Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] No lift shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

What I remember Rick saying about it, was that "Launch Control" remained active as long as your foot stayed planted. In other words, as long as you kept it floored through each upshift, LC would chop the spark to keep traction and the tires from going up in smoke just as it did on the launch.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
What I remember Rick saying about it, was that "Launch Control" remained active as long as your foot stayed planted. In other words, as long as you kept it floored through each upshift, LC would chop the spark to keep traction and the tires from going up in smoke just as it did on the launch.
You misunderstood. I was a little unclear myself so I called him and talked to him on the phone and he told that you shouldn't keep your foot plants between shifts only during launch.

Tim
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

I didn't misunderstand, it's what he said then.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

What he never said anything about is no lift shifting as a feature to keep the revs bouncing off the rev limiter. He was talking about not lifting between shifts to keep LC on, two different things.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Is my video above not clear? It seems to be going near redline, but you don't hear the braaaapppp of the rev limiter on each of my gas pedal floored upshifts. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Is my video above not clear? It seems to be going near redline, but you don't hear the braaaapppp of the rev limiter on each of my gas pedal floored upshifts. I could be wrong though.
I understand what you're saying and what you have experienced. The way the ptm works may be a factor with the no lift shifting but it is something the engineers did not include in the program according to Rick from SM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Quick, I haven't looked at that video since all I have right now to watch it is a droid. So if you can't tell from it or remember, I doubt that I can either.

But I know what Rick said because there were only nine of us in the class, and I was the only one who had tried LC. He asked me what I thought of it, which I thought it worked pretty well in a casual sense, but I mentioned that others said they were quicker without it. I didn't use it on the track nor power shift with it. After I gave my opinion about it, he went on to describe the methodology of using it, which was to hold the pedal to the floorboard throughout the shifts.

Perhaps Rick is now conveying new information from the engineers, or his opinion is changed about the efficacy of it, but I don't think I misunderstood what he was saying then. He is an awesome great guy, and we shared common interest with our passion for dirt riding, ktm motorcycles and health issues that nearly killed us both before rejuvenating us to live life passionately. I love him, always carry that unspoken bond.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Quick, I haven't looked at that video since all I have right now to watch it is a droid. So if you can't tell from it or remember, I doubt that I can either.

But I know what Rick said because there were only nine of us in the class, and I was the only one who had tried LC. He asked me what I thought of it, which I thought it worked pretty well in a casual sense, but I mentioned that others said they were quicker without it. I didn't use it on the track nor power shift with it. After I gave my opinion about it, he went on to describe the methodology of using it, which was to hold the pedal to the floorboard throughout the shifts.

Perhaps Rick is now conveying new information from the engineers, or his opinion is changed about the efficacy of it, but I don't think I misunderstood what he was saying then. He is an awesome great guy, and we shared common interest with our passion for dirt riding, ktm motorcycles and health issues that nearly killed us both before rejuvenating us to live life passionately. I love him, always carry that unspoken bond.
The only thing I know is what I have experienced first hand 3 times that I've tried the launch control AND no-lift shifting. The transmission, clutch, etc. does with zero complaint and the car feels AWESOME. It almost seems to like launch control and powershifting. I had zero issue engaging the next gear and besides the computer power modulation in 1st gear, it seems to haul butt through the next few gears. My video at the top of the 2nd page attests to that fact.

I also found interesting one of the recent car magazine articles about the a ZL1 mule being tested with 600 (SIX HUNDRED) clutch dump launches at the drag strip as part of it's durability testing. If the ZL1 clutch and transmission can handle that kind of abuse, then the similar (identical?) TR6060 in the ZR1 and it's superior clutch can easily handle it as well.

That said, I don't plan on doing launch control/no-lift shifting every time I drive the car, but it's fun every now and then when you have a new passenger in the car, safe conditions, and an itch to scratch.

Okay, here is my first attempt at launch control. Out of habit, I lifted on the 1-2 shift, but DIDN'T lift on the 2-3 shift. It seems to bounce into the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift because I lifted on the 1-2 shift possibly negating no-lift shifting????

Note: (ignore my stupid commentary at the end of the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5x1647WsM

The below video is the same video I posted at the top of page 2. It doesn't seem to "hit" the rev limiter in the same way as the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFTSRt3EBVo
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Quik, in the 2nd clip I think that could be LC with the normal rev limiter, (which is soft anyway), mixed with the stretched out brap,brap of LC reducing tire spin on the full power upshifts, but sounding different than it would out of the dig because it's happening at 100+ mph.

I can't be sure though. In fact I'm just guessing. It doesn't seem to be complaining I agree.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Maybe you should call Rick yourself . Don't sound like you are going to believe otherwise. Also, not sure about what you are saying about no lift shifting vs. power shifting. I do believe they are one in the same. Power shifting is no lift shifting ( going through the gears without lifting off the throttle and pressing the clutch while shifting).

Regards
Tim
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,453 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Guys I've done it. I've no lift shifted in LC mode several times. In fact, I no lift shifted in LC all the way to second place on the standing mile fast list above. That was shifting all the way into 4th, shifting very near redline, with none of the hesitation, drop off in performance you get from actually hitting the rev limiter. I did it several times. I agree it's probably not something you want to do all the time or even often as LC in my experience seemed a bit harsh on the driveline just generally.

I seriously doubt I'm a good enough driver to "power shift" all the way into 4th without hiccup. I did lift on shift from 4th to 5th, as that is a bit more deliberate shift movement and I didn't want to miss the gate and blow my runs.

May not be an "advertised" feature of how LC works on this car, but in LC mode it allows it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timvette7
Don't sound like you are going to believe otherwise.
Believe what?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
blaSSt
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Does this work for 2009's also, or is PTM & Launch Control required (a 2010+ addition)?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Believe what?
I don't know if you have read my earlier posts but it explains my conversation with Rick a couple of days ago and how he says that you should lift when you shift. He said that they have talked to the engineers and they state that you should lift when you shift in launch control mode. He did say that you can no lift shift but it is bad on the synchros and it is not in the program. Sounds like you heard something else so you might want to call him yourself if you want to hear straight from the horses mouth.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by blaSSt
Does this work for 2009's also, or is PTM & Launch Control required (a 2010+ addition)?
Not completely positive but I pretty sure it is only on 2010 models and newer with the PTM function.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

I don't know if you have read my earlier posts but it explains my conversation with Rick a couple of days ago and how he says that you should lift when you shift. He said that they have talked to the engineers and they state that you should lift when you shift in launch control mode. He did say that you can no lift shift but it is bad on the synchros and it is not in the program. Sounds like you heard something else so you might want to call him yourself if you want to hear straight from the horses mouth.
Yes I read them and I already got it from the horse's mouth, so what is it I'm not believing, that you were told something different?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Yes I read them and I already got it from the horse's mouth, so what is it I'm not believing, that you were told something different?
According to your prior post you said that you thought that the no lift shift function is apart of the launch control function which I stated that Rick said that it wasn't. I asked serveral questions about specifically over the phone so I would not misunderstand. If you want to keeping thinking that it is so be it. It doesn't matter to me. To each their own and no hard feelings. Other guys have obviously proved that it can be done I just wanted to pass on the info that I found in my phone interview with Rick.

Regards,
Tim

Get notified of new replies

To No lift shifting?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

How about someone data logs and goes out and does a run like I did with LC and no lift shifting? Let's see what the PCM is doing during the run.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
I believe the ZR1 has no lift shift mode in LC. . I did not try it on my car, but all GM publication supports the claim.
Hi Range96,

Do you have any links or someplace that can show this?
I've tried looking pretty hard to see if the ZR1 has the NLS but couldn't find anything, just launch control (2 seperate things). As stated earlier, the Cobalt has it as a documented function and my CTS-V has it as well (documented as well, plus I have used it in the car). I'll be going to Spring Mountain in a month & will ask the very specific question about this and hopefully can solve this. Right now I'm tending to believe that Timvette7 already got the answer from Spring Mountain that it is NOT programmed into the ZR1 computer like the CTS-V and Cobalt, per the GM engineers.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

According to your prior post you said that you thought that the no lift shift function is apart of the launch control function which I stated that Rick said that it wasn't.
Tim, no. What Rick said was that launch control stays active until you lift, and that you can hold the throttle open thru the shifts. That's what he said in August.

I asked serveral questions about specifically over the phone so I would not misunderstand. If you want to keeping thinking that it is so be it. It doesn't matter to me. To each their own and no hard feelings. Other guys have obviously proved that it can be done I just wanted to pass on the info that I found in my phone interview with Rick.
All I want is to be quoted accurately. I always believed you about what Rick told you.

Reciprocal

Last edited by Reciprocal; 03-14-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] No lift shifting?