Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vette Magazine 2012 cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I have a bad left knee, and sometimes I think I won't be able to use it to work the clutch in a few years. When I read the article about your car in the magazine it gave me hope that even if my knee goes bad, I can still drive my favorite high HP Corvette.
I have left knee and hip problems. I have some days where I would rather just take my wife's Lexus than endure the pain. I am not a fan of an automatic tranny, but if my Z was a DCT, it would be perfect. An automatic Z06 is still better than no Z06. Especially the beast on the Vette Mag Cover
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Senator Carbon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem for me with that cover. While not my taste, it was interesting to see what others like and do with their rides.

All the differences that we have is what makes this fun, IMO.

Enjoy the ride, whatever someone else might choose to do with theirs.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Z06-1
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Are you for real? .......seriously

Originally Posted by kverges
I stand confirmed in not being like most Vette owners.

My main point was I'd have learned to be proficient with the manual instead of converting to auto. But I think over 80% of Vettes are auto and this Z06 seems to be more about prestige than the fully involved driving experience. The owner's comments about his young age and spending more on mods than the car reinforces that in my mind. And am I right that there are no internal Lingenfelter parts or workmanship in the engine, but it wears Lingenfelter plastic coil covers? How about some Katech covers for weekends? I kind of draw the line on mods when they get past say, 50% of the car's value and are more show than go.

Again, to each their own, but my more hard core sports car buddies won't even consider a Z06 due to the cheezeball image it projects. Lotus, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari (and this car cost 430 money), Nissan, and other make the cut, but Vette, no way. Every one of them would be more turned off than ever by this car.

And far too often the Vette owner who shows up to drive on track is embarrassing in performance. I know several who can drive like aces, but most who show up have just these kinds of mods and get lapped by Spec Miatas.

I had hoped that the hyperbole would be fun for some, but again I miscalculated.

Oh well, on to the regularly scheduled broadcasting. I'm clearly out of touch.

PS one of my cars is a bascially stock '08 Z06, same color. Only mods are ducting to the front spindles and CCWs and slicks for the track (road course). I do have my poseur car or 2 I'll admit. My favorite cars for driving are race cars; sadly none are Corvettes but I make do.

Come on out to MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX any time and you can see the stable. I am not big on interweb posting.

'' WOW NOW THATS FUNNY''.........I THINK YOUR IN THE WRONG FORUM SUNSHINE . DO ME A FAVOR AND YOUTUBE'' C6 Z06 VS F-430 @SEBRING '' THEN GET BACK TO ME , OR BETTER YET DONT BOTHER.

PS: those r probably yr girlfriends in the ferrari.......
Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I say to each his own. Personally I'd like to see what my Z06 would be like to drive with an F1 Dual Clutch auto. I have a new Audi S5 Cabriolet with the dual clutch auto and I love it. I have never driven a Ferrari that seems like it shifts quicker than the Audi.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,959 Likes on 5,346 Posts

My main point was I'd have learned to be proficient with the manual instead of converting to auto. But I think over 80% of Vettes are auto and this Z06 seems to be more about prestige than the fully involved driving experience. The owner's comments about his young age and spending more on mods than the car reinforces that in my mind. And am I right that there are no internal Lingenfelter parts or workmanship in the engine, but it wears Lingenfelter plastic coil covers? How about some Katech covers for weekends? I kind of draw the line on mods when they get past say, 50% of the car's value and are more show than go.

Again, to each their own, but my more hard core sports car buddies won't even consider a Z06 due to the cheezeball image it projects. Lotus, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari (and this car cost 430 money), Nissan, and other make the cut, but Vette, no way. Every one of them would be more turned off than ever by this car.

And far too often the Vette owner who shows up to drive on track is embarrassing in performance. I know several who can drive like aces, but most who show up have just these kinds of mods and get lapped by Spec Miatas.

I had hoped that the hyperbole would be fun for some, but again I miscalculated.

PS one of my cars is a bascially stock '08 Z06, same color. Only mods are ducting to the front spindles and CCWs and slicks for the track (road course). I do have my poseur car or 2 I'll admit. My favorite cars for driving are race cars; sadly none are Corvettes but I make do.

Come on out to MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX any time and you can see the stable. I am not big on interweb posting.
I agree with you on some of your comments but there are some I have to take exception to. What I disagree on is the respect angle.

The Z06 gets lots of respect from Porsche, BMW and Ferrari owners. They regularly see the back end of one as it pulls away from them on the track so they do have to respect it. A number of them have purchased Z06s just so they can keep up.

Novices at the track in any brand of car are always lapped by slower cars. Some drive so poorly people on bicycles could lap them.

The big issue with a car like the one in the article is that it will not stand up to extensive track usage due to the automatic. Case in point a local guy has a supercharged 98 with an RPM automatic in the car. He does some drag racing with it but in the three times he has taken it to the track he has burned out the automatic twice even with a larger radiator, added transmission coolers, etc. RPM told him the torque convertor he was using was generating too much heat due to fluid shear and there was nothing he could do to stop the transmission from doing the same except stop driving on a road course. He is still a novice so is not a top level driver yet. Two weeks ago he came up to the track and took a ride with me and was amazed at how much he had to learn. He couldn't believe how well the car stuck in a corner, and how much of the time I had my foot to the floor. It made an impression on him about how much faster he could be conrnering but he said there was no way his transmission would hold up to the long periods of Wide Open Throttle I was getting and was seriously reconsidering his choice of an automatic.

By the way I am a Senior Citizen and have never worn any kind of chain. I have always let my right foot be my demonstration piece.

Here is a video a friend put together after I got him a ride in a Z06 that is driven by a person who is faster than I am.

Bill
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Way to show those euros who's boss!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Pantera
Also only 33, so the gold chain wearing era is before my time

I am 41 w/o gold chain.

Maybe some of th old guys can pass them down??

Maybe Jr needs an auto in his race car he might win one?
Gold is $1600 an ounce. I aint passin nuthin down to nobody LOL

Clif
Old 07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Keep working on that - we all could use some additional tolerance and acceptance. A closed mind is a small place to live
That is a super nice, polite but precise kick to the *****...LOL
Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM
ZO6FL
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Wow...I am glad you found my vette to be of such interest to write this.

There is a reason that RPM Transmissions is in business and a corvette forum sponsor as there are numerous Z06 and ZR1 transmission conversions done. Dale Ernhardt Jr. was having his Black Z06 converted to a 6L80 and picked up by the Kendrick Motorsports Truck, when mine was being delivered to me up at their shop....guess he is a mentally handicapped person too...This car happens to be my DD and I log 2-3k miles per month driving to clients all around the state. I have also done much work with LPE on my car which is why I have the power I do and has had additional work done down in Tampa.

As far as the carbon fiber and leather "brothel"....it all came from Katech/APSIS/Halltech, with the leather and seats from Caravaggio...all sponsors on here and people I trust to make some of the best parts around.

Maybe Vette magazine wrote the article as the car stood out from a everyday vette. The car has $84k in parts not including paint/labor and is lighter, faster, handles better, stops quicker, never a missed shift, while having an upgraded stereo and interior....if that doesn't make a Z06 better then to each their own. I don't expect my corvette to appeal to everyone....We are all unique in life and I don't see a problem making your car unique as well.

Spoiled,

I had the honor of my 96 Grand Sport sharing the cover and getting a 2 page write-up in Corvette Fever about 10 yrs ago and as a car guy it was one of the coolest moments of owning a Vette! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to put it out there not even considering that it may offend someone that really appreciates his ride is just unnecessary. Don't let a post like this take away the moment. Enjoy it! I've met you and seen your car at C & C. It's an awesome ride!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree with you on some of your comments but there are some I have to take exception to. What I disagree on is the respect angle.

The Z06 gets lots of respect from Porsche, BMW and Ferrari owners. They regularly see the back end of one as it pulls away from them on the track so they do have to respect it. A number of them have purchased Z06s just so they can keep up.

Novices at the track in any brand of car are always lapped by slower cars. Some drive so poorly people on bicycles could lap them.

The big issue with a car like the one in the article is that it will not stand up to extensive track usage due to the automatic. Case in point a local guy has a supercharged 98 with an RPM automatic in the car. He does some drag racing with it but in the three times he has taken it to the track he has burned out the automatic twice even with a larger radiator, added transmission coolers, etc. RPM told him the torque convertor he was using was generating too much heat due to fluid shear and there was nothing he could do to stop the transmission from doing the same except stop driving on a road course. He is still a novice so is not a top level driver yet. Two weeks ago he came up to the track and took a ride with me and was amazed at how much he had to learn. He couldn't believe how well the car stuck in a corner, and how much of the time I had my foot to the floor. It made an impression on him about how much faster he could be conrnering but he said there was no way his transmission would hold up to the long periods of Wide Open Throttle I was getting and was seriously reconsidering his choice of an automatic.

By the way I am a Senior Citizen and have never worn any kind of chain. I have always let my right foot be my demonstration piece.

Here is a video a friend put together after I got him a ride in a Z06 that is driven by a person who is faster than I am.

Bill
thank you for that video, fantastic, really shows the hard work it takes to drive these cars to the limit. i have a very long way to go
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
icrashevos
Racer

So your limit on any car is at most 50% of the cars value? Really? Good luck playing with those UGR TT Lambos on the highway if you've only got 50k to spend on a corvette. The TT kits themselves cost upwards of 60k unless I am mistaken, and they turn very low 10's with no launch, MEGA granny shifting, and letting off at the end.

Not trying to be a jerk, but from your experience, you sound like a tool. There's a reason why the Z06 beats those faster exotics around tracks. That's because it's a BETTER track car, even with the manual transmission. Plus, it's cheaper.

Spoiled, I've been looking at your car among others for quite a bit (I have a 06 VY Z06) and would have loved to see you do a black roof/halo! Ever since I did it to mine, it's constant compliments about how "mean" the car looks. Yours has the punch, though!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

^ Thanks Icrashevos.

Planning on blacking out the Halo, as well as its getting a procharger put on next week while I am overseas. When I get back on the 1st, I will be enjoying the car even more!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Default surprised

I am surprised from reading this thread - seems like the consensus is that we are hoping the c7 and future vettes don't have a clutch pedal? I was expecting to read the opposite. I guess either way is fine with me as long as it makes the vette a better track car and drag car. I got my 07 Z last year - I had never driven a manual before and I am 30 yrs old - not quite the 40 yr old virgin, but when a dealer offered me the keys to take out a supercharged Callaway GS, I had to make up some excuse because it was a manual and I couldn't drive it. I took a couple of lessons from an ex-Miami police officer turned driving instructor. It kinda freaked out the guy i bought the Z from when i told him, but I made it back home and now I'm starting to work on heel to toe. The Z is a great car to learn on. Going through the gears is so much fun. Now you're telling me they're going to make the new vettes without a manual - so ironic.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Fool!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Address please for the free gold chains

On a side note, Tom's car is one of the nicest on this board.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 AM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Wow...I am glad you found my vette to be of such interest to write this.

There is a reason that RPM Transmissions is in business and a corvette forum sponsor as there are numerous Z06 and ZR1 transmission conversions done. Dale Ernhardt Jr. was having his Black Z06 converted to a 6L80 and picked up by the Kendrick Motorsports Truck, when mine was being delivered to me up at their shop....guess he is a mentally handicapped person too...This car happens to be my DD and I log 2-3k miles per month driving to clients all around the state. I have also done much work with LPE on my car which is why I have the power I do and has had additional work done down in Tampa.

As far as the carbon fiber and leather "brothel"....it all came from Katech/APSIS/Halltech, with the leather and seats from Caravaggio...all sponsors on here and people I trust to make some of the best parts around.

Maybe Vette magazine wrote the article as the car stood out from a everyday vette. The car has $84k in parts not including paint/labor and is lighter, faster, handles better, stops quicker, never a missed shift, while having an upgraded stereo and interior....if that doesn't make a Z06 better then to each their own. I don't expect my corvette to appeal to everyone....We are all unique in life and I don't see a problem making your car unique as well.

I'm 33 as well. And I agree with everything you said, and am impressed with your smack talking capabilities as well.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vette Magazine 2012 cover