Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] On or Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Default On or Off

So 7 months ago as TBSS owner, we watched videos of corvette owners going sideways; hitting 300c's, each other, light trees at the strip, curbs, elephants in the zoo and so forth. Something didnt seem right, so I posted "wtf went wrong". The driver mod was first to blame, but after selling my SS and getting a Z and coming over here, I realized through many nights of the search function, that isnt always the case (except for the elephants).

We have watched videos of the infamous ZR1 crashing into the dbag who screamed wtf and what ive "searched" as the experienced drag racer with the TC off, nailing the guard that protects the light tree at the strip. In my deep thoughts of searching, and drinking mass quanities of Johhnie Walker Black Label, im come to the conclusion that I dont know how to drive my 09 Z06 properly. The fix? Spring Mountain? Sure, why not? Well, my family is eating pork and beans out of a can, by candlelight of course, so I can afford a Z06 (kidding). So im wondering: I want to get giddy at a street light and NOT hit the street light, TC off right? Not the competitive mode or all the other poop that I will never use. Im not a track racer, just a weekend driver that DOES NOT WANT TO BE ON YOUTUBE WITH MY VET WRAPPED AROUND A TELEPHONE POLE.

Cliffs: I have a Z06; its fast, the fastest car and manual car ive ever owned, I dont want to wreck it and call state farm; how can I "drive" it and not wreck it.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

just click the T/C button once will let u spin the tires but not get sideways from my understanding
Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
just click the T/C button once will let u spin the tires but not get sideways from my understanding
thanks brother; you were a good forum member before, and still the same............
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

If you are serious, we can help you. Ranger is the best for dragging your Z, do a search of his posts for how to properly launch your Z.

But when you start out with "deep thoughts of searching, and drinking mass quanities of Johhnie Walker Black Label" and "my family is eating pork and beans out of a can , by candlelight of course, so I can afford a Z06 (kidding)", it kinda sounds like a troll.

If you are not a troll, I apologize. But Dude, you kinda asked for it. We get a lot of trolls here.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats competitive mode, once turns "T/C off" which turns everything off, hit it twice and your in competitive mode which keeps stability control on but turns off traction control. In all reality though unless your trying to get to sideways or plan to be sideways the traction control in the "on" position isnt all that intrusive, at least it isnt with a good set of tires.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Turn everything off by holding down the TC button for 6-7 seconds. I'm a firm believer in all the accidents you mentioned in your original post were due to TC/AH. With the system completely off you won't get the snap oversteer that the Z06 is notorious for.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

tc off its that simple and no more surprises.Oh and a set of good rear tires doesnt hurt either ,Those good year runcraps are exactly that :Crap!Now send a kiss to your fellow cf member and make up.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I have deleted posts and edited posts for hostile commentary and personal attacks. That isn't tolerated here. No formal warnings given - but keep it up and vacation time will be given.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm not following here....??? What happened?

Is there another post somewhere I'm missing out on???
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tim414
I'm not following here....??? What happened?

Is there another post somewhere I'm missing out on???
several posts were deleted because my OP somehow inspired someone to post something irrelevant and I stood up for myself............
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Maligator
several posts were deleted because my OP somehow inspired someone to post something irrelevant and I stood up for myself............
That's actually not exactly what happened. You felt attacked (you weren't) and went off on a defensive tirade against your perceived attacker(s).

Attacking the message is OK. Attacking the messenger: not so much.

Capiche?

jas
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Thats competitive mode, once turns "T/C off" which turns everything off, hit it twice and your in competitive mode which keeps stability control on but turns off traction control. In all reality though unless your trying to get to sideways or plan to be sideways the traction control in the "on" position isnt all that intrusive, at least it isnt with a good set of tires.
thats on a C5 its that way. C6 is push once it just turns off T/C and leaves AH on
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
That's actually not exactly what happened. You felt attacked (you weren't) and went off on a defensive tirade against your perceived attacker(s).

Attacking the message is OK. Attacking the messenger: not so much.

Capiche?

jas
You've got a way with words jas...

Anyway, this thread isn't making a whole lot of sense to me so I'm just going to go away quietly...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

All he asked was basically what mode can he put the car in to still have fun but not let the car get to out of control. Atleast thats how I read it
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Most of these accidents could have been avoided if the drivers had gotten off the gas when the tires started breaking loose. I've seen this too many times at the strip when a driver tries to save a run when traction is lost by keeping his foot on the go pedal too long. The result is often fiberglass meeting concrete.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
F1restart3r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All he asked was basically what mode can he put the car in to still have fun but not let the car get to out of control. Atleast thats how I read it
That's how I read it.

As mentioned op, if you hit the T/C once you can spin, but that's it. And when someone said the car will snap back, he literally meant snap. I was testing it one day and took a left at a light with a little extra petrol. The car started yawing and instantly "snapped" to correction. It was hard.

I've also gone into comp mode and nearly ditched the car by accident. By yawing hard to the right. Admittedly I should have let off, but sometimes ridiculousness gets the best of me.

Even with gumball tires you can still lose. Just remember to let out on the petrol if gets away from you. Also don't play in traffic.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

AFAIK, the traction control button is the same in both C6 Z06 and base C6s. Here's what someone else posted that I saved.

Traction Control

There are 4 separate modes:

1. Traction Control - On .... Active Handling - On (Engages when the car is started)
This is the default mode.
This is recommended for normal driving.

2. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - On (Engage with 1 push of the button)
Turning off TCS allows the rear wheels to spin, but allows the Active Handling to fully assist in skid control.
This is recommended for drag racing.

3. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - Reduced (Engage with 2 pushes of the button)
This is the Competitive Driving Mode which allows the rear wheels to spin, while reducing some of the input that Active Handling has to assist in skid control.
This is recommended for road racing.

4. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - Off (Engage by holding button for at least 5 sec.)
This may be used when the driver does not want any on-board sensor input that may effect power reduction or brake application.
No rear wheel spin or vehicle skid corrections are automatically applied.

Note: The Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is always on and is unaffected by the various Traction Control or Active Handling selections that may be made above.

Get notified of new replies

To On or Off

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Well I missed the Monday bliss.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Well I missed the Monday bliss.
I'm glad I did. But, back to the OP's question, I would leave all the nannies on until he gets used to the car.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry I missed the...

Quick Reply: [Z06] On or Off