Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hit the track today

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Hit the track today

We went to the track today ,temperature was ideal here in montreal nice tail wind wasnt planning on running but the weather was to nice to resist.First time at Napierville dragway this year,on regular street tires though not runflats,dunlop uhf,1.87 sixty foot time 11.74 at 123.89mph,07 z06.Next time out will be on drag radials as i feel these cars are seriously held back by lack of traction.Got my tires waiting to receive my wheels and then we will see what she can do with proper hookup.I seriously dont see how anyone had seen low elevens much less high tens on stock rubber at nearly 130 mph.Ill be running 17x9.5 wheels with Mickey Thompson drag radials next time i go.Was a fun day had a couple of buddies there .
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

I must add that i have less than ten runs total with this car since i first bought it.I think 11.5 will pretty much be the best it will go without drag radials,that of course with a few more practice runs.Il never get to know for sure because it will be drag radials only when i hit the track from now on.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

what mods do you have?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

today i had a cold air and a tune last year i ran 11.77 at the same mph all stock so the tune and cai did nothing to make it any faster.Although on the dyno i did gain 30 h.p and 30 ft/lbs of torque.The car feels excaclty the same as it did all stock.Same mph essectially same time in the quarter.The best thing about the tune was getting rid of the caggs,1st to 1 skip shift ,man that was annoying.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

DRs will show you its alot faster with the Intake/Tune since you'll be able to go WOT sooner, I have those same mods its pulls a good bit harder after those
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

the car is fast so its hard to feel the difference but i m hoping that with drag radials ill see good times.As i said i have less than ten runs total with the car so the times will drop but people hitting 129 and 130 all stock,i dont see that as reality.11.2 on drag radials would be nice but it wont be easy.Got to get the right clutch action going and make sure i get 7000 pms out of first and second gears.I think i m shifting a bit early out of first and second and i am leaving a couple of tenths and mph on the table.We will soon find out.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Those people are also running at tracks known to be fast and have like -2000da so their times/traps are irrelevant to me, most people are only trapping 119-124ish stock it seems typically. But you'll notice when you put the DRs on and more passes, my goal would just be a low to mid 11@125-127 if I were you that'd be plenty respectable IMO
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
the car is fast so its hard to feel the difference but i m hoping that with drag radials ill see good times.As i said i have less than ten runs total with the car so the times will drop but people hitting 129 and 130 all stock,i dont see that as reality.11.2 on drag radials would be nice but it wont be easy.Got to get the right clutch action going and make sure i get 7000 pms out of first and second gears.I think i m shifting a bit early out of first and second and i am leaving a couple of tenths and mph on the table.We will soon find out.
Seat time......nuff said.

Now it might be easier for you to appreciate some of the driving accomplishments of the more skilled Z06 drivers.

None of us who have hit high traps speeds or low ET's did it on the first 10 passes.

You'll need to get into 4th gear at the 1000' mark to run the upper 120's.....you'll be limited to mid 120's at the limiter in 3rd gear on stock diameter tires.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Those people are also running at tracks known to be fast and have like -2000da so their times/traps are irrelevant to me, most people are only trapping 119-124ish stock it seems typically. But you'll notice when you put the DRs on and more passes, my goal would just be a low to mid 11@125-127 if I were you that'd be plenty respectable IMO
Seat time, seat time, seat time.

I ran my 10.92@129 in AZ with a DA well above 1500'.
When a couple of us made the trip out to NorCal to run Sac a year or so ago, most everyone ran about .14-.20 faster in the lower DA.

With practice, you shouldn't have any issues running low-mid 11's in your local.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

You are right i am going through the traps at the end of third gear,and, i feel that with 17 inch drag radials ill shift into 4 th gear and raise my mph.This and the fact that i feel i am shifting early out of first and second gear will lower my e.t and raise my mph.Thanks a lot FNBADAZ06 I know i cand rive and seat time is priceless when getting familiar with a manual high powered car.I should be in the 1.6 range sixty foot times on drag radials ,raise my 1-2 and 2-3 shift points ,hit 4th at 1000 feet and break all the records.Oops i m getting ahead of myself .Anyway ill keep you posted with my times and trap speeds on drag radials within 10 days .Thanks again.

Last edited by camirocz; 05-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Address the driver skill before jumping to tires. All they will do is mask your errors and you still won't be as fast as you can. I personally ran a 11.6 @124 with a 1.8 60' in regular Georgia weather last year in April. This was on NT-05s with an airaid intake, vette air, bassani exhaust and a ****** MTI tune. Also I was at full tire pressure and on zr1 replicas which are heavier than stock
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Seat time, seat time, seat time.

I ran my 10.92@129 in AZ with a DA well above 1500'.
When a couple of us made the trip out to NorCal to run Sac a year or so ago, most everyone ran about .14-.20 faster in the lower DA.

With practice, you shouldn't have any issues running low-mid 11's in your local.
to be honest your time is way more impressive then theirs
You are right i am going through the traps at the ned of third gear,and, i feel that with 17 inch drag radials ill shift into 4 th gear and raise my mph.This and the fact that i feel i am shifting early out of first and second gear will lower my e.t and raise my mph.Thanks a lot FNBADAZ06 I know i cand rive and seat time is priceless when getting familiar with a manual high powered car.I should be in the 1.6 range sixty foot times on drag radials ,raise my 1-2 and 2-3 shift points ,hit 4th at 1000 feet and break all the records.Oops i m getting ahead of myself .Anyway ill keep you posted with my times and trap speeds on drag radials within 10 days .Thanks again.
Just go practice on the street to see what the max MPH you can be at in 1st and 2nd, wont take very long to figure out like 2minutes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Whatacop drag radials dont mask your errors they help you get out of the hole.My mistake is shifting out early out of 1st and 2nd.Your times are with more stuff than i have and i ran the same 11.7 100 per cent stock last year.Your mph is no higher than mine so you need to practice you shift points as well .FNBADA gave me the right advice and until another guy much faster than me talks he is the only one s advice i m going to follow.You also had Nittos on which hook up better than my little generals and i still went 1.87.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Whatacop drag radials dont mask your errors they help you get out of the hole.My mistake is shifting out early out of 1st and 2nd.Your times are with more stuff than i have and i ran the same 11.7 100 per cent stock last year.Your mph is no higher than mine so you need to practice you shift points as well .FNBADA gave me the right advice and until another guy much faster than me talks he is the only one s advice i m going to follow.You also had Nittos on which hook up better than my little generals and i still went 1.87.
Don't get all twisted. I never said I was a pro. That was my first time out in the car. Also that's without doing a burnout. Had I done one and aired my tires down I'm sure my 60' would have improved. I also was consistent all day. Out of something like 7 runs most of them were 11.6-11.7
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You are right in that short shifting will indeed kill your times.

Also, I'd go ahead and proceed with your plans for the drag radials.

Running the drags on street tires in these cars, I believe is a lot safer with a stickier drag radials than with the street tires.

Indeed, show me a C6 Z06 in here or a C6 ZR1 which has hit the wall at the drags, and 9 out of ten times I'll show you a car which was on it's stock street tires when it did it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...lked-away.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/easter...riday-ned.html

Street tires are for the street. Track tires are for the track. Get the drag radials, heat them up and enjoy better traction and safety at the drag strip.

Just me, and I am certainly no expert, just me now, and after seeing several 2.x 60ft times on street tires from Nittos NT05s, to Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs, but I have gotten to a point to where I believe at the stock C6 Z06's power level, running one of these cars on a drag strip on it's street tires, especially at a typical test and tune with the usual poor track prep associated with such events, is a complete waste of time, and an exposure to unnecessary risk, over and above that already taken, and you are already assuming, when you go to the dragstrip anyway because of the poor traction your street tires are going to offer you there.

Think about it. Callaway makes no attempt post up their Supercharged grand sports quarter mile times at drag strips on street tires. They use, and tell you in their promotional literature and advertising that they are using, drag radials on it, when they go to establish it's quarter mile results for their advertising purposes.

They don't even waste time on street tires.

I feel this way about doing so at test and tunes where track prep is typically poor to non existent and on crowded tracks, cars spilling their guts on the track and making a crowded day even more crowded and backed up due to cleanup, and thus lean more towards running rentals when or if I can, or I don't track the car at all.

Finally, if you notice, most of those fast times you referred to in your earlier post, were during rentals, where only a few cars were running, driving could be dialed in through multiple passes, tire pressures and launch RPMs dialed in... Hard to do in only 2 or 3 passes during a typical test and tune. Add onto that track prep was out to whatever distance the guys renting the track wanted to pay for and the picture becomes clearer.

Good luck though. And get those drag radials.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-13-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Junk Box
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You are right in that short shifting will indeed kill your times.

Also, I'd go ahead and proceed with your plans for the drag radials.

Running the drags on street tires in these cars, I believe is a lot safer with a stickier drag radials than with the street tires.

Indeed, show me a C6 Z06 in here or a C6 ZR1 which has hit the wall at the drags, and 9 out of ten times I'll show you a car which was on it's stock street tires when it did it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...lked-away.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/easter...riday-ned.html

Street tires are for the street. Track tires are for the track. Get the drag radials, heat them up and enjoy better traction and safety at the drag strip.

Just me, and I am certainly no expert, just me now, and after seeing several 2.x 60ft times on street tires from Nittos NT05s, to Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs, but I have gotten to a point to where I believe at the stock C6 Z06's power level, running one of these cars on a drag strip on it's street tires, especially at a typical test and tune with the usual poor track prep associated with such events, is a complete waste of time, and an exposure to unnecessary risk, over and above that already taken, and you are already assuming, when you go to the dragstrip anyway because of the poor traction your street tires are going to offer you there.

Think about it. Callaway makes no attempt post up their Supercharged grand sports quarter mile times at drag strips on street tires. They use, and tell you in their promotional literature and advertising that they are using, drag radials on it, when they go to establish it's quarter mile results for their advertising purposes.

They don't even waste time on street tires.

I feel this way about doing so at test and tunes where track prep is typically poor to non existent and on crowded tracks, cars spilling their guts on the track and making a crowded day even more crowded and backed up due to cleanup, and thus lean more towards running rentals when or if I can, or I don't track the car at all.

Finally, if you notice, most of those fast times you referred to in your earlier post, were during rentals, where only a few cars were running, driving could be dialed in through multiple passes, tire pressures and launch RPMs dialed in... Hard to do in only 2 or 3 passes during a typical test and tune. Add onto that track prep was out to whatever distance the guys renting the track wanted to pay for and the picture becomes clearer.

Good luck though. And get those drag radials.
I was just about to start a new thread asking about all these videos (only a few actually) I see with Z06's crashing at the strip. The video I saw was of a Z06 getting out of control from the 3rd to 4th shift - I think - and of course with TC OFF.

So you're saying that with DRs you shouldn't have this problem?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Junk Box
I was just about to start a new thread asking about all these videos (only a few actually) I see with Z06's crashing at the strip. The video I saw was of a Z06 getting out of control from the 3rd to 4th shift - I think - and of course with TC OFF.

So you're saying that with DRs you shouldn't have this problem?
No, definitely not saying that.

What I'm saying is most street tires offer less grip than drag radials.

Just me, but if I'm going down a drag strip at WOT, in a car as powerful as a C6 Z06, then I want a tire on the rear of it which will give me better traction and grip than I'll get with it's stock runflat.

On top of that, the drag radial also gives me my best chance at a good quarter mile result. Spinning on my street tires is just wasting gas, wasting the track fee, and running risk I no longer want to add onto the risk I'm already taking.

You don't want to be spinning and sliding due to lack of traction, with your foot all the way into the throttle and that wall just a few feet away, and that is more likely to happen on a street tire than on a well heated drag radial running the right tire pressure.

But all of that said, drag radials are no guarantee to keep you out of the wall if the car gets loose on you.

Get notified of new replies

To Hit the track today

Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Junk Box
Instructor

No, definitely not saying that.

What I'm saying is most street tires offer less grip than drag radials.

Just me, but if I'm going down a drag strip at WOT, in a car as powerful as a C6 Z06, then I want a tire on the rear of it which will give me better traction and grip than I'll get with it's stock runflat.

On top of that, the drag radial also gives me my best chance at a good quarter mile result. Spinning on my street tires is just wasting gas, wasting the track fee, and running risk I no longer want to add onto the risk I'm already taking.

You don't want to be spinning and sliding due to lack of traction, with your foot all the way into the throttle and that wall just a few feet away, and that is more likely to happen on a street tire than on a well heated drag radial running the right tire pressure.

But all of that said, drag radials are no guarantee to keep you out of the wall if the car gets loose on you.
Well yea, I figure that's obvious. Just scary that the rear can just pop out. Race with TC ON I guess?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Junk Box
Well yea, I figure that's obvious. Just scary that the rear can just pop out. Race with TC ON I guess?
I've made quarter mile passes in my car on street tires, but I'm through doing that.

As per running with TC on, I don't think you can even do a burnout with TC on.

If you refer to Ranger's write up, he recommends making quarter mile passes with TC off, and explains why.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1577460243
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Junk Box
Instructor

I've made quarter mile passes in my car on street tires, but I'm through doing that.

As per running with TC on, I don't think you can even do a burnout with TC on.

If you refer to Ranger's write up, he recommends making quarter mile passes with TC off, and explains why.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1577460243
Yea, but I was just thinking of a way to prevent the back from going buck wild in between shifts half way down the track.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hit the track today