Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What a waste of time

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What a waste of time

Last night was opening night at i car dragstrip here in montreal,so a friend of mine and i decide to go there to pull a couple of runs.I drive down in my 07 z06 and he meets up with me there with his supercharged ls2 07 rag top.Now imagine this:The timing lights worked for all bigger cars but corvettes motorcycles and ferraris dont trigger the sensors properly all due to a bad adjustment. I dont understand what the size or height of the cars has to do with it but thats what happened.Then they ask me if i want to pull a run with the owner of the tracks Ferrari f 430.Of course ,i immediately say yes to the delight of all those in attendance.We line up i pull my best run of the night and this guy stalls the car on the starting line.Anyway what a disaster of an evening.Next time, its at our regular track, Napierville and on drag radials.Stay tuned as we chase some low e.t. and, high mile per hour time slips with both cars.I must add that the Ferrari got booed and i got applause after i pulled my solo run.Lol.That felt really nice.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

It always amazes me how many people have never been down the 1/4 mile........even worst when you think you have an 'it' car and don't know how to drag it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never been on the 1/4 mile here... I don't think I have an interest in it. Road course all the way for me!

I bet you would have liked to have the Ferrari go down with you, your win would have probably felt more satisfying!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
It always amazes me how many people have never been down the 1/4 mile........even worst when you think you have an 'it' car and don't know how to drag it.

I haven't been down a 1/4 mile run since I was a teenager. I have less than o% interest in doing it in my Z, now going flat out for like 5+ miles and hitting 200+ MPH that's where its at. That's what separates the men from the boy's.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
I haven't been down a 1/4 mile run since I was a teenager. I have less than o% interest in doing it in my Z, now going flat out for like 5+ miles and hitting 200+ MPH that's where its at. That's what separates the men from the boy's.
This response is just my statement of fact, NOT a flame....
I have run 9 straight runs at the Texas mile within one (1) mph. For a Corvette there is plenty of stopping room. In MY opinion, it is BORING.....IF your car is properly set up and runs straight without any high speed stability issues. A Ford GT ran 254, and other supercharged cars ran well over 200. Now IF you are required too have (and USE) a parachute, it might be more exciting, and CERTAINLY for the bikes (254 without a chute). But for me, personally, I get to "drag race" from the exit of each corner, and top speed at the end of each straight, for many laps in a row, and NOTHING is more exciting than a lap one turn one entry, four abreast

Last edited by 63Corvette; 04-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
The Dibble
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
You have it completely backwards. Anybody can take a car flat out with enough room. Drag racing takes skill and practice, ask the guy in the Ferrari.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

The Dibble has got it right and Pokerpro stick to poker because any fool can stomp on the gaz shift and hold on for a top speed run.Try doing quarter mile runs with the objective being to improve every time you do another run.That mister takes skill!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

You haven't felt the true performance value of a Z06 until you have hit some corners. Its all about the road course ladies and gentleman. It is a true test of driver and vehicle performance.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Yawlak80-86
Racer

I Like All Three!!!!

Just imagine driving them in succession.

Start w/ a 1/4 mile run, continue with 3 laps on a course, and end in a 2 mile top speed run. All without stopping! That would be an adrenaline rush!!!!

Kinda like an automotive triathlon.

Last edited by Yawlak80-86; 04-21-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

I like all three as well but for that person to diminish the skills required to perform well on a quarter mile strip is ridiculous.By far the easiest of the three to perform is flooring it until you reach top speed.Anyway enough debating on this subject lets all be friends and have fun.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 AM
No4Play
Racer

Originally Posted by Yawlak80-86
I Like All Three!!!!

Just imaging driving them in succession.

Start w/ a 1/4 mile run, continue with 3 laps on a course, and end in a 2 mile top speed run. All without stopping! That would be an adrenaline rush!!!!

THIS!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM
DallasZ06*
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatcop?
You haven't felt the true performance value of a Z06 until you have hit some corners. Its all about the road course ladies and gentleman. It is a true test of driver and vehicle performance.
If I want to go fast in a straight line I'll sit bare *** on a big block with slicks for 1/3 the price
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Yawlak80-86
I Like All Three!!!!

Just imagine driving them in succession.

I've driven Sebring HPDE all day (burned an entire tank of gas on the track, 8 mpg) then drove to Moroso for the Corvette Challenge drag race when went to see one of the HPDE Vette buddies' band play after the drag strip. That was a great way to spend about 18 hours!

I like to make videos of my fun too.

Frankly, I miss the time slips of the road course - on the drag strip, with my HP Tuners scans and the time slips, I can see exactly how well I and the car is doing. Road course is great and if I had the fancy track mate I think I would really love it. Mile run is fun but after a couple of flat out runs it's just beating on the equipment.

Perfecting the launch on the drag strip with a manual Corvette is quite a challenge...not so easy.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

To be the best you have to beat the BEST, no matter what the sport!

And, no matter how fast you are or how far ahead of the competition you are there are always those out to beat you!

Jim
Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Props for the guys who can drag a Z well.. I don't and don't care to. Drag racing is boring as hell (just my opinion), and trashes the car. The Z wasn't designed to drag, it's a road car that is fast but can also stop and turn.... Drag cars don't stop or turn well. It's you car though do what you want to with it and enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I prefer seeing which car is truly faster not just launch the best thats where the drag race is won and lost. Thats why I prefer rolls tho, I respect all the other forms of racing tho they all take a certain skill and being one with the car

Get notified of new replies

To What a waste of time

Quick Reply: [Z06] What a waste of time