Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine's a March 09' build. No symptoms and I have 27k miles. Got lucky.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 2348118
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4698: Slipping Clutch At Low Mileage - Replace Clutch Disc And Pilot Bearing - keywords installation replacement - (Sep 16, 2009)
Subject: Slipping Clutch at Low Mileage - Replace Clutch Disc and Pilot Bearing

Models: 2009 Chevrolet Corvette

Manufactured 02/2009 - 09/2009

with a Manual Transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some Corvette owners may complain of a slipping clutch that started happening at low mileage. This may be the result of pilot bearing grease getting on the clutch disc if the vehicle was manufactured from 02/2009-09/2009.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If this concern is encountered, follow SI procedures to replace the clutch disc and pilot bearing, and clean the pressure plate and flywheel with brake clean. Make sure the pressure is properly adjusted prior to installation.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Here's some additional info for you;

Symptoms - Clutch
Strategy Based Diagnostics

Review the system operations in order to familiarize yourself with the system functions. Refer to Clutch System Description and Operation .

Visual/Physical Inspection

• Inspect the easily accessible or visible system components for obvious damage or conditions which could cause the symptom.

• Visually inspect the clutch master cylinder reservoir for the correct fluid level. Do not open.

• Inspect the hydraulic clutch lines for dents, kinks or other obvious damage that may affect the clutch system operations.

• Inspect the hydraulic lines for proper installation.

• Inspect the clutch system for contamination of dirt, oil, or other substances that may affect the clutch system operations.

• Inspect for aftermarket parts.

• Inspect the clutch pedal for binding, over-center spring in use or operation.

Intermittent

Test the vehicle under the same conditions that the customer reported in order to verify the system is operating properly.

Symptom List

Note: Due to the variety of clutch options, there may be components in the mechanical diagnostic tables that are not on a particular vehicle.

Refer to a symptom diagnostic procedure from the following list in order to diagnose the symptom:

• Clutch Drag Hard Shifting

• Clutch Slipping

• Clutch Grabbing

• Clutch Rattle

• Clutch Noisy

• Clutch Pedal Spongy, Low Pedal Effort, Hesitates on Return

Information
2009 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 1876417

Clutch Slipping

Cause

Action

DEFINITION: The clutch does not engage completely after the pedal is released, after shifting gears, or the clutch slips during maximum engine loads, such as climbing hills or high vehicle speeds. Clutch slipping is identified by increase in engine RPM without increase in vehicle speed.

Review the Symptoms - Clutch and perform the necessary inspections.

Incorrect clutch pedal height, not allowing the clutch master cylinder to return

Adjust the clutch pedal position switch. Refer to Clutch Pedal Position Sensor Replacement .

The clutch pedal return spring is broken or missing

Replace the clutch pedal return spring, if equipped. Refer to Clutch Pedal Replacement .

The clutch pedal is binding or sticking

1. Clear away any items that may be contacting the pedal.
2. Inspect the pedal bushings for ease of movement.
3. Replace the clutch pedal if it is faulty. Refer to Clutch Pedal Replacement .

Clutch master cylinder binding or seized

Replace the clutch master cylinder. Refer to Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement .

Clutch actuator cylinder binding or seized

Replace the clutch actuator cylinder. Refer to Clutch Actuator Cylinder Replacement .

Kinked or damaged clutch hydraulic hose

1. Inspect for the correct routing of the clutch hydraulic hose.
2. Route the hose properly.
3. Inspect for loose or faulty engine mounts that may allow the hydraulic hose to be kinked or pinched.
4. Repair or replace faulty engine mounts. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement - Left Side and Engine Mount Replacement - Right Side .
5. Repair or replace the clutch hydraulic hose if it is damaged. Refer to Hydraulic Clutch Hose/Pipe Replacement .

Grease or oil contamination of the clutch disc

1. Repair the source of the oil leak.
2. Repair the source of the grease leak.
3. Clean the contamination from the clutch components.
4. If contaminates cannot be removed, replace the clutch assembly. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement .

Worn or damaged flywheel

Replace the engine flywheel. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement .

Worn clutch disc facing

Replace the clutch assembly. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement .

Burnt or glazed clutch discs

Replace the clutch assembly. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement .

Input shaft splines worn

Replace the input shaft. Refer to Transmission Disassemble .

Improper resurfacing of the flywheel

Replace the flywheel if it has been improperly resurfaced, allowing contact of the clutch disc hub or insufficient clamping load of the pressure plate. Refer to Engine Flywheel Replacement .
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM
chevybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2009 Z clutch slips on the dyno with 5000 miles on it. Built 8/08
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 Z with 5.5k mi. puts out ~700 rwhp and has been on dyno for about a dozen runs. No clutch slippage noted.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by LOUFY
Thanks for the comparison. Chevy should have went with a twin disk on the Z. I love my LS9R compared to stock.

X 2. Seems like a no brainer. Don't know why they haven't put the ZR's clutch in these cars.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
3. My '09 Zed had the H-pipe, but the post '09 Zeds have the X-pipe. I think the H-pipe cars at idle, sound like a power boat (fuse removed in both cases!), and they have more of a drone than the newer X-pipe Zeds. The X-pipe Zeds are not as loud at idle, and they are quiter with less drone at speed over the H-pipe Zeds. In comparison, I prefer the X-pipe sound (refined brute) to the H-pipe sound (motorboat/truckish). I especially like the sound of the crackle and pops when shifting gears in the new Zed... It sounds a bit NASCARish, but not quite as much low end bass as the older Zeds...
I just changed the H-pipe on my 06Z with an X-pipe no other exhaust mods. I noticed the same thing the X-pipe is quieter at idle and not as boat like. And pops more on decel and I guess you could say more refined brute sound with throttle.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I agree with the poster I traded my 09 z06 2lz 23000 miles cyber gray for 2012 z06 torch red 3lz for power pass seat yeah would ya know it they made power pass seats on all pkgs. Aw nuts.
z51vett

Quick Reply: [Z06] '09 Z06 vs '12 Z06