Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best way to fix engine block surface? Coolant leaking on new engine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the Permatex Copper spray-a-gasket stuff. I assume I should spray the new MLS gasket with this to aid in sealing...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

i would go through the trouble and have it repaired properly. if that cylinder hydros, the whole motor will be junk. seriously take the time to do the right thing, you know you want it to be perfect. maybe contact seller/shipper and give em hell?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Default did you retorque heads after you ran it?

If not better do it next time just in case.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by erikszr1
i would go through the trouble and have it repaired properly. if that cylinder hydros, the whole motor will be junk. seriously take the time to do the right thing, you know you want it to be perfect. maybe contact seller/shipper and give em hell?

Although it may be timely and possibly costly to pull the engine, you'll regret not doing it if your setup explodes due to "the fix"

Fix it right and be done with it...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by double06
If not better do it next time just in case.
I did not. I shall this time. I am using ARP head studs and ARP Ultra torque lube though.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Used Alvin's Products High Temp LabMetal thats good up to 1000 degrees to fill surface imperfection. Hand sanded it, allowed to cure for a week, then used copper gasket spray with a new GM MLS gasket. I am letting it cure for another week now that it is all re-assembled. I plan to fire it up either this Friday or Saturday to see if it stays sealed. Then after its gets hot and completely cools back down, I am going to re-torque the head bolts. Wish me luck...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE...

Did a retorque after heat up and cool down. Have since put over 400 miles on it with zero issues. Flushed cooling system twice. Changed oil twice. It is now at the dyno for some tuning. So thus far, it is sealed up good.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

Default retorque

when you retorqued did you find a few bolts/nuts where loose or maybe a better word lost some of the torque and had to be tightened up.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes they did. (ARP head studs)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
UPDATE...

Did a retorque after heat up and cool down. Have since put over 400 miles on it with zero issues. Flushed cooling system twice. Changed oil twice. It is now at the dyno for some tuning. So thus far, it is sealed up good.
Good to hear
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ANGRY Z
UPDATE...

Awesome!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:58 PM
ANGRY Z
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE: Still going strong at 11.7psi, 700rwhp and have put over 12,000 miles on it. Also, wanted to throw up one of my PM replies to members that have asked me about this over the years. *Yes I carefully and lightly hand sanded the damaged area, used a plastic putty spreader to build up the area as (trying to keep it flat as possible), and used a heat gun to cure. Then after several days of letting it dry, lightly hand sanded it to get it as flat and smooth as possible. I then used spray copper gasket on both the head surface, deck surface, and the new MLS gasket. I am now running nearly 10 psi with no problems. (knock on wood). The exact name of what I used was Alvin's Lab Metal. And I believe the spray copper gasket maker was Permatex brand from Advance Auto. Oh and I also heat cured by starting the engine, getting warm, then allowing to cool for 24 hours, then another start letting it get hot, then cool completely. That was everything got to harden up without any actual pressure exerted on it. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-14-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best way to fix engine block surface? Coolant leaking on new engine.