Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Warrantied Engine Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrantied Engine Replacement Question

Has anyone that had their STOCK engine replaced under warranty ever had any problems with having warranty cover the replacement? I just read the thread about the guy who'd bought a used Z06 and had to have the engine replaced and when the engine computer was read by the GM engineers, it found that the car had been tuned at some point. I'm not too worried because my car was GM certified pre-owned when I purchased it and it's never been modded or tuned. I just don't want any surprises. Your thoughts...?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TrooperDLA
Has anyone that had their STOCK engine replaced under warranty ever had any problems with having warranty cover the replacement? I just read the thread about the guy who'd bought a used Z06 and had to have the engine replaced and when the engine computer was read by the GM engineers, it found that the car had been tuned at some point. I'm not too worried because my car was GM certified pre-owned when I purchased it and it's never been modded or tuned. I just don't want any surprises. Your thoughts...?
I had mine modded and it was replaced under warranty. A stock engine with no mods to anything would most certainly be replaced under warranty. Also if its still under GM warranty and not a 3rd party it has to be a brand new crate motor.

Also make sure they refill your transmission fluid after they replace the radiator. Don't ask me how I know that they didn't on my car.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I had mine modded and it was replaced under warranty. A stock engine with no mods to anything would most certainly be replaced under warranty. Also if its still under GM warranty and not a 3rd party it has to be a brand new crate motor.

Also make sure they refill your transmission fluid after they replace the radiator. Don't ask me how I know that they didn't on my car.
What mods did you have on yours? How long did it take to replace the engine and does the new engine show any signs of trouble? And, I'll definitely make sure they refill the transmission fluid.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

What mods did you have on yours? How long did it take to replace the engine and does the new engine show any signs of trouble? And, I'll definitely make sure they refill the transmission fluid.
I had a cam, intake, exhaust, and tune. It took them about 2 weeks before it was all said and done. The new engine actually felt better than the old engine, but I only kept the car for about a month before trading it in for a ZR1.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a few mods on mine: tune, CAI, LT's. Oil was getting into the coolant and it was thought it was doing that since the car was new. All hoses were coated in oil and had two water pumps leak because the oil in the coolant would swell the O-ring and it would leak. I had to follow GM's process to insure it wasn't anything else. After everything was exhausted GM decided to swap out the engine. Had no problems.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

I had a cam, intake, exhaust, and tune. It took them about 2 weeks before it was all said and done. The new engine actually felt better than the old engine, but I only kept the car for about a month before trading it in for a ZR1.
That's good to hear. Too bad the ZR1 is too expensive. Hell, mine is too expensive. LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I had a few mods on mine: tune, CAI, LT's. Oil was getting into the coolant and it was thought it was doing that since the car was new. All hoses were coated in oil and had two water pumps leak because the oil in the coolant would swell the O-ring and it would leak. I had to follow GM's process to insure it wasn't anything else. After everything was exhausted GM decided to swap out the engine. Had no problems.

So I wonder why there's a disparity in some guys getting their engine replaced under warranty that was modded and tuned and some not? I'm glad they got replaced, but it seems strange that there's no consistency.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

That's good to hear. Too bad the ZR1 is too expensive. Hell, mine is too expensive. LOL
I agree and I am not amused with the stock power vs my cammed Z06.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

I agree and I am not amused with the stock power vs my cammed Z06.
Really? I figured you could really tell a difference between the two, even with a cammed LS7. Why don't you go back to a Z06 and cam it?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Really? I figured you could really tell a difference between the two, even with a cammed LS7. Why don't you go back to a Z06 and cam it?
I didn't feel like dumping all the money required into the LS7 to make it reliable. Nor deal with aero, suspension, or brake upgrades. Even though its a big difference in prices I will get a return on the ZR1 when I sell it. With mods on a Z06 I will get 10 cents on the dollar when I sell it with mods.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

That makes perfect sense. What would you have done to make it reliable?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

That makes perfect sense. What would you have done to make it reliable?
Everyone has their own opinion. For me it was valve guides, exhaust valves, dry sump tank, and oil pump. Wasn't going to be cheap
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Everyone has their own opinion. For me it was valve guides, exhaust valves, dry sump tank, and oil pump. Wasn't going to be cheap
I can see that. I hate that my confidence in the LS7 is shaken, but truth be told, it is. I'll give the new engine a good long shot, but I'll monitor it very closely.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

So I wonder why there's a disparity in some guys getting their engine replaced under warranty that was modded and tuned and some not? I'm glad they got replaced, but it seems strange that there's no consistency.
I think its all up to the dealership.

Clif
Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
I think its all up to the dealership.

Clif
if gm wants to see calibration numbers listed from your car, the dealer takes a photo of the tech 2 screen that has those numbers and your vin# and sends it to the tech/warranty dept. if its stock and never been messed with then your ok. and yes they will know even though you might have reflashed back to stock.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

be careful I bought a certified GM car and it turned out it was tuned. I took it to the dealership to flash the original tune back in and they couldnt do it because who ever tuned the car had a locked tune in it (but they told me they did!!)

I didnt use the warranty but I am just telling you to go check the tune on your car.. I am afraid if it fails at some point and they pull the tune of your car and notice it was tuned they will say that you did it..... again this didnt happen to me but my car was tuned when I bought it from the dealership and they had no idea!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Well, I sure hope no surprises come up because I was assured when I bought the car that it was indeed stock and hadn't been modded or tuned and I've done nothing to it except take exceptional care of it. I pray to God that they warranty my car or I don't know what I'll do. Thanks for the input guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Warrantied Engine Replacement Question

Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you get that in writing?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:00 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

No. I wish now that I had gotten it. All I have is paperwork saying it was certified ore owned when I bought it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
be careful I bought a certified GM car and it turned out it was tuned. I took it to the dealership to flash the original tune back in and they couldnt do it because who ever tuned the car had a locked tune in it (but they told me they did!!)

I didnt use the warranty but I am just telling you to go check the tune on your car.. I am afraid if it fails at some point and they pull the tune of your car and notice it was tuned they will say that you did it..... again this didnt happen to me but my car was tuned when I bought it from the dealership and they had no idea!!!
Well, I sure hope no surprises come up because I was assured when I bought the car that it was indeed stock and hadn't been modded or tuned and I've done nothing to it except take exceptional care of it. I pray to God that they warranty my car or I don't know what I'll do. Thanks for the input guys.

The computer records the date it was flashed. If you go to have your car worked on and it was flashed before your purchase date and then was validated by the dealer as being certified when you bought it then I am sure it wouldn't be hard to get them to cover the car under warranty. May take a lawyer and some nasty phone calls or letters but you can get it done.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Warrantied Engine Replacement Question