Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] muffler removal instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default muffler removal instructions

Looking for muffler replacement DIY thread. I saw this one about the muffler mod that I believe used to show how to take the muffler off..however the link is no longer working. Anyone know of another one?

DIY-Muffler Mod-Improved Sound, Reduce Drone, Possible increase in Power
http://members.***.net/frank.patry/vette/z06muffmod.pdf
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
JP426
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...t-removal.html
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
davestractor
Instructor

I just did this a couple days ago. The thread in the post above mine is good. My car is a 2006 Z06 with stock exhaust. I put it on my lift and dropped the H-pipe. Then disconnected the vacuum hoses to the flaps. I then removed the sway bar. Then slid the rubber retainers off the pegs and the mufflers were free. The drivers side wiggled right out fine. The passenger side would not come out, or at least not easily and I didn't want to risk damaging anything. I did not want to mess up some wiring and other expensive looking stuff, so I took 2 minutes with my Makita and removed the heat shield, and then lowered the rear suspension cradle 1/2". It took maybe 10 minutes tops to remove the shield and lower the cradle a little. Then the passenger side came right out. About 1.5 hours from start to finish, but if I did it again I'd think a guy could do it in less than an hour once the car was in the air. Just be careful on both sides so that the free end of the over axle pipe doesn't tear something up as you wiggle it out.

I put stock "muffler mod" mufflers back on and I really like it. The drone is actually less, and the mild to wild still works. I got the "wife approval", even though that wasn't the initial goal, but she really noticed the difference in drone. The car is louder at idle and a little crisper sounding under acceleration. My car is cammed, so it sounds really nice at idle. And you get some burble under deceleration.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I did it a few months back, heat shield and cradle had to be moved and the pipe slid right out!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Thanks guys...this really helped. I was able to wiggle it free with some patience.

Get notified of new replies

To muffler removal instructions

Quick Reply: [Z06] muffler removal instructions