Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Mod suggestions for my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
JChastain
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mod suggestions for my Z06

I just purchased an 08 Z06 that has 14k miles and is bone stock except for the mild to wild switch. I have never had a Z06 before nor even a corvette and I have noticed how expensive exhaust is for the car. Im not interested in doing heads or a cam in the car. I would like feedback on which exhaust components/cold air intakes did you guys see the most rear wheel horsepower gains from. I'm just trying to justify dollar to seat of the pants ratio. I was thinking longtubes and a highflow x pipe and maybe keeping the factory catback, but if theres not enough power gains for the money I wont do it. What do you guys think? Also Im buying tires this week. The factory ones suck imo so im looking at the new Michelin Pilots sports. Im looking for traction cause it has none right now. Thanks alot guys for your input.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JChastain
I just purchased an 08 Z06 that has 14k miles and is bone stock except for the mild to wild switch. I have never had a Z06 before nor even a corvette and I have noticed how expensive exhaust is for the car. Im not interested in doing heads or a cam in the car. I would like feedback on which exhaust components/cold air intakes did you guys see the most rear wheel horsepower gains from. I'm just trying to justify dollar to seat of the pants ratio. I was thinking longtubes and a highflow x pipe and maybe keeping the factory catback, but if theres not enough power gains for the money I wont do it. What do you guys think? Also Im buying tires this week. The factory ones suck imo so im looking at the new Michelin Pilots sports. Im looking for traction cause it has none right now. Thanks alot guys for your input.

As far as CAI's are concerned the most air being drawn into the intake will be a from callaway system. Should be around $500.00 give or take.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd hold off on headers or intake unless your going to tune the car. If you are going to tune the car get the Halltech MF103, American Racing Headers 1 7/8th or Kooks 1 7/8th Headers, and a good Dyno/Street Tune. It will pick up atleast 40whp

As for tires I'd go Nitto NT05 Street tires 285/35/18 Up front and 345/30/19 Nitto NT05R Drag Radials out back They hook very well and drive just fine, or if you want a street tire with less traction go with the Nitto NT05 Street tire 335/30/19 on the rears
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM
JChastain
Drifting

My local dealership said to stay with the factory size tires or it would mess with abs codes. Also is the mid pipe not nescessary?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

The tires Drew mentioned will work just fine without codes, I have the NT05 285/335 combo.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM
JChastain
Drifting

What about 345's ?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

I have no codes from my 285/345 setup
and yes you do need the X-pipe, I'd get it with High Flow cats because IMO the car sounds better with them and smells better
Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a halltech air intake and a dyno tune from a reputable tuner, it will make a substantial change
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
Do a halltech air intake and a dyno tune from a reputable tuner, it will make a substantial change
I have that setup (kind of) it really wakes up the car and pretty cheap to do, just more fun to drive when you pair it with good tires
Old 02-13-2012, 04:53 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I bought the same thing only 2 years ago. A 2008 with 14k 2lz with only a mild to wild. I had plans since I removed all my mods from a 2008
base car that i bought new and sold.
I would save your money and simply do a Supercharger kit.
That way you get the big power and can remove it. Just save all your stuff you remove. I drove mine till it hit 20k and added the kit.
I have an A&A kit with a sl1500 paxton head unit.
It takes the car to a whole new level. I turned 600 rwhp and 580 rwtq
at less than 6000 RPM. The engine was fully heat soaked (timing pulled)at 230 degrees (long story) but everything is right with 12 degrees of timing. So It should be doing 650/620 or more when cool.
I find it is less hard on the car because your using less RPM's
because of power surplus.
It's really the best mod to do!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 AM
vvlf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
go with the Nitto NT05 Street tire
+1

My local dealership said to stay with the factory size tires or it would mess with abs codes. Also is the mid pipe not nescessary?
Your local GM "stealer-ship" is just trying to steer you away from another brand of tires that they either don't sell, or don't make enough $$ off of.

Go with the Nitto NT05's, you wont regret it <- and your car won't throw any codes - ask me how I know
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 AM
JChastain
Drifting

U recommend the drag radial on the rear?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Did you post on SVTP a few days ago? I thought the same thing about exhausts when I first got mine. A few months later I had to have something louder. I can send you a soundclip if you wanna hear why that beast could sound like. I only did an axleback, no headers. It sounds a hell of a lot better. Paid $825.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
JChastain
Drifting

I did post on svtp. I came out of a cobra. Man what difference!! Please send the clip. What catback is it? I've been looking just have no idea what to do. I like a higher pitch sound. Which company offers that?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

All the exhaust stuff is fine, but you mention cost to hp, and it's high. Best bang for the buck....is a simple street tune.

Larry
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

U recommend the drag radial on the rear?
If you want all out traction and to dead hook 1st gear than yes I would get them, it won't be as good in the corners of course but still handles fine and is very stable up top in the NT05R's (Drag Radials). I daily drive my Z06 on them have been in the rain/wet roads with them a couple times with no issues. It's the only tire I'll ever put on my Z06 again but I only care about straight line and don't want to bother with peddling it I want to dead hook when I do pulls
I did post on svtp. I came out of a cobra. Man what difference!! Please send the clip. What catback is it? I've been looking just have no idea what to do. I like a higher pitch sound. Which company offers that?
Corsa IMO is the best sounding catback with no drone but you definitely pay for that tho lol $1500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHYEAIMlos
Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
As far as CAI's are concerned the most air being drawn into the intake will be a from callaway system. Should be around $500.00 give or take.
Stick to poker lol.
As said earlier...I wouldnt even mod the car until you decide to tune it. Sooo find.a.good.tuner then do CAI (Halltech), headers back exhaust, and.a.tune. Like most everyone else your car should respond well (depending on your tuner).and make good usable power.
And of course a nice.set of sticky tires out back will help put the power down.

Get notified of new replies

To Mod suggestions for my Z06

Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by triblk6spd
Stick to poker lol.
As said earlier...I wouldnt even mod the car until you decide to tune it. Sooo find.a.good.tuner then do CAI (Halltech), headers back exhaust, and.a.tune. Like most everyone else your car should respond well (depending on your tuner).and make good usable power.
And of course a nice.set of sticky tires out back will help put the power down.
actually sometimes a tune alone on a c6 z makes a substantial change,some come in very rich from the factory, and just cleaning up the A/F alone picks up much of the power .... headers on a stock z06 honestly is not a huge power adder, the stock manifolds a very good...
Old 02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
actually sometimes a tune alone on a c6 z makes a substantial change,some come in very rich from the factory, and just cleaning up the A/F alone picks up much of the power .... headers on a stock z06 honestly is not a huge power adder, the stock manifolds a very good...
If you were only going to add one to an intake/tune Z which would it be a Ported Stock Intake/TB, Headers, or Fast 102?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
If you were only going to add one to an intake/tune Z which would it be a Ported Stock Intake/TB, Headers, or Fast 102?
I would go ported intake/tb. The Fast is nice, but at a steep price, and you have a good exhaust.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Mod suggestions for my Z06