Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Not another blown engine thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john_g_46
Thanks for posting that link. Nothing quite like solid data.

...sorta makes the poll I just started a waste of time.
I answered your poll so that I could be the "1" with 10.5 and a failure
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

in case anyone cares...
I put on 250 miles today running the engine per my mechanics instructions, so nice to be back in the saddle again Tomorrow will be another 250 miles and I'll be past the 500 mile break in (my mechanic did the initial 100 mile break in, which included an oil change, before I got my vette back). Then time for an oil change!!! The next 500 miles will be more aggressive but still cautious, and then it'll be time for some WOT fun

Last edited by johnnywoz; 02-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnywoz
in case anyone cares...
I put on 250 miles today running the engine per my mechanics instructions, so nice to be back in the saddle again Tomorrow will be another 250 miles and I'll be past the 500 mile break in (my mechanic did the initial 100 mile break in, which included an oil change, before I got my vette back). Then time for an oil change!!! The next 500 miles will be more aggressive but still cautious, and then it'll be time for some WOT fun
I care

Hope your break in goes well and that it results in well seated rings and no oil consumption like mine

DH
Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

in case anyone cares...

Glad to see you're back on the road. Have fun and be safe.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

I answered your poll so that I could be the "1" with 10.5 and a failure
so we know based on Dreamin's data that your engine did not suffer from oil starvation. what are some other causes of bearing failure/fusing to crank?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nzk
so we know based on Dreamin's data that your engine did not suffer from oil starvation. what are some other causes of bearing failure/fusing to crank?
Not entirely true, I did have an oil starvation issue as that is why the engine seized; no oil lubricating the bearings, extremely high temps from two metal surfaces rubbing on each other (friction), equals failure. What I am trying to figure out is what lead up to not having oil lubricating my bearings.

Leading theories;

Jason @ Katech; insufficient oil pan, oil pump, oil scavenge pump, for extended high G turns

stuck open oil pump relief valve, resulting in low oil pressure

(my personal) blocked oil passage preventing oil from getting to the bearings.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 PM
vvlf
Pro

Not entirely true, I did have an oil starvation issue as that is why the engine seized; no oil lubricating the bearings, extremely high temps from two metal surfaces rubbing on each other (friction), equals failure. What I am trying to figure out is what lead up to not having oil lubricating my bearings.

Leading theories;

Jason @ Katech; insufficient oil pan, oil pump, oil scavenge pump, for extended high G turns

stuck open oil pump relief valve, resulting in low oil pressure

(my personal) blocked oil passage preventing oil from getting to the bearings.
As far as the insufficient oil pan <- wouldn't we be seeing more failures across the board if that were the case.

The oil pump, scavenge pump, & relief valve all seem possible.

But I also wouldn't doubt that an oil journal could have been plugged causing that particular main journal bearing to be starved at the crank resulting in the failure / seizure of your motor

Speaking of which, it was just one of the bearings right ? Or was there more ......
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vvlf
Speaking of which, it was just one of the bearings right ? Or was there more ......
The four inner bearings were the ones to go, the outer bearings were in perfect condition.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM
johnnywoz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have seen 2 years of HPDE with Hoosiers and coil-overs with easily sustained 1.5g+ using the stock 06 oiling system with no problems. Prior to this, I had a C5Z that has seen 5+ years of track duty with Hoosiers and no problems. Maybe I am lucky or maybe the stock systems aren't SO bad.

If the LS6's oiling system, with simply adding an extra quart can hold up to 5 years of HPDE (with a 610' cam non the less), I think ANY car with a DRY SUMP system is going to hold up significantly better. It seems like the 09 design is just GM continually improving the Corvette to the next level, not fix a massive failure. Whethere you know it or not, GM continues to make changes to the Corvette that don't make any press. Some people think GM under engineers these cars, but I think the contrary, that they are over-engineered. I have seen many foreign cars that need quite a bit more modifications with regard to oil and lubrication than Corvettes to even think about running R compounds at a race track. The Corvette is probably the most well prepared stock car for this duty.

So, while the new design is surely better, remember when the 06 dry sump system came out it was praised as a major leap and improvement over the C5.

I have no scientific data to back my opinions, but raw experience of tracking Corvette's on road courses for a decade.
Found this comment in another oil issue thread, very interesting...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Not another blown engine thread