Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] My long over do thread of my new ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 AM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My long over do thread of my new ZR1

Well this is long over do because I have a bad habit of modding my cars as soon as I get them or even order mods before I have the car so I wanted to have pics of all the cool stuff the ZR1 has.

I bought this 2010 ZR1 from forum member David02 back in late Aug.

I started by getting parts from APSIS. The interior with nappa leather, alcantara & carbon fiber and more carbon fiber for the engine & exterior.

I would like to thank Jersey for his great quality products. They are pricey but I took advantage that he had 20% off his products.

I also change all the exterior & interior lights to LED and clear sidemarkers.

Then I decided to start making some power. So my first stage of mods are bolt-ons. I had a local shop do the install.
Here is the mod list.
-Vette Air Scoop
-Cooler Logic Large Capacity Heat Exchanger
-LPE Cold Air Intake System & Cover in Carbon Fiber from Caravaggio
-V Max Ported Throttle Body
-LPE Air Intake Snout
-LPE Supercharger Pulley Upgrade 11 rib / 2.35
-Innovators West Harmonic Balancer 11 rib / 8.5, 14%
-160 Thermostat
-NGK TR6 Plugs
-LS9 Hot Spark Plug Wires
-1100cc. Injectors
-American Racing Headers 1 7/8 w/ X-Pipe No Cats
-MGW Short Throw Shifter
-E85 Formato Tune

I would like to thank.
Jason@ Cooler Logic for giving me a great price on most of this package.
Jeremy Formato for tuning the car and getting it to make the power it did.

The car made 668 rwhp & 703 tq.

Then I go see my friends Jordan & Jon at ADV.1 and put in a order of wheels. As soon as it ready to pick up im going to wrap some Nitto NT05R to put all that power down.

A week before Christmas im having fun with the car and I hear a sound thats not right. Looking to see what it is, the damper bolt came loose. The rack in pinion saved the bolt from flying out. I got the car towed to the shop and how the rack needed to come down I added more mods.
-LG Large Capacity Radiator
-Dallas Performance D6 Cam & Valve Springs Kit
-American Racing Headers 2”

I want to thank Anthony@ American Racing for putting a rush on the build and shipping the headers out asap.

Here is when things go south. Thur getting ready to pick the ZR1 to meet up with Formato for a new tune. The car has a #7 misfire. To make a long story short it broke the pushrod in half. Here is what it looks like when all of them are taken out.

They drop in a set of harden pushrods and the rockers blewout.

For right now we are not 100% sure why this happen. The car was running and sounded fine with all the pushrods bent or busted. Don't ask me how. So for now I have made the decision that Taylor@ Dallas Performance is going to take over and fix this and also add a few more mods. Monday a transporter is pick up the ZR1 to get it over to Taylor.

Im not going to blame anyone and want to move on and not drag this out. I been having fun with this car and want it back as soon as possible to enjoy the new mods it has and going to have. I didn't make this thread to rant about what happen and don't want to go back in forth with members here about what they think happen. It don't matter Taylor is going to fix it and will be able to tell me what happen here.

I made this thread for you guys to see my new ZR1 with it's mods. It just ended up being a set back but keep posted that a new thread with lots of photo's and a video will be up as soon as the ZR1 is back home.

Last edited by GIO-305; 02-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Whoa!!! Sorry for your mishap. Looks like the P/V needs to be checked! Or the cam was installed wrong. Holy cow thats nuts. But yet you said it was running fine. Interested in finidngs. We measured the stockers the other night to get a hardened set.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 01-28-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:48 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Something serious went wrong. Better figure out what did it. That's really strange.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, just wow.

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Whoa!!! Sorry for your mishap. Looks like the P/V needed to be checked! Or the cam was installed wrong. Holy cow thats nuts.

On a brighter note, ZR1s sure do look AMAZING in white (all C6s do for that matter).
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

GIO it was nice talking to you on the phone last week. Great forum member here with some really nice mods done with great results for many of us to learn from. The bolt on only #'s with E85 are nothing short of amazing!!! Love that torque! I'm curious how the clutch is going to hold up to your power level. I'm still pondering those headers
Sorry for the misfortune and I'm 100% all will be worked out and thanks for the thread with updates and pics. I look forward to the new results.

As for Shipping you can try Angel Wings Transporters in GA. Or exotic car transport is located in Florida. Good luck and keep us updated if you dont mind. Sh*t does happen regrettfully. You are handling things way better than I could and I commend you for that boss
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful car and great information.

Sorry to hear about this issue but indeed you will work it out.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Whoa!!! Sorry for your mishap. Looks like the P/V needs to be checked! Or the cam was installed wrong. Holy cow thats nuts. But yet you said it was running fine. Interested in finidngs. We measured the stockers the other night to get a hardened set.
All the bent pushrods are stock ones. What length did you get on the stock ones? At first I thought it was that the cam was installed wrong but it was running fine. Only reason they found the misfire was with the tec2.

The reason we used the stock pushrods so if something happen the pushrods would go first. Only other thing we think is maybe the cam was boxed wrong but we will not know until it comes out. The shop didn't check before putting it in.

Originally Posted by 355Spider
Something serious went wrong. Better figure out what did it. That's really strange.
Yea thats why im going to get Taylor@ Dallas Performance to figure it out.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow, just wow.

On a brighter note, ZR1s sure do look AMAZING in white (all C6s do for that matter).
thanks

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
GIO it was nice talking to you on the phone last week. Great forum member here with some really nice mods done with great results for many of us to learn from. The bolt on only #'s with E85 are nothing short of amazing!!! Love that torque! I'm curious how the clutch is going to hold up to your power level. I'm still pondering those headers
Sorry for the misfortune and I'm 100% all will be worked out and thanks for the thread with updates and pics. I look forward to the new results.

As for Shipping you can try Angel Wings Transporters in GA. Or exotic car transport is located in Florida. Good luck and keep us updated if you dont mind. Sh*t does happen regrettfully. You are handling things way better than I could and I commend you for that boss
Hey Bruce
I will check with them thanks. I have to move forward because this will become a nightmare just like my Z06.

Just with the bolt-ons it made great power. I would like to see if anyone has make the same power with just bolt-ons.

Jump on headers your going to need them.

So far the clutch has hold up but it only seeing hwy rolls. Im going to swap it out now with Dallas Performance.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Whoever installed the cam doesn't know what they are doing. The pushrods are too long and they didn't check the lifter preload. The pushrods are the first thing to give and instead of recognizing that when they bent the first set they just assumed that the pushrods were weak and installed the hardened ones. Since those were no longer the weakest link the rocker arms let go. You were smart to pull your car out of there because they have no clue what they are doing.

Either some other shop did the exact same thing yesterday, or it was your shop that called me asking if we've ever "seen this" before. LOL. Like it's some kind of factory defect.

We are heading down for FL for pickups the week of Feb 6th. If you need help let me know.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 01-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

And this is why I would never mod a new ZR1.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelj
Well thank the MODDING gods his car was used just like yours once you drove it off the lot. No longer new MOD AWAY!!! How much is the price of tea in china anyways?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

always gotta be 1.
btw - things do sometimes go wrong with new unmodded cars
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Whoever installed the cam doesn't know what they are doing. The pushrods are too long and they didn't check the lifter preload. The pushrods are the first thing to give and instead of recognizing that when they bent the first set they just assumed that the pushrods were weak and installed the hardened ones. Since those were no longer the weakest link the rocker arms let go. You were smart to pull your car out of there because they have no clue what they are doing.

Either the some other shop did the exact same thing yesterday, or it was your shop that called me asking if we've ever "seen this" before. LOL. Like it's some kind of factory defect.

We are heading down for FL for pickups the week of Feb 6th. If you need help let me know.
WOW....What a great forum sponsor. If I ever blow mine up, I know where it is going.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

wow.....sorry but that shop is a hack!! go to an experienced shop. IF I mod my Z, it's going to Katech.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

Either the some other shop did the exact same thing yesterday, or it was your shop that called me asking if we've ever "seen this" before. LOL. Like it's some kind of factory defect.

Yea they called you because they mostly do your cam with your springs. But i agree with you I don't think they checked the lifter preload.

Thanks for your help Jason. I already have a transporter picking up the car Monday to take it to Dallas Performance.

I will be calling you anyways in the next few days to order a LS9R clutch.

Some ppl are happy with there stock ZR1 and factory warranty and cry when they have to take it in for warranty work for something small.

And then there is ppl like me that mod the hell out of there cars and enjoy the good and bad of it and have ppl say all the time, wow I would love to do that to my car but I have to wait till the warranty runs out.

Last edited by GIO-305; 01-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by GIO-305
Yea they called you because they mostly do your cam with your springs. But i agree with you I don't think they checked the lifter preload.

Thanks for your help Jason. I already have a transporter picking up the car Monday to take it to Dallas Performance.

I will be calling you anyways in the next few days to order a LS9R clutch.

Some ppl are happy with there stock ZR1 and factory warranty and cry when they have to take it in for warranty work for something small.

And then there is ppl like me that mod the hell out of there cars and enjoy the good and bad of it and have ppl say all the time, wow I would love to do that to my car but I have to wait till the warranty runs out.
Dallas Performance will take good care of you.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you have Katech do the work.

Get notified of new replies

To My long over do thread of my new ZR1

Old 01-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The balencer bolt fell out. Then the pushrod mess which probably forced all the valves to touch the pistons.They'd be picking up the repair bill.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

All I can say is shame on you for hiding that beauty. Mods or not - you needed to post up pics. Beautiful car (I'm biased of course). Good luck with the fixes - hope you're back up and running FAST!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

That sucks Gio... Good luck with it

Quick Reply: [ZR1] My long over do thread of my new ZR1