Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Traction Control Off/Competitive Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Traction Control Off/Competitive Mode

Can someone please explain the difference between the two, and more importantly is there any performance advantage in being in one than the other?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Hit the botton once....you have control of the rear wheels and the computer does everything it can to keep you between the ditches. I would use this if you drag race.
Hit it twice (comp mode)....you have control of the rear wheels and the computer does NOT do as much to control the car. This is what you would use if you road raced or autocrossed.

Larry
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lebvette
Hit the botton once....you have control of the rear wheels and the computer does everything it can to keep you between the ditches. I would use this if you drag race.
Hit it twice (comp mode)....you have control of the rear wheels and the computer does NOT do as much to control the car. This is what you would use if you road raced or autocrossed.

Larry
My understanding as well, but it's strange that the traction light comes on when you take the traction cntl off, but the light goes off in competitive mode. You'd think the light would stay on for both settings if the traction cntl really is fully shut off.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Larry

Basically the traction control off (one push on the C6 Z06) allows the rear tires to spin with you in control via the throttle, however the stability control system will intervene just like normal.

Two pushes and you are in Competitive mode, with traction control off and the stability control system in a relaxed mode of intervention i.e. it will let the car move around a lot more before it intervenes. For a novice road racer or for a drag racer, the normal stability control system should be OK.

For an experienced road racer, I find the Competitive mode is fine as I react to what the car is doing well before the relaxed nannies intervene. Some experienced road racers have said that when the nannies intervene they have had big problems because there response to what was going on conflicted with what the nannies wanted to do. For those that are concerned about this they push and hold the button down 5 seconds and shut all the nannies off (normal ABS still works). The all off mode can also be used if you want to do donuts or burnouts (I don't).
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Larry
I would only add that Comp Mode still invokes a form of stability control but it is much less aggressive....it will still apply brakes if you get TOO far out of wack or push extremely hard in the G department.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The traction light comes on in comp mode for me, i was using it last weekend at the track
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info and feedback, thank you guys. Keep the information rolling...
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
KLRBEE2
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also under the impression that when you have all the nannies on, it retards time and has less throtle response...??
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by KLRBEE2
I was also under the impression that when you have all the nannies on, it retards time and has less throtle response...??
Never heard of that one, but I'll say from my experience that is false.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

From what I have read and experienced, the computer only intervenes if you are spinning the tires or sliding - intervention could include reduced timing, lower throttle and brake application. Otherwise, it just sits back and watches.

However, the TC/AH is fairly aggressive in "all on" mode so it can catch wheel spin/sliding that the driver can't feel/hear. This may give the illusion that it is just blindly stepping in.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dale1990
From what I have read and experienced, the computer only intervenes if you are spinning the tires or sliding - intervention could include reduced timing, lower throttle and brake application. Otherwise, it just sits back and watches.

However, the TC/AH is fairly aggressive in "all on" mode so it can catch wheel spin/sliding that the driver can't feel/hear. This may give the illusion that it is just blindly stepping in.
A skilled driver can feel what is going on before the car intervenes and deal with it before the nannies kick in, but a less "sensitive" butt may not pick it up in time. The reason for going to Comp mode is that a skilled driver will be driving outside the normal nannies envelope and be in full control. My experience indicates in the Comp mode that the nannies will not be so restrictive as to adversely impact fast laps.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by morris
The traction light comes on in comp mode for me, i was using it last weekend at the track
On my '06 it does NOT come on. Maybe they changed it by '09.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
On my '06 it does NOT come on. Maybe they changed it by '09.
Agreed. My 08 is the same way.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

it does modulate the throttle to keep car in control. there is a whole lot going on when this system is in action. depending on what level its engaged determins how evasive it is.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by erikszr1
it does modulate the throttle to keep car in control. there is a whole lot going on when this system is in action. depending on what level its engaged determins how evasive it is.
If the "system" detects an out of control condition, it killls the "go" pedal, in normal mode. In the other modes, you get more leeway, to the point it lets you spin the car out if you're in the most aggressive mode.
This usually only matters on exit, and too much pedal breaks the rear tires loose, the car slides, nannies kick in, and it doesn't matter how much you mash the gas, the car goes nowhere, as the input from the gas pedal does nothing. My experience is that this lasts for at least a second, or until the rear end hooks up. It kills your time, whether on the track or autocrossing.
If you're driving for time, push the button twice, and let the chips fall where they may
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47

Basically the traction control off (one push on the C6 Z06) allows the rear tires to spin with you in control via the throttle, however the stability control system will intervene just like normal.

Two pushes and you are in Competitive mode, with traction control off and the stability control system in a relaxed mode of intervention i.e. it will let the car move around a lot more before it intervenes. For a novice road racer or for a drag racer, the normal stability control system should be OK.

For an experienced road racer, I find the Competitive mode is fine as I react to what the car is doing well before the relaxed nannies intervene. Some experienced road racers have said that when the nannies intervene they have had big problems because there response to what was going on conflicted with what the nannies wanted to do. For those that are concerned about this they push and hold the button down 5 seconds and shut all the nannies off (normal ABS still works). The all off mode can also be used if you want to do donuts or burnouts (I don't).
I agree with all this. But do you need to hold it down for 5 seconds to turn it off? I know I did on the C5, but is it the same as the C6?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
SVT F15O
Pro

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
I agree with all this. But do you need to hold it down for 5 seconds to turn it off? I know I did on the C5, but is it the same as the C6?
To kill everything completely you need to hold it down.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control Off/Competitive Mode

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
Yes, hold it down for about 5 seconds on the C6. The other modes are different as I think one push on the C5Z puts it in Comp mode and on the C6Z it's 2 pushes (one for traction off only).
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 AM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

When I roadrace ours, I have to turn everything off. At the ragged edge, with either TC on or Comp mode on, it keeps applying the brakes and just cooking them. My best times and least drama occur with everything off. I'm running Hoosiers and Stoptech brakes with coilovers. Maybe I'm outside of the computer parameters.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jamsvet
When I roadrace ours, I have to turn everything off. At the ragged edge, with either TC on or Comp mode on, it keeps applying the brakes and just cooking them. My best times and least drama occur with everything off. I'm running Hoosiers and Stoptech brakes with coilovers. Maybe I'm outside of the computer parameters.

For me it's worth 2 full seconds on x cross to turn it all off.
It's probably the safest way to see if you need it.
Tight twisties on a canyon will have the back brakes on ALLOT.
Something about having the rear brakes applied, (by someone else) while I'm on the throttle, doesn't sit well with me.

If you crash, you say I was driving but that culprit applying the brakes at inopportune times will be taking NO responsibility.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Traction Control Off/Competitive Mode