Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tire Install Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 PM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Install Disaster

I went to get my new Supercar F1 Gen 2s installed at a Goodyear Tire Advanced AutoCare Center and it was a disaster. First I told them to use my pucks, and they had no idea what to do with them. I stand outside watching them, and they decide to rack it on their allignment machine because? I guess they thought they wouldn't be able to use their regular racks. They used old rotors under the ramps to allow for no high siding of the car but the moron can't drive and spins the tires and the rotors, used to elevate the ramps, shoot out and the rockers end up scraping on the way up. Then they remove the wheels and try for 20 minutes to remove the tire with no luck. Really, you don't know how to take a tire off a rim?One of the guys comes over to me and points out some big gashes on the spokes and various other scratches and says that there is no way we could have done this. The wheels were powder coated 3 weeks ago and the car has been sitting in the garage since. I washed the car yesterday before I brought it in and there wasn't a mark on any of the wheels. All I could really say was wow. The salesman says they aren't able to handle these things and basically leaves it for me to deal with. They sell the tires but can't mount them without destroying your finish? Keep in mind that I asked for their best tire guy and they give me Sanford and Son. Sanford was even training someone. Yes, practicing on a Z06. I tell them to remount wheels and on my way home @ 45mph I get a shake from the rear. It turns out they remounted but didn't put any weights on the wheel to balance it out. I called Jason from Vette Culture and they just took care of it. Loaning me a wheel and tire, having the wheel re powder coated, and new tires put on. It's one thing to screw up, but another to 1) blame me and 2) not even try and take care of it. I wouldn't even let them drive it off the rack and as I'm backing out the salesman wants me to step inside because they would like my future business. Wow, incompetence and arrogance. F^%k you GoodYear.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Qmax03
Advanced

Awesome.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 PM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

I forgot to mention that they inflated the tires to 45 lbs.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

That pretty much validates my decision to never buy anything Goodyear again.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Good mechanics are hard to find. If they are smart enough to be a good mechanic, they usually go find a better paying job.

Don't think you'll ever find a good mechanic working for peanuts for long.

Places like the OP described will hire anyone that can show up to work on time (regardless of ability).
Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

unbelievable (too sad)...!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 AM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

Gonna call corporate tomorrow and see how they will deal with this. We take such good care of our z cars and these grease monkeys do all the damage. I just can't quite grasp that a Goodyear Tire shop can't install a Goodyear tire. As I was leaving they said they were trying to do me a favor by not charging me extra for the large tires.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

Originally Posted by CGZO6
Good mechanics are hard to find. If they are smart enough to be a good mechanic, they usually go find a better paying job.

Don't think you'll ever find a good mechanic working for peanuts for long.

Places like the OP described will hire anyone that can show up to work on time (regardless of ability).
Old 05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a crap shoot with those places.

Sucks. Did they finally admit fault?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 AM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

Didn't stay around long enough to hear more excuses. As they were lowering the car, I hopped in and started to back off their rack, they all stood around almost in amazement, like a group of deer stunned by headlights, that I didn't want to talk in their office. So worried about covering their asses and how this may affect them, they made the situation worse. Like I want to drive my wheel 2 hrs round trip, waste 2 hrs watching Sanford and son screwing up my car, and drive around for a week on 3 black wheels and one grey, all to try to cheat goodyear out of powder coating. Another thing I forgot to mention; they didn't know how to remove the adhesive from the weights so they were gonna scrape it off with a screw driver. Honestly,at this point I wouldn't trust these morons to pick up my dogs poop, even with supervision they would screw it up.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Do mention you will contacting the BBB as well as posting a choice internet review if you are not taken care of.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have plenty of options here...but first try to see what the alledged installer will do....if you are not satisfied then go up a notch to regional...then corporate, then BBB....maybe even your local newspaper or TV station if they have a consumer section.
Hope you do well and good luck.
I agree with many here....but Discount has been good for me ...I have gone around the car with the rep before starting....and even take a few pics with my phone camera, so that all are on the same page.....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 AM
wolfgangs
Heel & Toe

The wheels are not that big of deal, my rockers are though. I will let you all know what happens, but I'm tired of other people trashing the things I work for. If I wanted to scratch up my car then I would, I don't need to pay someone to do that. It sure is nice to have a place to talk about things like this. Wife thinks its no big deal, but you guys understand. I like that. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 AM
No4Play
Racer

Sorry for your misfortune...I use Discount Tire in my area only because they have a lot of experience with higher end vehicles and the more expensive wheels as well. They always do a walk-around and fill out a card reporting any existing damage. I have been dealing with them for so long that they always take extra special attention to my vehicles. Every time I get a rotation I bring pizza's for the crew. It's the least I can do for them considering they always give me great deals or price match & beat and they treat me and my car like a first rate customer.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM
GrillnZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use Goodyear tires if they were free.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Don't feel too bad... my local Chevrolet dealer was unable to mount a set of stock GY F1's on my stock Z06 rims. They told me to take it down the road and have it done somewhere else because their equipment would ruin the rim trying to get the tire on and off. So much for servicing what you sell...

U.M.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 AM
efi-street
Advanced

For this reason, I decided to use a chevrolet dealer that sells/services a lot of corvettes when I had mine mounted/balanced. It was expensive and they kept the car all day, but I did have peace of mind about it. Hopefully these dirtbags will fix this for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Install Disaster

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I guess I'm lucky. I've used GY several times with my vette and never any gouges or scrapes or unbalanced tires. I found out which shop could handle these tires and had positive reviews through TireRack before I took it there.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
DON T.
Drifting

:
Originally Posted by wolfgangs
The wheels are not that big of deal, my rockers are though. I will let you all know what happens, but I'm tired of other people trashing the things I work for. If I wanted to scratch up my car then I would, I don't need to pay someone to do that. It sure is nice to have a place to talk about things like this. Wife thinks its no big deal, but you guys understand. I like that. Thank you.
100%....Almost as bad as the local chevy dealership. The senior service manager had me wait two hours for his best tire changer to install my new rims a few months ago. ofcourse i waited, but im learning as everyone here has that it is hard to find anyone who can work on our z cars without tearing up what we worked so hard for wish you better luck in the future
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Sounds like the average experience at the average local tire shop. Really need to do some research and find out first hand if these techs know how to deal with a Z06 and the big tires/wheels. Good, caring techs are hard to find...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tire Install Disaster