Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Can someone explain why the ZR1 is so heavy

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Lets weigh it then. We can account for the exhaust rather easily I think.

I'll PM you my number.
I'll give you a call tomorrow and if you are free Wednesday morning or later this week I am game to throw her on some scales.

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Don't forget the twin disc ZR1 clutch is heavier than the LS7 clutch as well.
I figured the flywheel is heavier also. Would explain for why it isn't as free revving.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

.... here are posted copied weights from GM.

2006 Z06 OEM.......... 3130 lbs -
2007 Z06 OEM.......... 3161 lbs +31lbs
2008 Z06 OEM.......... 3162 lbs +32lbs
2009 Z06 OEM.......... 3180 lbs +50lbs
2010 Z06 OEM.......... 3180 lbs +50lbs
2010 ZR1 OEM.......... 3350 lbs +220lbs
2011 Z06 OEM.......... 3175 lbs +45lbs
2011 Z06 OEM w/Z07. 3264 lbs +134 lbs
2011 ZR1 OEM.......... 3350 lbs +220lbs

Not sure what trim levels these are representing though.
Look at the 2011 Z06 and then 2011 Z06 with Z07 package. So, the Z07 package (considering all else equal) is 89 lbs. So, that is the wheels/tires, mag shocks, and CC brakes, right? CC brakes have to be at least break-even even with the heavier calipers as the CC discs are much lighter than iron equivalents, so it appears just at first glance, the mag shocks and wheels/tires add quite a bit of overall weight.

So, on the ZR1, factor that stuff in plus the supercharger goodies and a few beefier parts and bam, you're at 3,350lbs. That's still pretty damn light for a 638hp rocket that is still fairly comfy around town with heated seats, nav, HUD, power everything, dual zone HVAC, etc.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Look at the 2011 Z06 and then 2011 Z06 with Z07 package. So, the Z07 package (considering all else equal) is 89 lbs. So, that is the wheels/tires, mag shocks, and CC brakes, right? CC brakes have to be at least break-even even with the heavier calipers as the CC discs are much lighter than iron equivalents, so it appears just at first glance, the mag shocks and wheels/tires add quite a bit of overall weight.

So, on the ZR1, factor that stuff in plus the supercharger goodies and a few beefier parts and bam, you're at 3,350lbs. That's still pretty damn light for a 638hp rocket that is still fairly comfy around town with heated seats, nav, HUD, power everything, dual zone HVAC, etc.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I'll give you a call tomorrow and if you are free Wednesday morning or later this week I am game to throw her on some scales.
Working from home Wednesday so that'll work for me.

Be nice to have our own "official" weigh in. These scales are so accurate you can drop a ratchet in the drivers seat and watch the scales account for it. We'll be sure to snap a pic of the gas gauge to guesstimate the fuel in the tanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

.Not sure what trim levels these are representing though. [/COLOR]
I agree in general with those weights you posted above.

I researched GM specs as well (the 2008-1012 Ordering Guides; specs from the NCM site for earlier years), and I came up with #'s close but slightly different.

That just goes to show ya that even the GM #'s aren't the same!!!

Those are listed by GM as CURB WEIGHTS.

According to info in all C6 model year Vette Owner's Manuals:

Curb Weight:

The weight of a motor vehicle with
standard and optional equipment including the
maximum capacity of fuel, oil, and coolant, but
without passengers and cargo.
So....every car will have a different curb weight depending on optional equipment.

What trim level is on the cars used to come up with the curb weight specs in the GM documents, I dunno!?!?

And, I guess that's why they're different in different documents.

The 2013 Order Guide will be out March 5th, so we'll be able to see what the weight increase will be for that model year. However, the 2010-2012 Order Guides all show exactly the same weights.

The 2012 GS Convertible is listed with a curb weight of 3289 lbs.

The 2013 Anniversary Edition 427 Convertible has a prelimary estimate of 3355 lbs.

So....you throw in an LS7 with dry sump, put on the bigger ZR1 brakes/wheels, MSRC, and a few other things, and you gain 66 lbs.

Peter, you probably weigh 50 lbs less than I do - we're not too different in height, but you're a slim/trim physique, and I'm my stocky 225 lb body.

Personally, I'm not worried about a few pounds here or there - as long as it's got a nice even fore/aft distribution. The best weight reduction I could do to my car is to drop about 10 pounds myself and get back down to my Airborne Ranger weight of 40 years ago!!

If I were chasing podium positions and points for championships, I'd be worried about the weight of the car. If you're doing W2W racing and need to get better sponsorships, move to a better team, get into a better series, make mo' money - then I'd be doing everything I could to reduce weight. Butt....then you run into problems keeping the car in line with the specs of the class you're running in.

For a street car that I take to the track 6 or 8 times a year, I'm only in competition with myself, and the best way to tell how my driving is improving is to run the same car, same weight, same tires, same mods, etc., on the same track in roughly the same conditions week-to-week, or in the case of VIR once every year at the NCM HPDE!!!

If you want to turn your car into a track only race car, then make weight reductions that will conform with the specs of the series and class you'll be running in.

If all you want is the lightest track day car you can achieve, start gutting the interior, get c/f doors, get the Katech c/f hatch lid with Lexan window (I think it's available now), also get their Lexan windshield, rip out the HVAC stuff, all the radio/nav/OnStar junk, get rid of that way overweight powered passenger seat, of course you'll have a lightweight driver's race seat.....and much more!! I don't know whether a sequential transmission will weigh more or less than the stocker.

By the time you mess with the BCM that badly, you'll probably have to got to an aftermarket ECM like a MoTeC, but again, you'll have to check with the specs for the class you'll be running in to see if the stock may be required.

Oh....and you will have to ADD some weight - put in a cage, cool suit system and thermos, fire suppression system, and a few other weight gainers.

Me, for a street car that I take to the track, a few pound reduction of weight by removing sound deadening insulation just isn't something that I need to do to try to improve my PB around a track!!!

BTW, I only track my 2006 Z06, and I have added weight to it. It is a GT road car that I take on long road trips as well as the track - I drive it to events, like 650 miles to VIR. I like to be comfortable in it - well, actually I need my pit crew to be comfortable in it while riding passenger to far distant events!!! So I put in a full 6-way power seat on the right, and I added adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support to both seats - I run the stock seats on the track. I also added about 6 pounds by swapping from the manual hatch latch to the auto-pull down latch.

I used to run Hoosiers, but like I said above - I'm only competing against myself, so as long as I run the same thing week-after-week, then I can tell how I'm improving.

I don't track my ZR1 - the Z06 is a GREAT car for me to work on my track driving. And....it's friggin' FASSSST in stock configuration. My wife was taking pictures from a bleachers in the infield at a Daytona HPDE last fall and she says a guy there kept remarking every time I came around how the car must have all kind of mods because it was going so fast - but no, it's stock. And at that event I was running on street tires - actually I had a set of ZR1 wheels and stock ZR1 PS2 ZP tires on it, and they are really good on the track!! I don't have a cage, so I don't need to go any faster than the 175-180 the car does now down the front straight at Daytona. No need to reduce weight!!!!

So.....my recommendation is that the ZR1 is so capable as it is, before you do anything to the car take it to the track stock and set down some base times. Work on driving skills to get faster with the car in the same configuration week-after-week. When you get where you aren't getting any improvement and feel a need for faster times for bragging rights, mod the car and start working on faster and faster times in your new configuration.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're making way too much sense here Bob, careful you don't offend all the computer racers!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I figured the flywheel is heavier also. Would explain for why it isn't as free revving.
I'm not so sure about that!

I had tunes on my '05 LS2 and my '06 Z06.

The best thing I liked about the tune was the much improved throttle response from tuning throttle tip-in.

On the ZR1 I'm not interested in possible warranty problems with a tune, but I REALLY DID NOT LIKE the throttle response!!!!

Mine is an '09, so I don't know if it's any better in later model years, but mine is very sluggish to respond to putting my foot down.

I got a Sprint Throttle Booster, and the response is now GREAT!!! I can select from Stock throttle response, Sport mode, or Race. I just use the Sport mode because the Race mode is too rapid! The only time I might change it is back to stock when the road is wet.

Peter, I see you're heading back to Atlanta, but next time you're down here in Daytona give me a holler and you can drive the car and see what you think.

BTW, good luck with your exams next month!!

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Working from home Wednesday so that'll work for me.

Be nice to have our own "official" weigh in. These scales are so accurate you can drop a ratchet in the drivers seat and watch the scales account for it. We'll be sure to snap a pic of the gas gauge to guesstimate the fuel in the tanks.
Sounds like a plan

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I agree in general with those weights you posted above.

I researched GM specs as well (the 2008-1012 Ordering Guides; specs from the NCM site for earlier years), and I came up with #'s close but slightly different.

That just goes to show ya that even the GM #'s aren't the same!!!

Those are listed by GM as CURB WEIGHTS.

According to info in all C6 model year Vette Owner's Manuals:

So....every car will have a different curb weight depending on optional equipment.

What trim level is on the cars used to come up with the curb weight specs in the GM documents, I dunno!?!?

And, I guess that's why they're different in different documents.

The 2013 Order Guide will be out March 5th, so we'll be able to see what the weight increase will be for that model year. However, the 2010-2012 Order Guides all show exactly the same weights.

The 2013 Anniversary Edition 427 Convertible has a prelimary estimate of 3355 lbs.

So....you throw in an LS7 with dry sump, put on the bigger ZR1 brakes/wheels, MSRC, and a few other things, and you gain 66 lbs.

Peter, you probably weigh 50 lbs less than I do - we're not too different in height, but you're a slim/trim physique, and I'm my stocky 225 lb body.

Personally, I'm not worried about a few pounds here or there - as long as it's got a nice even fore/aft distribution. The best weight reduction I could do to my car is to drop about 10 pounds myself and get back down to my Airborne Ranger weight of 40 years ago!!

If I were chasing podium positions and points for championships, I'd be worried about the weight of the car. If you're doing W2W racing and need to get better sponsorships, move to a better team, get into a better series, make mo' money - then I'd be doing everything I could to reduce weight. Butt....then you run into problems keeping the car in line with the specs of the class you're running in.

For a street car that I take to the track 6 or 8 times a year, I'm only in competition with myself, and the best way to tell how my driving is improving is to run the same car, same weight, same tires, same mods, etc., on the same track in roughly the same conditions week-to-week, or in the case of VIR once every year at the NCM HPDE!!!

If you want to turn your car into a track only race car, then make weight reductions that will conform with the specs of the series and class you'll be running in.

If all you want is the lightest track day car you can achieve, start gutting the interior, get c/f doors, get the Katech c/f hatch lid with Lexan window (I think it's available now), also get their Lexan windshield, rip out the HVAC stuff, all the radio/nav/OnStar junk, get rid of that way overweight powered passenger seat, of course you'll have a lightweight driver's race seat.....and much more!! I don't know whether a sequential transmission will weigh more or less than the stocker.

By the time you mess with the BCM that badly, you'll probably have to got to an aftermarket ECM like a MoTeC, but again, you'll have to check with the specs for the class you'll be running in to see if the stock may be required.

Oh....and you will have to ADD some weight - put in a cage, cool suit system and thermos, fire suppression system, and a few other weight gainers.

Me, for a street car that I take to the track, a few pound reduction of weight by removing sound deadening insulation just isn't something that I need to do to try to improve my PB around a track!!!

BTW, I only track my 2006 Z06, and I have added weight to it. It is a GT road car that I take on long road trips as well as the track - I drive it to events, like 650 miles to VIR. I like to be comfortable in it - well, actually I need my pit crew to be comfortable in it while riding passenger to far distant events!!! So I put in a full 6-way power seat on the right, and I added adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support to both seats - I run the stock seats on the track. I also added about 6 pounds by swapping from the manual hatch latch to the auto-pull down latch.

I used to run Hoosiers, but like I said above - I'm only competing against myself, so as long as I run the same thing week-after-week, then I can tell how I'm improving.

I don't track my ZR1 - the Z06 is a GREAT car for me to work on my track driving. And....it's friggin' FASSSST in stock configuration. My wife was taking pictures from a bleachers in the infield at a Daytona HPDE last fall and she says a guy there kept remarking every time I came around how the car must have all kind of mods because it was going so fast - but no, it's stock. And at that event I was running on street tires - actually I had a set of ZR1 wheels and stock ZR1 PS2 ZP tires on it, and they are really good on the track!! I don't have a cage, so I don't need to go any faster than the 175-180 the car does now down the front straight at Daytona. No need to reduce weight!!!!

So.....my recommendation is that the ZR1 is so capable as it is, before you do anything to the car take it to the track stock and set down some base times. Work on driving skills to get faster with the car in the same configuration week-after-week. When you get where you aren't getting any improvement and feel a need for faster times for bragging rights, mod the car and start working on faster and faster times in your new configuration.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob
I've been home for a few days so you know how moms are. She has been shoving food my way non-stop so I dunno about that whole slim physic anymore

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
You're making way too much sense here Bob, careful you don't offend all the computer racers!
My computer is faster than yours

I'm not so sure about that!

I had tunes on my '05 LS2 and my '06 Z06.

The best thing I liked about the tune was the much improved throttle response from tuning throttle tip-in.

On the ZR1 I'm not interested in possible warranty problems with a tune, but I REALLY DID NOT LIKE the throttle response!!!!

Mine is an '09, so I don't know if it's any better in later model years, but mine is very sluggish to respond to putting my foot down.

I got a Sprint Throttle Booster, and the response is now GREAT!!! I can select from Stock throttle response, Sport mode, or Race. I just use the Sport mode because the Race mode is too rapid! The only time I might change it is back to stock when the road is wet.

Peter, I see you're heading back to Atlanta, but next time you're down here in Daytona give me a holler and you can drive the car and see what you think.

BTW, good luck with your exams next month!!

Bob

Maybe thats all it is. It just doesn't feel as peppy and lively as my Z06. Whats funny is I said that from day 1 as I was pulling away from the dealer. Car just feels like a dog compared to my Z06. Thanks and I'll be back at the end of march for a few weeks. Also to top everything off I think I have a bad wheel bearing on the drivers side. I heard it when I got back and assumed it was due to the car sitting for so long. But even after driving the car for the past couple of days it just did it again tonight.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Fizzex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As was said prior to my previous post (#37)...

Originally Posted by Cypher
Also, keep in mind that shipping weight does not include a full tank of fuel, which will add ~120#.
That is correct.

The definition of 'curb weight' includes a full tank of fuel. However, one again, GM doesn't use 'curb weight' for marketing purposes. That being the weight given in most publications, advertisements and brochures, etc. Instead, the weight listed is indeed the 'shipping weight' and is based on the amount of fuel put in the tank immediately after the vehicle comes off the assembly line at Bowling Green and is approximately 6 gallons. It's my understanding they sometimes state the amount they put in during the plant tour. And it's the same measured amount in each car.

Porsche on the other hand gives the weight of their cars with no fuel in the tank.

Gasoline varies according to specific gravity, but the API standard for premium unleaded is 6.350 lbs/U.S. gal. And according to GM, the ZR1 fuel capacity is 18 U.S. gals. Hence, with a full tank, the fuel weight alone is 114.3 lbs. But with only 6 gals of fuel, or 1/3 of a tank, the fuel weight is 38.1 lbs. A difference of 76.2 lbs. compared to a full tank.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Soooooo lets just say the diff is internal parts so that won't really add much weight. By axles I am assuming you are referring to the halfshafts. If thats the case I am tempted to say they can't be much beefier than the ones of the C5Z.

Realistically its just the blower, intercooler, heat exchanger. They shouldn't be adding that much weight to offset the lightweight parts.
The diff is a differant design they had a writeup in a corvette mag with pitchers with how to id all the difs.
z51vett
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z51vett
The diff is a differant design they had a writeup in a corvette mag with pitchers with how to id all the difs.
z51vett
I recently saw some side-by-side pics of a Z diff next to a ZR1 diff. Noticeable difference in casting and bracing between the two.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

I recently saw some side-by-side pics of a Z diff next to a ZR1 diff. Noticeable difference in casting and bracing between the two.
Enough to look like it will cause a drastic weight difference?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Enough to look like it will cause a drastic weight difference?
I don't consider 158 lbs a drastic difference, and a more realistic 67 lbs when compared to a CE Z06 is even less drastic.

The info I found in the Order Guides say the curb weight of the 2010-2012 ZR1 is 3333 lbs, and the Z06 is 3175 lbs. That's 158 lb difference - not drastic in my mind for the S/C, intercooler, intercooler cooling system, and some other beefed up items like maybe the diff.

It's even less when you compare it to the CE Z06. LEAVINU in his previous post says the 2011 Z06 w/Z07 is 3264 lbs. Except for the S/C, I don't think the LS7 is essentially any different weight from the LS9 - they're both based on the same block.

So....by the time you add the MSRC, CC brakes, larger wheels/tires, aero stuff onto a Z06, the ZR1 is only 67 lbs heavier than the CE Z06.

I don't think that's drastic at all, and the additional weight is easily accounted for by the S/C and its components.

Just watch the video in that other thread of Jim Mero driving a stock ZR1 on VIR - totally stock, but apparently has the PDE option with the OE MPSC tires. He lays down a time better than any other production car - faster than a Mosler, 3 seconds faster than the ACR Viper, MUCH faster than a Shelby GT500!!!

Peter, I think you're overly concerned about the weight of the ZR1. Just drive the heck out of it and enjoy the fantastic performance it has!!

I hope you're considering coming to the NCM VIR event June 25-26. You'll see how capable your ZR1 is in the stock configuration.

Bob

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

I don't consider 158 lbs a drastic difference, and a more realistic 67 lbs when compared to a CE Z06 is even less drastic.

The info I found in the Order Guides say the curb weight of the 2010-2012 ZR1 is 3333 lbs, and the Z06 is 3175 lbs. That's 158 lb difference - not drastic in my mind for the S/C, intercooler, intercooler cooling system, and some other beefed up items like maybe the diff.

It's even less when you compare it to the CE Z06. LEAVINU in his previous post says the 2011 Z06 w/Z07 is 3264 lbs. Except for the S/C, I don't think the LS7 is essentially any different weight from the LS9 - they're both based on the same block.

So....by the time you add the MSRC, CC brakes, larger wheels/tires, aero stuff onto a Z06, the ZR1 is only 67 lbs heavier than the CE Z06.

I don't think that's drastic at all, and the additional weight is easily accounted for by the S/C and its components.

Just watch the video in that other thread of Jim Mero driving a stock ZR1 on VIR - totally stock, but apparently has the PDE option with the OE MPSC tires. He lays down a time better than any other production car - faster than a Mosler, 3 seconds faster than the ACR Viper, MUCH faster than a Shelby GT500!!!

Peter, I think you're overly concerned about the weight of the ZR1. Just drive the heck out of it and enjoy the fantastic performance it has!!

I hope you're considering coming to the NCM VIR event June 25-26. You'll see how capable your ZR1 is in the stock configuration.

Bob

Lol Bob not for long....Its already got my aftermarket exhaust on it and either a pulley and tune or headers and a tune are headed its way. I also stopped by CCW the other day to test fit some wheels.

The reason I call it drastic is because the 158lb difference is being offset by all the light weight components. I dunno what it is about the ZR1 but so far it isn't amusing me like the Z06 did. I know I know sacrilegious
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

....The reason I call it drastic is because the 158lb difference is being offset by all the light weight components. I dunno what it is about the ZR1 but so far it isn't amusing me like the Z06 did. I know I know sacrilegious
No - not sacreligious at all!! I love to see cars and motorcycles modified to customize them to the owner's interests so they don't have just another cookie cutter copy.

Like I said, it's really more like 67 lbs if you compare the ZR1 to the Carbon Edition Z06.

I don't think the car was designed to be a track ready race car out of the box. I consider the ZR1 to be a world class GT road car - fantastic performance, but also comfortable on a long road trip, or around town as a daily driver.

I think you said you're taking the ZR1 to Atlanta - is that right? Why not the 458???

Probably because the 458 is not a car you can park just anywhere. However, I hop in the ZR1 and park the car at Applebee's or the parking lot at Kohls or Publix (well - out in the empty part of the lot!). I just wouldn't drive a 458 out to dinner or shopping as much as I do in the ZR1.

Ricky, who organizes the Orlando Cars and Cafe we go to in Sanford, in addition to his Carrera GT had one of the last ACR Vipers made. He got it in about June last year, but sold it and got a ZR1 in about October!!

The ACR just wasn't a car he could easily drive around town, and it wasn't comfortable or easy to get in/out of.

I know what you mean about the ZR1 not amusing you as much as the Z06. My ZR1 seems to be much more refined than my 2006 Z06 - at least until I stomp my right foot down!!! You're using such a low percentage of the car's performance capability when street driving that it may seem kind of tame, but I think that's the beauty of the car - it's a comfortable street car, and when you take it to the track it's capable of performance such that there are very few of us non-pro drivers that can take it to anywhere near 100% of its capability.

I had a buddy visiting for the Rolex 24. He drove my Z06 around town while my wife and I drove the ZR1. Then I let him drive the ZR1 down to Sanford for the Cars and Cafe last month. He was surprised at the very different personalities of the car.

My Z06 is a little firmer ride, and it has an MGW shifter - it feels a lot tighter and much more like it wants to be rode hard.

When my buddy drove the ZR1 right after the Z06 he remarked that except for being a little more comfy ride and a little more sloppy shifting there didn't seem to be much difference. We were on a back road heading to I-4 and I told him to slow down to about 30, put it in 2nd, and stomp on it. After spinning the tires in 2nd and 3rd he backed off and all he had to say was "Holy Sheet!!!!!!!" Of course you can that same response when driving a Z06!

When the C6 first came out, guys coming over from the C5 commonly were complaining that their C6 just didn't seem as fast as the C5. But after some subjective comparisons it became very clear to them that the C6 was doing much more than the C5 - it was just doing it much more easily and in a much more smooth and refined manner so that it did much more with less effort.

I think that's what you're experiencing with the ZR1 - it does so much while still being so smooth and comfortable, and you're using such a small percentage of its full capabilities, it just doesn't seem "exciting".

Maybe that would be a good reason to NOT mod the car. If you get it putting out even more power, when driving around on the street (or even the track) you'll be using even less of the car's full potential and be even more disappointed!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-29-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 427 convertible has a steel frame.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by YWZ08

I think the 427 convertible has a steel frame.
Yes - that's correct. Both the GS and the 427 Vert have steel frames.

I don't know what the difference in weight between the LS3 and the LS7 is - but they're the same block so there shouldn't be too much difference in weight between the 2 engines.

So....the main difference between the GS Vert and the Anniversary Edition 427 Vert would probably be the extra stuff on the 427 Vert: larger carbon ceramic brakes, the larger wheels and tires (although maybe not much difference at all), the carbon fiber aero stuff (again, probably not much weight there), and the MSRC dampers and other components of the system (probably not considered in the curb weight of a GS).

Lots of little changes from model year to model year add a little weight here and a little weight there, and you get a heavier car over the years.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone explain why the ZR1 is so heavy

Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YWZ08
My GF has a 2010 GS Vert so I'll confirm that weight this wkd.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

No - not sacreligious at all!! I love to see cars and motorcycles modified to customize them to the owner's interests so they don't have just another cookie cutter copy.

Like I said, it's really more like 67 lbs if you compare the ZR1 to the Carbon Edition Z06.

I don't think the car was designed to be a track ready race car out of the box. I consider the ZR1 to be a world class GT road car - fantastic performance, but also comfortable on a long road trip, or around town as a daily driver.

I think you said you're taking the ZR1 to Atlanta - is that right? Why not the 458???

Probably because the 458 is not a car you can park just anywhere. However, I hop in the ZR1 and park the car at Applebee's or the parking lot at Kohls or Publix (well - out in the empty part of the lot!). I just wouldn't drive a 458 out to dinner or shopping as much as I do in the ZR1.

Ricky, who organizes the Orlando Cars and Cafe we go to in Sanford, in addition to his Carrera GT had one of the last ACR Vipers made. He got it in about June last year, but sold it and got a ZR1 in about October!!

The ACR just wasn't a car he could easily drive around town, and it wasn't comfortable or easy to get in/out of.

I know what you mean about the ZR1 not amusing you as much as the Z06. My ZR1 seems to be much more refined than my 2006 Z06 - at least until I stomp my right foot down!!! You're using such a low percentage of the car's performance capability when street driving that it may seem kind of tame, but I think that's the beauty of the car - it's a comfortable street car, and when you take it to the track it's capable of performance such that there are very few of us non-pro drivers that can take it to anywhere near 100% of its capability.

I had a buddy visiting for the Rolex 24. He drove my Z06 around town while my wife and I drove the ZR1. Then I let him drive the ZR1 down to Sanford for the Cars and Cafe last month. He was surprised at the very different personalities of the car.

My Z06 is a little firmer ride, and it has an MGW shifter - it feels a lot tighter and much more like it wants to be rode hard.

When my buddy drove the ZR1 right after the Z06 he remarked that except for being a little more comfy ride and a little more sloppy shifting there didn't seem to be much difference. We were on a back road heading to I-4 and I told him to slow down to about 30, put it in 2nd, and stomp on it. After spinning the tires in 2nd and 3rd he backed off and all he had to say was "Holy Sheet!!!!!!!" Of course you can that same response when driving a Z06!

When the C6 first came out, guys coming over from the C5 commonly were complaining that their C6 just didn't seem as fast as the C5. But after some subjective comparisons it became very clear to them that the C6 was doing much more than the C5 - it was just doing it much more easily and in a much more smooth and refined manner so that it did much more with less effort.

I think that's what you're experiencing with the ZR1 - it does so much while still being so smooth and comfortable, and you're using such a small percentage of its full capabilities, it just doesn't seem "exciting".

Maybe that would be a good reason to NOT mod the car. If you get it putting out even more power, when driving around on the street (or even the track) you'll be using even less of the car's full potential and be even more disappointed!!

Bob

I agree the car is deceptive because it's so smooth and quiet. Funny thing is Leavinu said the same thing this morning. I need more violence out of my car lol. Oooooh the 458 was sent on a trailer yesterday to Ferrari for service. I'm sure it wont be cheap.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2007 Z06 OEM.......... 3161 lbs +31lbs
2008 Z06 OEM.......... 3162 lbs +32lbs
2009 Z06 OEM.......... 3180 lbs +50lbs
2010 Z06 OEM.......... 3180 lbs +50lbs
2010 ZR1 OEM.......... 3350 lbs +220lbs
2011 Z06 OEM.......... 3175 lbs +45lbs
2011 Z06 OEM w/Z07. 3264 lbs +134 lbs
2011 ZR1 OEM.......... 3350 lbs +220lbs

Not sure what trim levels these are representing though.
The MSO Shipping Wgts on ours was:
2007 Z06 3109
2010 ZR1 3278

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Can someone explain why the ZR1 is so heavy