EVER come back to my restaurant? No. The right thing would be to give you a new steak dinner and not screw around with trying to re-cook the steak 4 times like GM tried to do.

I can't make brembo provide new rotors, but GM could have, but they didn't.

Jon
Jon I already agreed with you - but only about the dealership.. You keep saying GM as though GM is the dealership.. It isn't - each dealership is independantly owned and operated.. GM provides them assistance when they ask for it. Had a team from GM been assigned to your car I'm 100% positive your car would have been fixed and resolved. I'm sorry the dealership didn't get to the root cause of your issue and that you are turned off by the service provided. And I'm not asking you to go to Brembo - I'm telling you its unfortunate that the dealership didn't elevate the issue to someone within GM (since I've already explained that the dealership isn't GM and didn't design / build the cars originally) so that the issue could have been resolved..

No where did I say go to Brembo to get your issue fixed either - I'm simply pointing out that Brembo is the source of the original issue and that it could have went into your Lambo or any other car make for that matter.. GM didn't make the part - it's their issue to fix on your car yes(and consequently go after Brembo to make their parts better). But just because your Lambo doesn't have the issue doesn't make Lambo a better manufacturer (it just means Brembo didn't supply your car with poorly balanced rotors).
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

is there any exhaust valves issues with the ls9? Dont get me wrong, i dont want a s**t storm. Im just wordering is there was someone who had to rebuild head because of worn out exhaust valve guides. I was a hardcore defenser of the ls7 paranoi, till i seen from my own eyes many cars with unusual wear to guides plus many babied failed z06. I just sold my z, and now im looking hard for a zr1. Just want a honest answer, cause my next car is the last car for a while, so i must be really careful.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

well, we don't really know, since there's quite a bit less zr1 produced and even less that are daily drivers, so all have extremely low miles... but, I have to say that the new oil cooler is bringing the oil temp to above 150 very quickly, and in not time you are in the 190, so this is a good thing in my opinion. Unless we know who was tasked to produce those heads we may not know until a few years from now.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM
s_c5519
Instructor

Originally Posted by mirage2991
but, I have to say that the new oil cooler is bringing the oil temp to above 150 very quickly, and in not time you are in the 190, so this is a good thing in my opinion.
I have read somewhere that 150 is a good number the oil temp should be at before any hard driving. Is 190 recommended for the ZR1?

Last edited by s_c5519; 09-16-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by s_c5519
I have read somewhere that 150 is a good number the oil temp should be at before any hard driving. Is 190 recommended for the ZR1?
Optimum oil temp is not model specific, specs for ideal oil performance come directly from the oil manufacturer.

And yes, 190* is better than 150*. In fact based on the oils used and application for our cars 200-240ish is best.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I think there is a general consensus (at least here on the CF) that the oil temp s/b 175* or above before really "getting on it." That is also the oil temp recommended in the OM for properly checking the oil level in the dry sump system (ZR1; Z06; GS coupe w/manual)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 PM
s_c5519
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
I think there is a general consensus (at least here on the CF) that the oil temp s/b 175* or above before really "getting on it." That is also the oil temp recommended in the OM for properly checking the oil level in the dry sump system (ZR1; Z06; GS coupe w/manual)
Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Optimum oil temp is not model specific, specs for ideal oil performance come directly from the oil manufacturer.

And yes, 190* is better than 150*. In fact based on the oils used and application for our cars 200-240ish is best.
Very good to know, very thank you!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
2010, 14000 miles all good except I can turn the vibration on and off with tire/wheel location on the car.
please explain.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

From what i seen so far, vibrations is the biggest issue.
heat soak as well. But its ok, im not a hard core drag racer anyway
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM
calvin2093
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'12

I have 2011 with 5K miles and the Master Cylinder went out a few weeks ago. The dealer said it was just a defective part. I had the same issue with my 09 Z06. Other than that, the car has been great.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn Vibration in front. Tired of this CRAP man. COME ON MAN!!!!! GM Wtf..... I balanced, aligned the ZR1 and know the rotors or the problem. Ugh I have to go **** and moan about the rotors now. Hope they help me out. Take time off work etc. What a hassle man I tell ya. 125k car with off balanced rotors. Also is it just me but when I turn the steering wheel to pull out of driveways etc. I hear a clunking or popping sound up front in the suspension. So odd to hear that.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 AM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Damn Vibration in front. Tired of this CRAP man. COME ON MAN!!!!! GM Wtf..... I balanced, aligned the ZR1 and know the rotors or the problem. Ugh I have to go **** and moan about the rotors now. Hope they help me out. Take time off work etc. What a hassle man I tell ya. 125k car with off balanced rotors. Also is it just me but when I turn the steering wheel to pull out of driveways etc. I hear a clunking or popping sound up front in the suspension. So odd to hear that.
The rotors are not a GM product. I do agree that if the rotor can't be balanced and are the source of the vibration then they should be replaced. GM should really push the manufacturer of these rotors to do the right thing. Luckily I have not had to deal with this.

Your clunking is due to the wide, sticky tires up front in combination with sharp turning. Essentially, they are so wide that the outside has to travel so much farther distance than the inside that the outside pops into place occasionally. Similar in concept to having a locked differential when steering.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 683 Likes on 507 Posts

If you need any additional assistance, please feel free to contact me or Evan privately with the last eight of your VIN. We can then begin to do some research on our end. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Evan).

Get notified of new replies

To Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I feel your pain. I have been there and done that. Everything you mentioned. Even had responses from Chevy Cust Serv. offering to try and help. That did not work either. The best I got was a road force balance that absolutely hides the real problem and makes it vibration free but does not absolutely cure the real problem. Try sticking to your guns and getting the rotors. Some people have gotten them very easily. But not everyone. Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
bilderguy
Intermediate

I have a 2009 CG ZR1 with 15,000 miles. I don't drive it super hard. Most miles are easy miles. I have issues with a creaking roof panel when I drive over approaches at slow speeds. The dealer removed the headliner and had a gm engineer re torq all the bolts holding the roof. It is still occurring.

I also have squeaky brakes. Not sure why? Did I not break them in properly possibly.

Also, the dealer also said the oil was completely gone from my rear shocks although I never have seen any oil ever under my car. They replaced them under warranty and the car definitely rides better.

The dealer is near the proving grounds and they sent someone directly to look at the roof and shocks. That made me feel good.

How would I know if my catalytic converters are bad?

Any response to my post is appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, I smile just as much now as I did when I drove it for the first time almost 4 years ago. Awesome rig and a blast to pilot!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Ultraworld
Heel & Toe

My cars are allergic to their tires (partucularly the rears).
I have '12CTS-V coupe, an'11 ZR1 and a '05 GTO not one has been back to the dealer for repair. Not one problem.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????