Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Never Fails... (Parking Lots)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Never Fails... (Parking Lots)

I daily drive my car, it gets parked waaaaaaaay out there at the Park and Ride for when I come to work, and when I go to my evening classes I park in the lot no one uses (usually less than 10 cars in a 200+ slot lot).

Come out after my classes to see an old beat up Chevy Astro Van parked nice and close to my passenger side. Upon inspection they hit my mirror housing, scuffed it real good, and got several little hatch marks down the rest of it.

I will never understand when an entire parking lot is available for use, some people HAVE to park right next to another vehicle. Guess I'll just add it to my touch ups list.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
strev
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
I daily drive my car, it gets parked waaaaaaaay out there at the Park and Ride for when I come to work, and when I go to my evening classes I park in the lot no one uses (usually less than 10 cars in a 200+ slot lot).

Come out after my classes to see an old beat up Chevy Astro Van parked nice and close to my passenger side. Upon inspection they hit my mirror housing, scuffed it real good, and got several little hatch marks down the rest of it.

I will never understand when an entire parking lot is available for use, some people HAVE to park right next to another vehicle. Guess I'll just add it to my touch ups list.
It's almost as if they deliberately do it - I'm certain at least some do. It may be some defect of human nature to seek a spot near someone already parked, and I'm convinced many are too stupid to notice a passenger (or themselves) hitting the adjacent vehicle. Or, equally likely, they could simply not care less. Shoot 'em!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, it means they were doing it on purpose: to be funny, to say "F-U!" to what they perceive to be the rich and entitled class (thank you CNN), or because they're just juvenile *******s and want to destroy anything nice for the fun of it. I don't know how many new/expensive cars got keyed in my University parking lot back in the day, but it happened every other week (or so it seemed).

I do the same thing (parking away from people), and have similar experiences - but thankfully have never had damage, much less what you describe. It's a good thing, because I'm pretty sure I'd flip out, slash the tires, kick a few doors and probably be in the process of setting that van on fire before being arrested.

Now if I parked by the front entrance at walmart and got a ding or scratch - well then I figure I earned that one for choosing the parking spot in a high-volume area. But being at the far end, where no one parks? Simply put, there's no way anyone can pick your car to park next to in an essentially empty lot, damage it, and then pretend that it was an accident. That's why you parked on the ***-end of the lot in the first place. That's also why I'd blow a gasket in your situation...

Last edited by Random84; 01-23-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Trust me, I nearly pulled out my pocket knife to make some flat tires.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Granted it was with my C5, but at a Denny's one time this big lifted truck parked within a foot of me. No way I was getting in my car. I went to the passenger side and popped it in neutral, pushed it out and hopped in. Some people....
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you, I try to park waaaay out in the boonies. One time I mentioned to my wife after parking far way, someone will invariably park near the ZO6. Sure enough someone parked right behind me in a virtually empty lot.

I asked a friend who owns a GS about that scenario - he said they usually just want to look at the car. Not to say people who park next to you and cause damage aren't toolbags.

I usually run in a state park. I try to find a spot at the edge of the lot so I can put as big a gap between me and the next car. One time I did this and a "Lance Armstrong" wannabe parked his pick up on the line closest to my car. He then proceeded to unload his bike. I was waiting for the bike to roll into my car. (It didn't)

Most of us try to avoid the situations as much as possible without being a "parking space hog" (two or more spaces). I know that's not always the case but we try anyway. Most people respect and know why you're parked in the boonies. Its that small percentage of idiots that give us all the grief.

Above all remember this little ditty from my days in the Army:

As soon as they develop something that's "idiot proof" the world will come up with a better idiot.

Last edited by Andydp; 01-23-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
SILVR STREAK
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ignorance and Envy
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Why would anyone put up.w.this.****. I WILL.wait for someone to come.back to.their.car.. **** pisses me off bigtime!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
20psirabbit
Racer

I chalk it up to general douchebaggery.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
tascar7
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Haters gonna hate
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Recently an A$$HOLE in a Dodge 4X4 Diesel pulled over on my side (on purpose) and ran me to the emergency lane. I called 911, as the 4X4 driver exited up the road, the NC Highway Patrol pulled me over and said " Please take it easy, we don't want any road rage".

I just said sorry and thank you and pulled off.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Recently an A$$HOLE in a Dodge 4X4 Diesel pulled over on my side (on purpose) and ran me to the emergency lane. I called 911, as the 4X4 driver exited up the road, the NC Highway Patrol pulled me over and said " Please take it easy, we don't want any road rage".

I just said sorry and thank you and pulled off.
He probably thinks you get free health insurance.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

This crap pisses me off too. That's why I pretty much gave up and just park with everyone else. It was too much to worry about.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
This crap pisses me off too. That's why I pretty much gave up and just park with everyone else. It was too much to worry about.
I agree with you. It's almost like parking way out draws more attention. I'm careful with my parking but I try not to over do it to the point of where it looks like my car is on display. To me that's just an easy target for the hardcore haters.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt the damage was accidental.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Every single time! Happens to me all of the time.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
stone150
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Andydp
I usually run in a state park. I try to find a spot at the edge of the lot so I can put as big a gap between me and the next car. One time I did this and a "Lance Armstrong" wannabe parked his pick up on the line closest to my car. He then proceeded to unload his bike. I was waiting for the bike to roll into my car. (It didn't)
I race Mountain Bikes and the thing I hate most is going to the races. most people with bicycles don't respect their own vehicle (thats fine) or anyone else's. I spend more time detailing my 2001 silverado than I do my Z06 mainly because it is larger and driven more. but once at a race I saw someone waiting around, holding on to the bedside of my truck (so they wouldn't fall over) I flipped out on them, I was actually trying to be nice, but they thought I was joking, I explained I wasn't and they shouldn't touch what isn't theirs. At another race we were parked in a big field and I gave the car next no me 10 feet but of course this cow of a woman decided to park her truck within 3 feet of mine, I moved.

Even in parking lots when I park my truck in the back, some people think I need a friend. Well you know what, I got enough G-damn friends and they are the only ones allowed to park close as they know the rules.

Last edited by stone150; 01-23-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Never Fails... (Parking Lots)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM
TapOut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife used to think I was kidding or crazy when I told her about the "Park right next to me" in an empty parking lot thing, but after showing her that it never fails....she's now a believer!! However this happens with almost every nice car I've had, not just the Vette. I think it's people don't know how to park in an empty spot, and need to use another car as reference so they can park....or they're really just being @ssholes?? I haven't figured it out yet.

Although I do remember back in college there was some @sshole with a vette that used to park sideways taking up 2 spots that would **** me the F off. It's not like it was an empty lot, it was a full jam packed parking structure, and especially during starting week when parking was even more scarce, I always wanted to kick that guys ***.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 PM
SRVfan09
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

I always look for a vette in the lot to park next to. I know another vette guy will not ding my car so it gives me a sense of comfort lol. When I can't find one, I just park out in the boonies but I never do the "slanted" 2 space park. I figure that is asking for someone to be a jerk, even in an empty lot.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 PM
H8VTEC
Instructor

I try to park in between 2 really nice cars (ie: bmw's, benz's, etc...) that way I know the onwers are just as careful as I am

Quick Reply: [Z06] Never Fails... (Parking Lots)