Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] anyone ever worry about flats when switching to regular tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Default anyone ever worry about flats when switching to regular tires?

i am in the market for tires and was curious if this is a concern. i have had very few tires go flat on me and usually it is a slow leak with a nail. i have personally never gotten a "blow out" but it concerns me to not have run flats with no spare tire in the car.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
06-Z0SICK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres some stuff you can buy that pumps the tires up and seals the hole. I think all the new GM cars are not coming with spare tires and even our little KIA's don't come with spares now and have this pump and seal kit....weird if you ask me i would rather a spare but for us vette guys i think thats our only choice
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 06-Z0SICK
theres some stuff you can buy that pumps the tires up and seals the hole. I think all the new GM cars are not coming with spare tires and even our little KIA's don't come with spares now and have this pump and seal kit....weird if you ask me i would rather a spare but for us vette guys i think thats our only choice
The new Malibu comes with the spray seal stuff but a spare tire is optional.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I personally would not put any goop in my tire because it can mess up the tire pressure sensors. I carry a portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter and a plug kit that I picked up at Autozone. I also carry a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove any nail or screw fragments. I had the opportunity to test it one time, and the plug held for a couple days with zero loss in pressure after which I took it and had the tire permanently patched.

This is the same solution that the factory provided with the C5 Z06, which did not have an option for runflats. Not having them isn't the end of the world like some would try to have you believe. If you're worried about weather, park under an overpass. If you''re worried about dirt on your clothes, keep a plastic painter's drop cloth in the cubby hole.

It's just as much work if not moreso to change to a spare tire on other vehicles, so I really don't understand why some people are so against running without runflats. It's a personal choice that is perfectly acceptable.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With the performance available with the Michelin RFT, I think the debate between RFT and non-RFT has lost much of its meaning. I see no downside except for the cost.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've had a few flat tires over the years and I still went non-RFs. I do bring along a repair kit with small compressor just in case. The current crop of RFs from Michelin and Bridgestone seem to be at least equal in performance with their non-RF counterparts.

For me, the main concern was cost - the run-flat just doesn't bring enough added value for the cost for me to justify it. That is a personal decision, though, and will be different for everyone.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
With the performance available with the Michelin RFT, I think the debate between RFT and non-RFT has lost much of its meaning. I see no downside except for the cost.
Cost is a huge factor when you only get 6-10K miles out of them. I am on my third set of tires in only 23K miles (well, rears - second set of fronts).
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
z10
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Read this:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ts-or-not.html

Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Kingsize
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope...
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,037 Likes on 469 Posts

no.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I personally would not put any goop in my tire because it can mess up the tire pressure sensors. I carry a portable air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter and a plug kit that I picked up at Autozone. I also carry a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove any nail or screw fragments. I had the opportunity to test it one time, and the plug held for a couple days with zero loss in pressure after which I took it and had the tire permanently patched.

This is the same solution that the factory provided with the C5 Z06, which did not have an option for runflats. Not having them isn't the end of the world like some would try to have you believe. If you're worried about weather, park under an overpass. If you''re worried about dirt on your clothes, keep a plastic painter's drop cloth in the cubby hole.

It's just as much work if not moreso to change to a spare tire on other vehicles, so I really don't understand why some people are so against running without runflats. It's a personal choice that is perfectly acceptable.

C5Zs came with a compressor and sealant. Not a plug kit.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by EViL427

100%

Add: I had Invo's mounted last Fall. I love the non-runflat. It definitely rides better and tires do not pickup rocks/debris like the runflats did, too.

Last edited by tim414; 05-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
GrillnZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a great misconception about run flats. I had 2 flats on my horrendous GYs and neither time did I drive home. There was no way I was going to risk driving 20 miles and removing a quarter panel with flailing tread. I keep a $9 air compressor and a plug kit. Both flats were on the rear and both times I was back on the road in 5 minutes. Let all of the air out of one of your tires and reply back how warm and fuzzy that look makes you feel.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GrillnZ
There is a great misconception about run flats. I had 2 flats on my horrendous GYs and neither time did I drive home. There was no way I was going to risk driving 20 miles and removing a quarter panel with flailing tread. I keep a $9 air compressor and a plug kit. Both flats were on the rear and both times I was back on the road in 5 minutes. Let all of the air out of one of your tires and reply back how warm and fuzzy that look makes you feel.
Thanks for that Grillin. I have wondered how these things really work out in practice. I think everyone assumes they are nearly the same as a properly inflated tire.

Personally, I just put on a new set of Michelin PSS, and renewed my AAA membership. The PSS are a significant improvement over the GY RFTs. I won't go back.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

USAA is good enough for me...........
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

ok so invos it is.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
no.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone ever worry about flats when switching to regular tires?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GrillnZ
Had a flat on Thanksgiving eve at a restaurant a year and a half ago. Had a flat (zero air pressure) leaving dinner. Needed to get my son to the airport. Just drove (carefully, under 50 mph) for 10 miles there and back to the house) - no problem what so ever. The tire had a big piece of angle iron imbedded in it. No plug was going to hold with the 2" gash through the treads (from tire).

Second experience with a flat run-flat; got into the car in the garage, started it, showed zero pressure in the left rear tire. I backed the car out, and took a look. I could not tell the tire was flat. I got out my tire gage to check - yep zero tire pressure. Drove to the local Discount tire and got a replacement.

Both time my tires were pretty well worn, so I didn't have them plugged. I do run NT-05s for HPDE days along with trips to and from the track. I carry plugs and a good compressor. BUT, run-flat technology is great, its a great safety feature (fixing or changing a tire on a busy freeway is very dangerous), and really works. Any flat that will take a plug or goop and hold pressure would be NO problem for a run-flat. Neither time did I have any adverse handling (of course I was taking it easy). You really need the TPMS or you would not know the pressure was low.

I've used $9 air compressors - never again. I found a great one from Griot's Garage. Really works. I use it (and several friends do too) at the track when we make pressure adjustments. It cost around $60, but well worth it.

Jim

Last edited by Carnac; 05-03-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
vvlf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Thats a pretty big except considering the price difference between the two. And if you're going through sets of tires 2 or 3 times a year, then it REALLY adds up
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM
vvlf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac
Had a flat on Thanksgiving eve at a restaurant a year and a half ago. Had a flat (zero air pressure) leaving dinner. Needed to get my son to the airport. Just drove (carefully, under 50 mph) for 10 miles there and back to the house) - no problem what so ever. The tire had a big piece of angle iron imbedded in it. No plug was going to hold with the 2" gash through the treads (from tire).

Second experience with a flat run-flat; got into the car in the garage, started it, showed zero pressure in the left rear tire. I backed the car out, and took a look. I could not tell the tire was flat. I got out my tire gage to check - yep zero tire pressure. Drove to the local Discount tire and got a replacement.

Both time my tires were pretty well worn, so I didn't have them plugged. I do run NT-05s for HPDE days along with trips to and from the track. I carry plugs and a good compressor. BUT, run-flat technology is great, its a great safety feature (fixing or changing a tire on a busy freeway is very dangerous), and really works. Any flat that will take a plug or goop and hold pressure would be NO problem for a run-flat. Neither time did I have any adverse handling (of course I was taking it easy). You really need the TPMS or you would not know the pressure was low.

I've used $9 air compressors - never again. I found a great one from Griot's Garage. Really works. I use it (and several friends do too) at the track when we make pressure adjustments. It cost around $60, but well worth it.

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] anyone ever worry about flats when switching to regular tires?