Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My transmission appears to have a small leak at 6,000 miles (5,500 track miles)

I do have the vibration problem that seems to come and go and I rarely drive less than triple digits on the track

All in all this is a very reliable car considering what it is....I like it twice as much as my C6 Z06

Ian
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Cevin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems with my '10
Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had 2009 VY ZR1 inspected with 11,200 miles on it. Tech said transmission leaking some. Is this a common problem and is GM covering this and cost???? Hmm leaking transmission. You seeing this a lot guys?????
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ s/b covered under the factory 5 yr/100K mi. powertrain warranty, assuming the same has not been blocked/voided
in the hands of a previous owner...and didn't you just purchase the car ?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Had 2009 VY ZR1 inspected with 11,200 miles on it. Tech said transmission leaking some. Is this a common problem and is GM covering this and cost???? Hmm leaking transmission. You seeing this a lot guys?????
No issue like that with mine.. hopefully it's an easy fix
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wilddr805

Got a second opinion and it was a crock of BS on tranny needing reseal. I knew something was up when they wanted to do a bunch of work and said it needed new tires when they are pretty new. Tough to trust people who just want to make up work. Just some road grime. Nice to hear stock warranty goes for a while.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:58 PM
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NofakeJake

If one was seriously worried about the vibration issue, they could sell or trade the car and buy something else. Why go through all the stress and brain damage? Just move on..

I agree with you, and you are right, I said F it, after letting the dealership try 4 times to get it right.. I thought they fixed it the last time with the tire pressure change and the full RFB, but it came back.

I now have a convertible Murceilago, no more brain cancer for me.

Seriously... thanks... I just had to say F it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
I agree with you, and you are right, I said F it, after letting the dealership try 4 times to get it right.. I thought they fixed it the last time with the tire pressure change and the full RFB, but it came back.

Congratulations on your new ride...no one should let things like that ruin their life.

BTW, no need to look back
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with you there..that vibration would drive me nuts also and without dought make me go to another brand..Guess I'm lucky my 2010 ZR1 is butter smooth at all speeds...congrats on your Murci.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
Advanced

Yeah, I got tired of the 'joy rides' the car kept getting every time I dropped it off to get the issue looked at. And what pissed me off, is first time it was 10 miles, 2nd time it was 30 miles, and they called me right while I was closing the deal on the lambo to tell me, I had to bring it in AGAIN to do more testing before they could finally replace the rotors under warranty, and I just laughed inside thinking... yeah this problem is going away RIGHT now.

GM needs to stand behind these cars and fix the problem. Instead they are giving you service bulletins saying 'if it still vibrates after all this, its a normal operation of the vechile'

I'm sorry but this has completely turned me off on GM. Those of you who can live with the problem hats off to you, and those who do not have it, congratulations. For the sake of the value of these cars, I pray for the owners sakes that they fix the issue, as it can be damaging to the brand over all.

Thanks everyone, and its likely I'll be departing from this forum now, but it was cool while it lasted.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I got tired of the 'joy rides' the car kept getting every time I dropped it off to get the issue looked at. And what pissed me off, is first time it was 10 miles, 2nd time it was 30 miles, and they called me right while I was closing the deal on the lambo to tell me, I had to bring it in AGAIN to do more testing before they could finally replace the rotors under warranty, and I just laughed inside thinking... yeah this problem is going away RIGHT now.

GM needs to stand behind these cars and fix the problem. Instead they are giving you service bulletins saying 'if it still vibrates after all this, its a normal operation of the vechile'

I'm sorry but this has completely turned me off on GM. Those of you who can live with the problem hats off to you, and those who do not have it, congratulations. For the sake of the value of these cars, I pray for the owners sakes that they fix the issue, as it can be damaging to the brand over all.

Thanks everyone, and its likely I'll be departing from this forum now, but it was cool while it lasted.
GM needs to cancel some dealerships or find a way to control them with monetary sanctions. Then they need to require every dealership who sells ZR1's to train at least one tech specifically for the ZR1 and send them to school for certification. It frustrates me that they are practicing on our cars because they are a low production vehicle.

Drop around from time to time. Let us know the pro's and cons of your new ride. It's OK to gush over it when done tastefully

And you might find it interesting to see what kind of rotors will be on the C7

Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Squeely brakes...this normal????? Also on uneven dips the front ends pops pulling out of driveways. This the carbon fiber front end flexing. Want to know if I am not the only one with these two issues.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No squeaks or pops here.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,636 Likes on 1,748 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
GM needs to cancel some dealerships or find a way to control them with monetary sanctions. Then they need to require every dealership who sells ZR1's to train at least one tech specifically for the ZR1 and send them to school for certification. It frustrates me that they are practicing on our cars because they are a low production vehicle.

And you might find it interesting to see what kind of rotors will be on the C7

There is a Dealership here that needs to NEVER get near a ZR ever Or any Corvette/car etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2010, 14000 miles all good except I can turn the vibration on and off with tire/wheel location on the car.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR
Advanced

I apologize for not responding to a few things related to my post, while I am not sure I will stay around (I accidentally forgot to unsubscribe to this thread and responses shows up in my email today), its not because I have distain for any of the members, but its a brand/car I no longer have, so staying current on it doesn't do much for me. But again nothing against the members on this forum, just not a fan of GM and ZR1s, (keep in mind I have never owned any other GM products, so this one tainted me pretty bad). OH and as a side note, IT TOO has Carbon Ceramic Brakes, and what do you know ..... no vibrations at any speed, well ok I have only confirmed up to 115mph.

anyways, since you guys are cool, hopefully you won't mind me sharing a few photos of what replaced my ZR1:

Last edited by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR; 07-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

I'm a fan of many cars and yours is one of them. Congratulations and I hope you have no issues with your Lambo.

Regarding pops and sqeaky brakes..I have neither.

But honestly, I have never owned a car that didn't develop a squeak or rattle somewhere after several thousand miles, be it foreign or domestic

Get notified of new replies

To Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????

Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Pilot03EBZO6
Advanced

I'm betting your CC brakes were made by the same company that made the Lambos CC brakes (Brembo). So blaming GM is not necessarily where you should be placing the blame. You can however blame the way the dealership treated the problem and tried to solve the problem.. That's unfortunate. But saying GM is the cause is not correct and you could just as easily had the same issue on your lambo had Brembo delivered them the same unbalanced CC rotors. Sweet new ride though! It will get plenty of looks - I will be sure to wave as I pass you on the highway

http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...c%20discs.aspx
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,636 Likes on 1,748 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Pilot03EBZO6
I'm betting your CC brakes were made by the same company that made the Lambos CC brakes (Brembo). So blaming GM is not necessarily where you should be placing the blame. You can however blame the way the dealership treated the problem and tried to solve the problem.. That's unfortunate. But saying GM is the cause is not correct and you could just as easily had the same issue on your lambo had Brembo delivered them the same unbalanced CC rotors. Sweet new ride though! It will get plenty of looks - I will be sure to wave as I pass you on the highway

http://www.brembo.com/en/car/origina...c%20discs.aspx
My car has had the vibration problem, GM sent top people to fix what the Dealership messed up ( the Dealership that should not be in the same zip code as a ZR1) and they have continued to update me on the rotors etc should I want it looked at further. Other than that the car has been PERFECT and too much funRob, a lil over a month unttil we return to PBC after our lil tour through MPG this past weekend
Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Pilot03EBZO6
Advanced

Sounds great Deb - we will be ready for everyone.. You will be getting much more of a look at a "normal" production day this year but still should be interesting for everyone who attends.. Also almost came up to Bakers this past weekend but was tied up with other stuff and couldn't make it - next time for sure! I have had the Z out quite a bit this summer and have had too much fun with it - it's nice to be King on the road

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Biggest ZR1 ISSUES/PROBLEMS..RECALLS?????