Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Michelin Pilot SS on stock rims: 345/30R19 and 285/35R18 OR 325/30R19 and 275/35R18??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

P.S. Guys, really want to make it clear that everything I did in post 75 was with the tires fully warmed (20+ minutes of driving). Last thing I want is for someone to think that they can get these and pull out onto the highway at full blast in 20 deg. weather with cold tires. Probably not a good idea, for more reasons than one.

I'm turning into the PSS post *****.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KillrZ
Thanks for the review boost2na! Getting mine installed next Friday and I can't wait! When Michelin started producing them I read about the PSS's and immediately looked for our size but I was dissapointed to see they didn't have them. I emailed Michelin (I think back in Sept or Oct) and they responded and said "they had no plans to produce them in our size." Dejected, I decided to get the PS2's in the spring. I started preparing/surfing prices the first week of February - when, BAM the PSS's turned up on Tire Rack! I would have been PISSED if I had ordered the PS2's and the PSS's came out shortly thereafter. Mine are delivered and I can't wait for Friday! Keep writing of your experience!
PS - If you buy a set from Tire Rack before the end-of-day tomorrow (Feb 26) you get a $70 rebate.
really???

order placed, i pulled the trigger on the stock size setup,thanks to the review from you guys!! Hope i made the good decision??

Last edited by timmyZ06; 02-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,525 Likes on 2,606 Posts

You won't be disappointed. TR called me and said my $70 rebate card would be sent to me shortly. With 15 miles on them (stock 18/19 sizes) I pulled 1.08 G's in a corner the NT-05's pulled 0.98
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boost2na
P.S. Guys, really want to make it clear that everything I did in post 75 was with the tires fully warmed (20+ minutes of driving). Last thing I want is for someone to think that they can get these and pull out onto the highway at full blast in 20 deg. weather with cold tires. Probably not a good idea, for more reasons than one.

I'm turning into the PSS post *****.
Post ***** away - you just made my day.

My PSS 345/30/19 & 285/35/18's will be here tomorrow along with my $70 rebate card. Thanks Luke@tirerack!!

I was wondering what the straight line hook would be like and your report is very good news indeed. I hate stabbing the throttle with the stock GY's and have the back come out all the time.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Victory07

My PSS 345/30/19 & 285/35/18's will be here tomorrow along with my $70 rebate card. Thanks Luke@tirerack!!

I was wondering what the straight line hook would be like and your report is very good news indeed. I hate stabbing the throttle with the stock GY's and have the back come out all the time.
Please DO post a review, as everyone that has posted so far are with the factory OEM 325/275 sizes. I am VERY interested to hear if you have any rubbing issues or check engine lights by going with the 345/285 combo.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
Please DO post a review, as everyone that has posted so far are with the factory OEM 325/275 sizes. I am VERY interested to hear if you have any rubbing issues or check engine lights by going with the 345/285 combo.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
KillrZ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What to do the day before you get your new Pilot Super Sports mounted....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqnmYGROhX4
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have a going away party. Are you going with the stock sizes or the 345/285 combo?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Victory07
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice vid.

What part of Ohio are you in? I'm down in Cincy. **edit** i see you are in cincy as well.

I will definitely post about fitment issues and give a nice grip review once I test 'em out. I'm getting them mounted on Saturday.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
boost2na
Racer

Originally Posted by Victory07

More updates for you guys:

Now I've driven these bad boys (stock sizes) in 50, 60, and 70 deg. weather. In short, it just keeps getting better. One new item, I have gotten on it with the tires NOT fully warmed up and I'm happy to say that they still stick pretty damn well in comparison to GYs.

A strange observation, it's gotten to a point where I think I can say these tires transform the whole car. I never realized how many little things were programmed into my mind until now. I have all of these safeguards in my head so I back out at even a hint of instability (hop, oversteer, bad reaction to throttle input during maneuvers). Hard to explain but basically the triggers just aren't there any more. So you do something fully expecting to have to correct or back out and the car just sticks. And you've got a permanent grin on your face trying to figure out how in the hell you just did that.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
KillrZ
Racer

Going stock sizes Translator.

I'm in Cincy as well Victory - Wyoming.

Thanks for the updates Boost - I know exactly what you mean about the Hop and Bad Reactions with the Goodyears. You write in descriptive terms and I appreciate your reviews of the PSS's. Tomorrow I'll try to break mine in gently. Well maybe...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

More updates for you guys:

Hard to explain but basically the triggers just aren't there any more. So you do something fully expecting to have to correct or back out and the car just sticks.
Not your traditional street tire at all..........night and day in autocross/track events when you do side by side comparisons with Continentals, Pirellis

To put in perspective the difference in the on track tire behavior;
I did start my hand position at 9am and 3pm.
As I pushed the limits of both tires/cars hard, in the competitor-equipped car, my hand positions to maintain max speed on course in many different type corners were in the 3:30pm-8:30pm compared to a consistent 12pm-6pm for the PSS's.

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 03-02-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 PM
boost2na
Racer

But wait, there's more!

Nature threw me a curve ball, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Weather men said it was going to be sunny and dry all day, I left the office in this:

51 deg. F and not exactly light rain.

I am shocked, I was speechless. When I say you can drive in the rain, you can DRIVE in the rain with these tires. The PSS in moderate rain was about as good as stock GYs in completely dry, 70 deg. weather.

I kid you not, I put my foot down in 2nd at 35 MPH, in 3rd at 65 MPH, and the car dead hooked and launched like a missile.
ZERO hydroplaning, very quick maneuvers with NO understeer, and stopped on a dime.

This isn't a corvette anymore. I don't know what this is! I'm not going to name names, but all of these robotic awd competitors that thought we were dead in conditions like this would have been toast.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I have to admit that I think the DRM Bilsteins played a role here. How much, not sure. But I do know that the few times I've gotten stuck in rain since I installed those the car has handled significantly better. I think it's just a simple relationship between jolts and upsetting the rear end. Less powerful jolts with lower duration = less energy transfer via the monospring and less lateral upset. Combine that with these tires and you sirs will have a monster on your hands.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Great to here you really got to test them in the wet. We've had maybe an inch of rain here in central AZ since October, so I don't get much of a chance to test it in those conditions.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks,

Based on all the recent threads, I ordered these and had installed today (stock size). I didn't receive the documentation on these, what is the recommended break-in? To clarify, I do HPDE events mainly, and I remember with some Firestone's I had on my base C6, they recommended a 500 mile break-in IIRC.

I will be trying to document and posting on these tires through the season. Thanks!

Steve
Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Z06Gates
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But wait, there's more!

Nature threw me a curve ball, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Weather men said it was going to be sunny and dry all day, I left the office in this:

51 deg. F and not exactly light rain.

I am shocked, I was speechless. When I say you can drive in the rain, you can DRIVE in the rain with these tires. The PSS in moderate rain was about as good as stock GYs in completely dry, 70 deg. weather.

I kid you not, I put my foot down in 2nd at 35 MPH, in 3rd at 65 MPH, and the car dead hooked and launched like a missile.
ZERO hydroplaning, very quick maneuvers with NO understeer, and stopped on a dime.

This isn't a corvette anymore. I don't know what this is! I'm not going to name names, but all of these robotic awd competitors that thought we were dead in conditions like this would have been toast.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I have to admit that I think the DRM Bilsteins played a role here. How much, not sure. But I do know that the few times I've gotten stuck in rain since I installed those the car has handled significantly better. I think it's just a simple relationship between jolts and upsetting the rear end. Less powerful jolts with lower duration = less energy transfer via the monospring and less lateral upset. Combine that with these tires and you sirs will have a monster on your hands.
I posted in another thread as well but wanted to thank you for your posts. I ordered the PSS tires thursday. Should have them by next week. Great posts.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
boost2na
Racer

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Great to here you really got to test them in the wet. We've had maybe an inch of rain here in central AZ since October, so I don't get much of a chance to test it in those conditions.
Dave, you guys have those incredible clay colored roads. I was in Phoenix a couple years back on business and was shocked at how clean and smooth the roads were.

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
I didn't receive the documentation on these, what is the recommended break-in?
Steve, you're probably going to get a lot of different answers. Looks like Allthrottleandsomebottle has tested them right after install and they worked perfectly. I can't remember exactly what Dave did; he can speak to that. I think tirerack recommends 500 miles plus their pre-delivery heat cycle procedure. I heat cycled mine on the highway, probably drove a total of ~80 miles for one cycle (round trip). Made it through 2.5 heat cycles, so 200 or so miles, then I couldn't resist the urge.

Originally Posted by Z06Gates
I posted in another thread as well but wanted to thank you for your posts. I ordered the PSS tires thursday. Should have them by next week. Great posts.
Thanks. I tried to get my wife to make you guys a video tonight (NO, not that kind, hahaha). We were sitting at a toll booth, no one in sight, and I told her to grab her phone so I could nail it in 1st up to 60 MPH for you guys, 51 degrees. No go, she wouldn't do it. But sure enough, the car stuck and it was glorious.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot SS on stock rims: 345/30R19 and 285/35R18 OR 325/30R19 and 275/35R18??

Old 03-04-2012, 12:40 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I think TR has a tire break-in procedure listed on their web site. So far, I've just driven the PSS (stock sizes) at normal driver pace for about 150 miles, with the exception of the two hard roundabouts after 15 miles where I pulled 1.07 and 1.08 G's, with moderate understear in the 2nd roundabout.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
KillrZ
Racer

Got mine installed last Friday (03/02) and had to go straight home, but had a chance to take it out Saturday for a little. So far they are fantastic! It's like a new Z but better than it was new. Smooth, quiet, excellent ride, and although I didn't really put them to the full test yet - a few high speed onzits and exits from the interstate proved they definately have a ton of grip. I am sooo glad Michelin made the PSS's in our size. They are going to be enjoyable!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
6667vette
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Pilot SS

I just put them on last week and got 27.9 mpg at 75 mph drives real smooth and quiet.

Don't forget to get a flat tire emergency kit with air compressor / Slim an extra bottle of fluid. I purchased mine at Auto Zone real cheap under $30.00.

Last edited by 6667vette; 03-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot SS on stock rims: 345/30R19 and 285/35R18 OR 325/30R19 and 275/35R18??