Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C\D : 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2013 Nissan GT-R vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Where does the "absolutely hate the price" show up in the points?
I never said it did. You are over analyzing my comments. My point wasn't that the Corvette would win no matter what. Go back to my last post and I read what I said. It was a sarcastic remark about the fact that they will always find something to not like. Heck, I don't even disagree with them picking the Porsche first. I'm just take a good natured jab at them.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
No, in the real world, magazine "points" don't mean ****.
Trunk space doesn't mean anything in the real world? Fit and finish doesn't mean anything in the real world? Points are awarded for each of these.

The reviewers assessed many different things and awarded points for each of them. I'd offer that people shopping for a sports car also perform assessments on prospective cars and in their own way also "award points" based on their opinions.

Assessments (points) matter; what else do people use besides assessments when deciding on what car to buy?

You just don't like the assessments of the reviewers. Fair enough, as we all don't place the same emphasis on things, and we all don't assess a car's qualities at the same fidelity level.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
I never said it did. You are over analyzing my comments. My point wasn't that the Corvette would win no matter what. Go back to my last post and I read what I said. It was a sarcastic remark about the fact that they will always find something to not like. Heck, I don't even disagree with them picking the Porsche first. I'm just take a good natured jab at them.
Fair enough.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Trunk space doesn't mean anything in the real world? Fit and finish doesn't mean anything in the real world? Points are awarded for each of these.

The reviewers assessed many different things and awarded points for each of them. I'd offer that people shopping for a sports car also perform assessments on prospective cars and in their own way also "award points" based on their opinions.

Assessments (points) matter; what else do people use besides assessments when deciding on what car to buy?

You just don't like the assessments of the reviewers. Fair enough, as we all don't place the same emphasis on things, and we all don't assess a car's qualities at the same fidelity level.
You asked the question, I just answered that points awarded based on subjective responses don't mean much in reality. "Interior styling"? I guess if you're an interior decorator it might mean something. Look at the fuel economy "points" awarded. The Z06 has the same hwy mpg as the P car, and just -2 mpg less city, but was dinged 3 big points (despite having nearly TWICE the displacement) A perfect "10" for the P car, and just a "7" for the 427ci Z06. Really? The "point" system, which is based on subjective feelings, doesn't mean a whole lot. Who gets dinged and how much they get dinged is purely subjective and doesn't necessarily correlate to anything in most of the categories.

Just my subjective opinion, but if I were to spend $131k large on a performance car, it better be capable of bringing Armageddon down on a car that costs less than half as much (GS).
Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Mark Rx????????????Wtf are you doing??????????Talk about throwing money in the garbage.What you are doing makes no sense whatsoever.None!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Notch
Safety Car

I just answered that points awarded based on subjective responses don't mean much in reality.
And I think that, in reality, subjective "points" are a major consideration for most people.

Just my subjective opinion, but if I were to spend $131k large on a performance car, it better be capable of bringing Armageddon down on a car that costs less than half as much (GS).
If that is your primary buying metric, then great. But I don't think that's the primary consideration for the majority of sports car owners. I don't think the majority of sports car owners either take their cars to any kind of track, or engage in street racing, so their car being capable of "bringing Armageddon down" just isn't even a consideration, especially when that concept is tied to the cost of the car.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is that real world "can't shake the other car" a point category?
Ok, you win, Car & Driver is always completely and irrefutably objective and they state only clear cut factual evidence in everything that they report.

You asked the question, I just answered that points awarded based on subjective responses don't mean much in reality. "Interior styling"? I guess if you're an interior decorator it might mean something. Look at the fuel economy "points" awarded. The Z06 has the same hwy mpg as the P car, and just -2 mpg less city, but was dinged 3 big points (despite having nearly TWICE the displacement) A perfect "10" for the P car, and just a "7" for the 427ci Z06. Really? The "point" system, which is based on subjective feelings, doesn't mean a whole lot. Who gets dinged and how much they get dinged is purely subjective and doesn't necessarily correlate to anything in most of the categories.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ok, you win, Car & Driver is always completely and irrefutably objective and they state only clear cut factual evidence in everything that they report.
Do you understand what subjective evaluations are?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

And I think that, in reality, subjective "points" are a major consideration for most people.

If that is your primary buying metric, then great. But I don't think that's the primary consideration for the majority of sports car owners. I don't think the majority of sports car owners either take their cars to any kind of track, or engage in street racing, so their car being capable of "bringing Armageddon down" just isn't even a consideration, especially when that concept is tied to the cost of the car.
I think you are completely wrong. Most sports car buyers want something that at least dominates other sports cars in their respective msrp brackets, even if they never engage in any real competition. A sports car's performance reputation is a major consideration by most people. Ferrari and Porsche spend millions each year in racing to perpetuate their performance reputations, as do most other sports car manufacturers.

If it wasn't a primary consideration, then there would be no need to test those car's performance abilities in magazine. When people talk about these kind of comparisons, they first look at which one is fastest, which one handles best, brakes best and which one is fastest around a road course. I don't think I've ever heard someone first mention interior design when trying to justify spending large sums of money on a sports car.

And to pay $131k for a car that barely eeks out a performance edge on a car that cost less than half, well, I think that tells it all.

It's a cars performance data get's people talking, not points for "interior design". As I pointed out above, subjective scoring of points is just too arbitrary to mean much. The mpg scoring is a perfect example.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 01-02-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you understand what subjective evaluations are?
Yes.

Do you?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys shouldn't be too ticked about the review, if all you care about is raw numbers, the Z06 did very well for itself.....the 126mph trap speed is one of the highest I've seen yet from a mag test aided by the excellent tires.

But raw numbers aside.......

The C6 interior/build quality has changed little from it's introduction in 2005. The C6 is on it's final lap as a generation and it should be of no surprise that it just won't stack up well against newer cars when it comes to materials/fit/finish etc.

From a purely unbiased viewpoint I can see why those other cars would rank higher then a Z06. Z06 is the track edition of the Corvette lineup, it kicks butt as it's meant to on a track.......in day to day street driving all that track potential is moot (as they correctly point out when it rains those Z06 tires are useless) when the GTR seats 4/can drive in snow/gets off the line faster and the 911 is more of an upscale sports car.

If the review was focused on what the better track car was, I bet the Z06 would take that comparison.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
The C6 interior/build quality has changed little from it's introduction in 2005. The C6 is on it's final lap as a generation and it should be of no surprise that it just won't stack up well against newer cars when it comes to materials/fit/finish etc.

From a purely unbiased viewpoint I can see why those other cars would rank higher then a Z06. Z06 is the track edition of the Corvette lineup, it kicks butt as it's meant to on a track.......in day to day street driving all that track potential is moot (as they correctly point out when it rains those Z06 tires are useless) when the GTR seats 4/can drive in snow/gets off the line faster and the 911 is more of an upscale sports car.

If the review was focused on what the better track car was, I bet the Z06 would take that comparison.

I agree. All good points.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Notch
Safety Car

I think you are completely wrong.
Well, I can't be completely wrong because I know plenty of people who don't place the majority (or all) of their points on "performance".

Most sports car buyers want something that at least dominates other sports cars in their respective msrp brackets, even if they never engage in any real competition.
What on Earth for?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:56 AM
paisa427
Instructor

For there tests I never pay attention to, the oh lost points for no extra cup holders, no back seat/ can grandma get in and out with ease. Its a sports car its the performance aspects that matter and the z06 kicked butt in those aspects.

Last edited by paisa427; 01-02-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 AM
VY ZR1
Advanced

I agree. All good points.
Oh no! The myans must be right about 2012

Notch just agreed with the statement that a corvette was superior to a porsche on the track!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 AM
SpeedyGjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
GT-R don't look like a sportscar, it look like a school kid car and its overpriced, but even if it was a $50k car I still will not buy one because its not and ugly.
Can't wait for a GT-R to pull up on the side of my car.

Get notified of new replies

To C\D : 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2013 Nissan GT-R vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

IMO the point system can be BS... But I have to say I have driven many of the cars that C&D has tested against the Z06 over the years... no question a lot of the weaknesses in the C6 become evident when you drive these other makes and models. No car is perfect, the C6 Z06 is no different... However it makes the most of what it is. Yes the seats arent the very supportive for the "track car" of the Vette line up. Not to mention compared to the 911 I am sure the Vette comes up short in build quality. But the raw numbers dont lie. And in fact a lot of what sells these cars are raw numbers. Not sure if I were in the market today for a new car if I would go for a $100k Z06 though....
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
IMO the point system can be BS... But I have to say I have driven many of the cars that C&D has tested against the Z06 over the years... no question a lot of the weaknesses in the C6 become evident when you drive these other makes and models. No car is perfect, the C6 Z06 is no different... However it makes the most of what it is. Yes the seats arent the very supportive for the "track car" of the Vette line up. Not to mention compared to the 911 I am sure the Vette comes up short in build quality. But the raw numbers dont lie. And in fact a lot of what sells these cars are raw numbers. Not sure if I were in the market today for a new car if I would go for a $100k Z06 though....
a 100k+ sticker for a z06 is getting on the verge of silly.

from 0-150 the z06 was nearly a second quicker than the GTR.

The test should have also included track times on a road course.

The only time in car and driver I have ever seen a corvette score higher then the porsche is in a 1991 test of a c4zr1 and Porsche turbo.

Car and Driver = a bunch of blow hards.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Well, I can't be completely wrong because I know plenty of people who don't place the majority (or all) of their points on "performance".

What on Earth for?
Well, if you believe a sports car's performance reputation isn't a major or primary consideration, then you are completely wrong, IMO. It's huge, and "why on Earth for?" because that's the nature of people that buy these cars.

I'm not saying *everyone* who buys a sports car uses this thought process. For example, I have an ex gf that bought a carrera convertible. She had no idea, nor cared, how that car stacked up against any other sports car except for the fact it said "Porsche", something she felt was important for her trips into Scottsdale to shop. But even then, the P-car's reputation for performance no doubt made that car show up on her radar, though she may not have understood completely why.

My original point concerned the subjectivity of the "points" system.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C\D : 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2013 Nissan GT-R vs. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S