Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Warrantied Engine Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
The computer records the date it was flashed. If you go to have your car worked on and it was flashed before your purchase date and then was validated by the dealer as being certified when you bought it then I am sure it wouldn't be hard to get them to cover the car under warranty. May take a lawyer and some nasty phone calls or letters but you can get it done.
Well I guess we'll see tomorrow when the engine gets torn down and the info is sent to GM. I'm still confident that everything will be alright, it's just the not knowing and waiting that's killing me. I looked up GM's certified pre-owned inspection process and according to it, everything will be fine.#6 of the investigative vehicle history block asks, "Is this vehicle free of any aftermarket modifications like body/chassis lift kits, engine performance chips?" So with my vehicle passing that inspection, I have to assume that they answered "yes" to #6 and that I'll be covered.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM
jagvet
Intermediate

Troubling issue. How in Hell would a person buying a used Corvette possibly know that the car had been 'tuned' in the past?

If it is determined that the car had been tuned, should it be avoided, just on that basis? Perhaps there is far more involved in 'tuning' than I realize, but why would tuning void a warranty?

Last edited by jagvet; 04-01-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

I definitely agree with you. It's one of those things where you just have to hope that the powers that be side in favor of the guy that bought a previously tuned car unknowingly, especially if they've left it stock.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jagvet
Troubling issue. How in Hell would a person buying a used Corvette possibly know that the car had been 'tuned' in the past? If it is determined that the car had been tuned, should it be avoided, just on that basis? Perhaps there is far more involved in 'tuning' than I realize, but why would tuning void a warranty?
when you tune your ca you increase the power and also some tuners take it over the "safe" limit. Tuning might cause engine failure (running lean) usually the factory have the car a little rich and lower the timing a little too to make sure the car last longer and the chance it will fail is less. yes you lose some power by doing that, but for them they would rather that since they are giving you 100k miles warranty on it!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
when you tune your ca you increase the power and also some tuners take it over the "safe" limit. Tuning might cause engine failure (running lean) usually the factory have the car a little rich and lower the timing a little too to make sure the car last longer and the chance it will fail is less. yes you lose some power by doing that, but for them they would rather that since they are giving you 100k miles warranty on it!
That makes sense. And that's exactly why I haven't modded or tuned this car because I'm keeping it for the long haul andwould rather have longetivity out of it than forty extra hp (not knocking tunes/mods at all). It's plenty powerful and fast for me stock.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 797 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by TrooperDLA
That makes sense. And that's exactly why I haven't modded or tuned this car because I'm keeping it for the long haul andwould rather have longetivity out of it than forty extra hp (not knocking tunes/mods at all). It's plenty powerful and fast for me stock.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Was the dealer able to assist you with your concern? Feel free to contact or Evan for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (filling in for Evan).
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Was the dealer able to assist you with your concern? Feel free to contact or Evan for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (filling in for Evan).
Yes, I am just waiting for the GM engineers to give the go ahead on the warranty claim. That's how I understand it from the rep at the dealer. Hope I hear something today.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,975 Likes on 5,356 Posts

Originally Posted by walhan_qtr
The other thing about a tune is it bumps the peak HP by some value but the rpm area where you spend the most time doesn't see the same jump in HP so the actual benefit of a tune is somewhat small.

Bill
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

The dealer called and they said that GM was able to see that it had been custom tuned at some point. GM says that if the engine tear down reveals a cracked piston, they will not honor the warranty. So now I have to wait to see what the engine year down reveals. I'm not happy about this.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

The dealer called and they said that GM was able to see that it had been custom tuned at some point. GM says that if the engine tear down reveals a cracked piston, they will not honor the warranty. So now I have to wait to see what the engine year down reveals. I'm not happy about this.
Ask what the flash date was. If it was prior to your purchase and the car was certified by GM its time to lawyer up.

Let me clarify and say you aren't going to be chasing down GM with your lawyer, but the dealer that did the certification.

Last edited by whatcop?; 04-03-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Quiky One
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Ask what the flash date was. If it was prior to your purchase and the car was certified by GM its time to lawyer up.

Let me clarify and say you aren't going to be chasing down GM with your lawyer, but the dealer that did the certification.
x2 unfortunately....Dealer will be out the money, not GM though.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

I asked that and apparently there wasn't a stock tune in it so they don't have a date. He said they can't get a date at this point.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Bummer, hope it works out for you.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Bummer, hope it works out for you.
Thanks. Me too.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I asked that and apparently there wasn't a stock tune in it so they don't have a date. He said they can't get a date at this point.
They should be able to see the date the tune was applied then. I wouldn't take the car from the dealer until this is resolved.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

They should be able to see the date the tune was applied then. I wouldn't take the car from the dealer until this is resolved.
Good advice. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Warrantied Engine Replacement Question

Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

this is exactly what I was afraid of. which I mentioned earlier. I bought a certified GM car too and it turned out to be tuned. I knew that because I went to tune my car and it turned out the previous owner tuned the car and locked the tune in it!!

I went to the dealership and told them that I keep getting a CEL (lien or rich cant remember) and they found out later that the car was tuned and they told me "they put it back to stock!" I checked the next day and they LIED coz the tune was locked in the car and they couldnt flash the stock tune back. I knew that because I tried to tune the car again and it still had the previous locked tune in it. Paid $250 for nothing

I really hope this will work out for you. I know that they can find out if the car was tuned at some point previously but I had no idea that you can see the actual date. that will help you in your case. GL and keep us updated

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 04-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

We can't blame GM for possibly denying the warranty since the engine was tuned

If one of GM's authorized dealers certified this car with a tuned motor in it then I feel they are partially responsible. Hopefully GM will put pressure on that dealership and get you taken care of properly.

Best of luck. And I am going to predict a good outcome for you

Go GM !!!

DH
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Something I remembered: a year ago I had the skip shift tuned out and the fans made so they run a little longer after the car shuts off. Could that nullify a warranty? Otherwise my car has never had the computer altered in any way. Does that count as a "tune"???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Warrantied Engine Replacement Question