Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Test drove a ZR1 Today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Test drove a ZR1 Today...

I saw an 09 Cyber Gray ZR1 posted for sale by one of the forum dealers and decided to take a look today since the car is local and the price seems pretty reasonable. It's very hard for me to compare my modded Z06 to the ZR1 because it's a completely different animal.

The ZR1 was smooth and flat out fast. I was very, very impressed. The dealership was ready to deal with me and showed me pricing on the used 09 and a brand new 2010 they have on the lot. Unfortunately, I just dropped my Z06 off to get the heads done and a ported Fast 102 intake put on. I have a feeling that the ZR1 bug is going to continue to bother me.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

It's a hard bug to get rid of !!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06

The ZR1 was smooth and flat out fast. I was very, very impressed. The dealership was ready to deal with me and showed me pricing on the used 09 and a brand new 2010 they have on the lot. Unfortunately, I just dropped my Z06 off to get the heads done and a ported Fast 102 intake put on. I have a feeling that the ZR1 bug is going to continue to bother me.
I think every ZR1 owner feels the same way every time we hit the start button and drive.

Good luck with your future purchase...

Originally Posted by ufaj26
It's a hard bug to get rid of !!!!

There's 0nly one way...
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

What was the price of the ZR1?????
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP, as I (and others) have said in several different threads, you are now doomed to buy a ZR1 !
There is no other way to rid yourself of the disease...!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
OP, as I (and others) have said in several different threads, you are now doomed to buy a ZR1 !
There is no other way to rid yourself of the disease...!
But I do love my Z06!!! F$#K!!! It's killing me!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpcrDCNa_cU
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

seriously, both are great cars, as we all know ! The two finest Corvette models ever made...

...the "mistake" I made was sitting in (my) ZR1 on the dealer's outside showroom patio and starting the engine.
It was all over (for me) after that ! I didn't even have to drive it...I just knew

I did a lot of research at the time on the new one, dealer inventories, my trade, financing, and negotiated calmly
and as hard as I could. It took about 12 days to close the deal...

But, I always knew what the outcome would be...good luck !.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 12-27-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I do love my Z06!!! F$#K!!! It's killing me!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpcrDCNa_cU

That sounds so mean......

I sent you a PM.

Brian
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

yup, in the same boat, I just got my 2008 Z06 with 4200 miles just this past May, haven't even put 1500 miles on it yet and honestly as I mentioned in the past, do think the Z06 looks a little better with it's monotone paint roof and love my factory wheels......BUT, a dealer an hour away has a 3800 mile 2010 Torch Red ZR1 for a current price of $95k (was $107k) and it's been available for a while now. So what did I do? I low balled a difference of $20-$22k. Dealer replied " so what do you really want to pay ". Hahaha.......I know a realistic difference is probably around $35k difference. Keep in mind, all above numbers are Canadian dollars.

It's driving me nuts and wife would kill me even though I have $12k stashed away, as I've already told her to get ready for my 50th bday a few years away

Now, I do know there will be many garage queens available then too as I learned the more people spend on their toys, the less they drive them

So, it's driving me crazy to not own the topdog and I love my Z now. No....can't afford both

Ah.....wish I was loaded $$$

Last edited by RedZ4me; 12-27-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

your z sounds soooooo good !!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
your z sounds soooooo good !!

really...I can feel my keyboard shake with that one !

(wish I could buy it from ya'...but can't )
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
seriously, both are great cars, as we all know ! The two finest Corvette models ever made...

...the "mistake" I made was sitting in (my) ZR1 on the dealer's outside showroom patio and starting the engine.
It was all over (for me) after that ! I didn't even have to drive it...I just knew

I’ve found it very difficult to get the “feel” of the ZR1 during a dealer test drive. How often will a salesperson allow you to do a WOT pull thru 3rd gear during a test drive…and let’s be honest guys, you simply can’t evaluate the power of the LS9 when punching it from 1st or 2nd gear. The power of the LS7 smokes the tires just as easily as the LS9.
I’m not detracting from the true performance of the ZR1, but I think many people get caught up in the fact that they are test driving a ZR1, so it “must be awesome”.

Owners will attest to the power of the LS9, because they get to really put it down once they own the car, but I’ve never been able to do it in a test drive. That being said, you can pretty much “imagine” what that added HP will do and I think that’s the impression most drivers get during a test drive of the ZR1.

I’ve “test driven” the ZR1 twice and the LS9 has never "felt any faster” than the LS7, although I “know” that it certainly is. Point being that a dealer test drive of a ZR1 is pretty much worthless to evaluate the LS9’s potential…at least that’s been my experience.

You pretty much just have to buy the car if you want it, knowing what it is capable of.

Last edited by Cypher; 12-28-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

But I do love my Z06!!! F$#K!!! It's killing me!!!

Nick....just dance with the one you brought. Yous looks & sounds great to me.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cypher

I’ve found it very difficult to get the “feel” of the ZR1 during a dealer test drive. How often will a salesperson allow you to do a WOT pull thru 3rd gear during a test drive…and let’s be honest guys, you simply can’t evaluate the power of the LS9 when punching it from 1st or 2nd gear. The power of the LS7 smokes the tires just as easily as the LS9.
I’m not detracting from the true performance of the ZR1, but I think many people get caught up in the fact that they are test driving a ZR1, so it “must be awesome”.

Owners will attest to the power of the LS9, because they get to really put it down once they own the car, but I’ve never been able to do it in a test drive. That being said, you can pretty much “imagine” what that added HP will do and I think that’s the impression most drivers get during a test drive of the ZR1.

I’ve “test driven” the ZR1 twice and the LS9 has never "felt any faster” than the LS7, although I “know” that it certainly is. Point being that a dealer test drive of a ZR1 is pretty much worthless to evaluate the LS9’s potential…at least that’s been my experience.

You pretty much just have to buy the car if you want it, knowing what it is capable of.
Keep in mind that I was test driving a used ZR1. My test drive included WOT pulls well into third with the traction control off. My evaluation was based on the difference between my cammed Z06 and the ZR1.

The ability to have a car with similar power to what I have now and the driveability of a stock car as a starting point is what makes a ZR1 attractive to me.

I recently dropped my car off to have the heads done and I'm on the fence about adding forced induction to my Z06. Seeing low mile used ZR1 prices drop into the $70K range is making it more difficult for me to justify modding my Z06 to the power levels I'm looking for.....
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by fartpipe
what was the price of the zr1?????
$80k
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

How many owners are REALLY going to use more performance than the C6... maybe even the C6Z06. I bet we can probably count on our hands and toes the ones in here that are really using all of the ZR1's capabilities/power. Its a lot of money to spend. Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the ZR1 and amazed at what Kyle has been able to achieve with this Yellow ZR1 rocket. Witnessing it first hand has made it all the sweeter! I'm just curious is it going to REALLY be worth the extra $$$. Me I will be racing the car and putting it through its paces so it might be worth it. Still debating I keep watching the pricing go up and down. Scarey to watch a loaded black 2010 with 862miles and the guy cant give it away at $85k. I keep seeing them fall down to mid $70's now and stealerships getting them for close to $70-72k. A really nice 09 Z06 can fetch a measly $45k so say 30,000 price tag difference. Yes the brakes are nice, the ZR1 badge is nice, the performance is nice but $30k more????
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Ahh man me and the guys at work just love it. Sounds mean as hell.

Get notified of new replies

To Test drove a ZR1 Today...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that I was test driving a used ZR1. My test drive included WOT pulls well into third with the traction control off. My evaluation was based on the difference between my cammed Z06 and the ZR1.

The ability to have a car with similar power to what I have now and the driveability of a stock car as a starting point is what makes a ZR1 attractive to me.

I recently dropped my car off to have the heads done and I'm on the fence about adding forced induction to my Z06. Seeing low mile used ZR1 prices drop into the $70K range is making it more difficult for me to justify modding my Z06 to the power levels I'm looking for.....
Understood…my post was not directed at your situation, but more toward the title of your thread and ZR1 test drives in general.

It’s damn hard to convince a dealer to let you test drive a new ZR1, let alone stand on it once you get it out of the showroom.

I’ve never been one to buy used, so no experience with the process. I just wouldn’t be comfortable opening a can of “whoop-***” on someone else’s $100k+ car.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

So are you financing or paying cash and going used or new? Seems those are the only decisions that remain.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
How many owners are REALLY going to use more performance than the C6... maybe even the C6Z06. I bet we can probably count on our hands and toes the ones in here that are really using all of the ZR1's capabilities/power.

I have. Several times.

And it's been a great ownership experience. Even when I'm in it and not pushing it to its full potential - i.e. just cruising around having fun, rolling into the throttle, feeling that massive stock torque curve, enjoying the suspension and brake performance etc.

Although mine has seen all-out performance on the track several times, you can still enjoy the performance this machine has to offer even off the track (just need to keep your head about you and be sensible about it).

But I understand your point, and no doubt a great number of these ZRs will be garage queens, and the owners will simply have the satisfaction of owning the most capable vette of all time. Nothing wrong with doing that, either, if they so choose and it brings a smile.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Test drove a ZR1 Today...