Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] are after market exhausts a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a heads/cam/FAST 102/CAI Z with AR headers and Xpipe. I'm looking for a catback to change the sound, I am currently running OEM mufflers with the mod and I think it sounds like crap.

Do it for the sound and your personal preference.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I have a head /cam motor, when I drive down the road, the cell phones/cameras come out, even the neighbors get on the porch! I have AMR LT Headers with a Fusion Cat Back, really, the sounds that come out of it, are worth every cent, this is the most Badd Assed sounding car I've ever owned!!! sounds like a race car, the best part is, the sound gets louder, only as aggressive as you get with the throttle, no drone either.Unless your funds are limited, do it, you
will love it!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Yorgaki1
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

I put the corsas on a few months ago for the sound. Dont forget also, you'll get $900 to $1000 when you go to sell them.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Ekliptix
Instructor

My results at the drag strip:
  • Stock - 121mph
  • Plus Halltec $500 intake and $500 Halltec tune + programmer: 122.5mph
  • Plus B&B PRT Exhast: 124mph

So, I'm much happier with my exhaust investment then the intake and mailorder tune since I seemed to gain the same mph but got the added benifit of the awesome sound. Also still sorting cat codes since the intake install.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I think its a waste of money but its not my money. Too each their own.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock Z mufflers sound like ****...

Valve open, valve closed, it still sounds like **** AND a lot of drone. I just put Corsas on my Z and they are the absolute best, in both sound and cutting the drone at 1.5K RPM. (I put Corsas on my C5 when I had that too)

If you're looking for HP gains, then don't waste your money on an after market exhaust, instead invest $300 and get a good tune, you should pick up anywhere from 25~35rwhp. If you're looking to get rid of drone and an excellent exhaust note, then Corsas are the way to go.....
Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

IMO Corsa Sports are C6 Exhaust perfection! I do, however, love to be able to switch into stealth mode when coming home from work late at night so I have ZR1 mufflers w/ a manual switch for now.

Regarding power increase; I had installed a Bassani system to try out just before going to the track recently and it was worth an average of +4 mph trap speed in the 1/4 over the 2011 Zr1 mufflers. You could feel the difference up top. I suspect Corsas would do about the same. Just sold the Bassani as it was a little louder than I liked during normal driving.

If you race your car, it will add noticable power. I'm not sure you would feel the same benefit on the street unless you like to temp fate, (and the police), w/ flat out runs.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

Originally Posted by Ekliptix
My results at the drag strip:
  • Stock - 121mph
  • Plus Halltec $500 intake and $500 Halltec tune + programmer: 122.5mph
  • Plus B&B PRT Exhast: 124mph

So, I'm much happier with my exhaust investment then the intake and mailorder tune since I seemed to gain the same mph but got the added benifit of the awesome sound. Also still sorting cat codes since the intake install.
An intake and exhaust might cause lean codes like a po171/174 but they shouldn't cause any catalyst related codes.

What code #'s do you have?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Ekliptix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yawlak80-86
An intake and exhaust might cause lean codes like a po171/174 but they shouldn't cause any catalyst related codes.

What code #'s do you have?
:thread hijack: PO430, and 420 I believe. It doesn't make sense to me that the intake would cause the cat codes to occur, but I had 5000mi of no codes before the intake. Jim suspects faulty cats. Occurs now with his tune or the stock tune, both with stock exhaust and catback.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
My Corsa Sports, which I love BTW, have NO DRONE!!! The problem with the stock system, with the flaps open, is the drone which at around 1500 RPM is intolerable, at least to me and the wife. But for HP gains, not worth it to go aftermarket unless you change the whole path.
I think Corsa advertises a 10hp increase with their exhaust but I hear that they weigh more than stock. It's better than nothing!

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 05-09-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have long wondered whether an exhaust system would be worth it. I love the Corsas, but I just wish they made it bi-modal. I don't want the attention at stoplights etc. I have a 600+whp head cam setup and I know uncorking the sound with the Corsas would sound amazing, but I don't want the attention ALL the time.

I am thinking about the Akrapovics for that reason. I like the weight savings, I just don't want the drone.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default back pressure/sound

Originally Posted by 548chevelle
I put this in the technical forum yesterday and got no response.

Been trying to decide which exhaust system to get for my Z06. Lotsa threads on the forum. I decided to do a base line test of the stock system. Hooked up a gauge to the exhaust pipe between the cat and muffler to see how much back pressure there was. Sure enough the pressure reading was pretty much linear with rpm. Just under 1" at idle up to 7-8" pressure at 6000 rpm. But here's the shocker. With the the bi-mode exhaust valve open there was ZERO back pressure at any rpm. The gauge didn't even twitch. So what's the big deal with after market exhaust systems? Exclusive of headers and cats of course. Have there been any tests with actual numbers showing an increase in power or decrease in 1/4 mile times?
in a video i did of my tear down and build check out the stock manifolds dividers i had the cats on the kooks x deleted

http://youtu.be/b9D9_Hnf3qk
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had stock old style exhaust, ZR1, Corsa and Akrapovich.

The new ZR1 style mufflers that come on the 2011+ cars offer a nice gain in sound quality both with the mufflers open and closed IMO.

The Corsa sounds awesome as well. No argument from me on that one. The main disadvantage for me with the Corsa was that a cam car with no cats and a Corsa was slightly on loud side for daily driving use.

With no cats the Akrapovich was pretty loud even with the mufflers closed.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I think Corsa advertises a 10hp increase with their exhaust but I hear that they weigh more than stock. It's better than nothing!
They may advertise it, but I don't believe it.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I didn't feel much of a difference with my Corsa HP wise but it sounds 10000x better and I dont think theres a better sounding exhaust made for Corvettes. I also thought my Corsa felt lighter than my stock mufflers, so I dont know about everyone saying they are heavier
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

For power...
Headers? No. Catback? Absolutely.

For sound
Headers - Louder and more raspy. Catback - Pick your poison. Raspy, growly, louder, dual-mode, and so on and so forth.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
SIC_C6
Racer

anyone have any reviews of the magnaflow set ups? and anyone have any actual weight numbers on the corsa? saw katech saved 12lbs
Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 AM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by Yawlak80-86
Regarding power increase; I had installed a Bassani system to try out just before going to the track recently and it was worth an average of +4 mph trap speed in the 1/4 over the 2011 Zr1 mufflers. You could feel the difference up top.
4mph. Pretty sure you're the only one to ever get those kind of results. If people could slap on an exhaust and almost guarantee pulling down 130mph trap speeds in their stock Z's, everyone would have them.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
losuy dollar per hp gain - it's all about the sound baby
Its all about the sound baby and letting that LS7 sing, if your a motor head just the sound makes the car 100% funner to driver. I have had the moddified stock muffler mod and to me it sounds GREAT, especially at WOT in 1st and 2nd gear, and this can be had for CHEAP ($250), and if your interested find another member with it and listen to it in person to see if it you like it (most do some dont).

Otherwise, to beat the vette tax get a used pair like I did with my Bullets, but hear the particular exahaust in person from a members car b/f pulling the trigger to MAKE CERTAIN that you love the sound! Im not thrilled with my Bullets thought they sounded meaner on my old C5 Z, I lke the GHLS (affordable) and B&B PRTs sound good with less drone than Bullets.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 05-10-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] are after market exhausts a waste of money?