Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Runflats: are Michelins worth the extra $ over Bridgestone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
08zee
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's last Wednesday and discovered when I got home that the front tires (275-35-18's) did not have the posted tread depth of 9.5/32". While the rear Z06 tires (325-30-19's) had 9.5/32", the front tires were not but 8/32", which means that of +/- 6/32" of usable tread before you get to the wear bars, the fronts only had about 4.5/32" of usable tread. I didn't pay that kind of money to get tires that had +/- 25% less tread than advertised. I'm currently working on sending them back and putting Bridgestone run flats on the Z. BTW, I have run Nitto Invo's on the street and Nitto NT05's on the road course and was happy with both but now am going to use the Z for some longer distance driving and wanted run flats.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 08zee
I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's last Wednesday and discovered when I got home that the front tires (275-35-18's) did not have the posted tread depth of 9.5/32". While the rear Z06 tires (325-30-19's) had 9.5/32", the front tires were not but 8/32", which means that of +/- 6/32" of usable tread before you get to the wear bars, the fronts only had about 4.5/32" of usable tread. I didn't pay that kind of money to get tires that had +/- 25% less tread than advertised. I'm currently working on sending them back and putting Bridgestone run flats on the Z. BTW, I have run Nitto Invo's on the street and Nitto NT05's on the road course and was happy with both but now am going to use the Z for some longer distance driving and wanted run flats.
One other factor is the UTQG: (Ware Rating) Michelin ZP & Goodyear RFs are rated at 220, Bridgestone PP RFs are rated at 280, therefore, for street use they will provide longer life.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
CB1953
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced the stock Goodyears on my 06 with Bridgestones and thought they were great, but the Michelins that came standard on my Carbon are a LOT better tire in my opinion. In every aspect I think they are a superior tire.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was going to go with Bridgestones, but they were more than the Pilots a/s run flats.

If like me and could care less about cornering, just a smooth ride on the 4 lane. The
stocks do not seem that much different then the pilots. Drove for about 20 miles at
highway speed, if didn't just pay $1600, would have never known new tires were on the
car. Pilots have more tread than when GY were new, longer warranty. Surprised
with all the talk about pilots, no big difference.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Was going to go with Bridgestones, but they were more than the Pilots a/s run flats.

If like me and could care less about cornering, just a smooth ride on the 4 lane. The
stocks do not seem that much different then the pilots. Drove for about 20 miles at
highway speed, if didn't just pay $1600, would have never known new tires were on the
i did not grasp what you were trying to say.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
very simple question i have decided that runflat is for me, so are the michelins that much better if at all over the Bridgestone to warrant the $400-$500 more?
ABSOULTELY NOT, BStones all the way, especially for how WELL they hook for a runflat (had them 1.5 years) and b/c of their higher treadwear rating (280) this is an easy decision!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Just the difference in road noise compared to the stock tires would be more than enough to let me know the tires had been changed on my car.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Daytona-flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by Jorday
Just the difference in road noise compared to the stock tires would be more than enough to let me know the tires had been changed on my car.
Yes, the PSII ZP tires are so loud that it's hard to hear my wife.

Not always a bad thing!

Last edited by Daytona-flyer; 05-17-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-flyer
Yes, the PSII ZP tires are so loud that it's hard to hear my wife.

Not always a bad thing!
This was not my experience.

Stock GY's on my 07 Coupe were significantly louder than the obviously larger-sized Michelin PS2's on my Z06. They seemed to be much more responsive on the road as well, but of course that comparison could be lost to simply different platforms.

I will say that, compared to the OEM GY's... I will never go back. Very happy with the PS2's as a daily driver/weekend warrior tire.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

To most ,the Corvette is a performance car and as such its tires should do everything well and the ride qualities of the oem GY's suck.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GMuffley
If you want crisp turn-in, the OEM Goodyears are hard to beat.
That is important to me. I'm not driving the car at the limit on a track. I like the responsiveness of the GY runflats. I may try to find some new takeoffs from someone who dumped them for replacements.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84
This was not my experience.

Stock GY's on my 07 Coupe were significantly louder than the obviously larger-sized Michelin PS2's on my Z06. They seemed to be much more responsive on the road as well, but of course that comparison could be lost to simply different platforms.

I will say that, compared to the OEM GY's... I will never go back. Very happy with the PS2's as a daily driver/weekend warrior tire.
Agree. The stock GY tires produce WAY, WAY more road noise than the michelin PS2.

In addition, the PS2 look better, have more traction and last longer.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
Agree. The stock GY tires produce WAY, WAY more road noise than the michelin PS2.

In addition, the PS2 look better, have more traction and last longer.
...yes, yes and yes.

PS2 ZPs are very quiet tires.

I personally haven't pushed them very hard yet but others that have said that they're a great combo of track/street tire. They've also gotten double to triple tread life over the GYs. That's a huge consideration when considering the slight cost difference. If you have to buy 2-3 sets of tires to one, you've just flushed mucho $$$ down the toilet, had less traction, and noisier tires to boot (with GYs).
Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Daytona-flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
...yes, yes and yes.

PS2 ZPs are very quiet tires.
I can't believe we have the same tires! My ZPs are the loudest tires I have ever heard. I hate them on the street. On the track however, they stick quite well when warm.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:42 AM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Never had Bridgestone's but I do have Michelins. I didn't care for the ride or performance of the OE tires. I bought ZR1 takeoffs (wheels, tires, and sensors) cheaper than I could get the tires (in Z06 sizes) alone for. I love the Michelins. The car handles great, launches on the track much better, and the ride is much quieter.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM
i_york
Burning Brakes

Can't comment on the Bridgestones, but I have the PS2 ZP in stock sizes and I'm impressed. Can't comment on the noise of the tyres as I have long-tube headers, high-flow cats and tiny custom mufflers!

In terms of dry grip on a warm-ish (70*) day, I can go WOT in 2nd gear and they just about hold. If I punch it around 3,000-4,000 in 2nd, they break loose, but not badly enough to back-out of the throttle. This is with an LPE 616 motor.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Runflats: are Michelins worth the extra $ over Bridgestone?