Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Launch control

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch control

Does the 2011 ZR1 have launch control?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Yes, mine does.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

I am thinking about buying one and i wasn't sure if they have one. How does it work?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
IRS-Cop
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette6.0
I am thinking about buying one and i wasn't sure if they have one. How does it work?
Launch control came out in 2010 in all of the manual Vettes and Camaros to my understanding. To activate, turn off traction control, engage the clutch, floor the gas and hold, let the RPM's settle out (which is approx. 4,000) and lift your foot off the clutch. The RPM's will quickly dither down and the car will launch. Hold on and shift!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

Okay thankyou. I have a Porsche turbo S and it has launch control and i love it! it really throws you back in your seat but then again it runs 10.5's stock.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Okay thankyou. I have a Porsche turbo S and it has launch control and i love it! it really throws you back in your seat but then again it runs 10.5's stock.
Not as fast as a ZR1 with the right driver of course (Kyle). Actually launch control came with 2010 ZR1 and later models because of Performance Traction Management (PTM). The car has to be in PTM mode to use the launch control in which you push the traction control button on the console twice to engage.

Tim
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Corvette6.0
Advanced

so it just has to be in Competition mode?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
timvette7
Instructor

so it just has to be in Competition mode?
Their is no competition mode for 10'-12'. That was only on the 09' model. The PTM consists of 5 settings when engaged which setting 1 ( wet track) is the most conservative thru 5 ( race ) being the most aggresive as far as traction and stability. Launch control can be done in all PTM settings ( 1-5). Hope this explains it a little better. You can also check out some youtube videos where you can find some demonstrations.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by timvette7
Not as fast as a ZR1 with the right driver of course (Kyle).

The difference is the Turbo S doesn't need "the right driver" to run that time.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Notch
The difference is the Turbo S doesn't need "the right driver" to run that time.
And the ZR1 want need the right driver if it meets a Turbo S on a closed street . The Turbo S has 530 HP and weighs 3494lbs according to Porsche website. I assure you it is no match for the ZR1 which has over 100 more horspower and weighs less. With those numbers ( stock vs. stock of course) it is a no brainer what is going to happen. The ZR1 wins everytime. Besides I don't think a stock Turbo S will hit mid 10's. The pound per horsepower is just not their even with all wheel drive. Not trying to get off topic but I had to bring a reality check back to you.

Last edited by timvette7; 12-14-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Notch
Safety Car

And the ZR1 want need the right driver if it meets a Turbo S on the street. The ZR1 wins everytime.
I certainly don't condone street racing, so I'll offer that at the drag strip the Turbo S will not lose every time to the ZR1.

This is offered only as an example illustrating that "the ZR1 doesn't win every time", as I'm not much into performance numbers or racing being the determining factor regarding what car to buy (so in the end, I couldn't care less which car has the lower ET): Here's a lowly 997 Turbo (non-S) 6-speed vs the ZR1. The 997 Turbo S with PDK is even quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untGTQWiVF0

I'd offer that on the street (if someone elects to see how cars match up from a standing start, and I don't think they should) the Turbo S will end up in front at any speed below "go to jail". I personally wouldn't bet on a stock ZR1 going against a stock Turbo S at any drag strip, just from a "bet wisely" standpoint.

The Vette and the Porsche are both great cars.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Besides I don't think a stock Turbo S will hit mid 10's.
I guess it depends on what window "mid" constitutes. Road & Track recorded a 10.7 quarter mile time for a bone stock Turbo S (along with a 2.6 sec 0-60 time, and a 6.3 sec 0-100 time). Think "launch control" (along with huge rear wheel traction)...it keeps with the thread topic.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Thats funny. Motortrend couldn't run a desent quarter mile time if their life depended on it. (11.5 at 124mph) Thats a joke my grandma could run a better time in a ZR1. Many guys are hitting low 11's to high 10's with stock tires in the ZR with not that much experience plus the ZR1 will also eat the Turbo S's lunch on the road coarse. Just face it, the ZR1 wins all the way around because it is the better car all the way around.

Tim
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Notch
I guess it depends on what window "mid" constitutes. Road & Track recorded a 10.7 quarter mile time for a bone stock Turbo S (along with a 2.6 sec 0-60 time, and a 6.3 sec 0-100 time). Think "launch control" (along with huge rear wheel traction)...it keeps with the thread topic.
Quit believing in those magazines! If you haven't figured it out yet they are bias and they lie. You can't trust everthing they say. However you can trust a timeslip that isn't corrected . Those magazine drivers need all the launch control they can get.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Thats funny. Motortrend couldn't run a desent quarter mile time if their life depended on it.
I thought you said the driver wouldn't matter.

Back to the key here...the Turbo and Turbo S (PDK versions) will turn whatever times they are capable of turning that day with any average driver behind the wheel. Said another way, an average driver will always be able to extract the maximum performance out of a PDK Turbo in terms of straight line acceleration. The same can not be said about the ZR1.

As for the ZR1 "always winning", take you opinion to the drag strip and put your money behind your hopes.

Here are just two guys driving their respective cars (a non-S Turbo PDK) ; a scenario that should match well with what could be considered a random street encounter (where you said the ZR1 will always win).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6sux...BF9B6EB56D6B0A

Both are great cars, and I personally don't care which car turns the quicker quarter mile time.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 AM
winstonc
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Quit believing in those magazines! If you haven't figured it out yet they are bias and they lie. You can't trust everthing they say. However you can trust a timeslip that isn't corrected . Those magazine drivers need all the launch control they can get.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Guys -

Best to just ignore Notch and not legitimize his opinions any further by arguing with him. I plonked him ages ago, and my Corvette Forum surfing has been far more enjoyable since.

You're basically wasting your time.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Launch control

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
Guys -

Best to just ignore Notch and not legitimize his opinions any further by arguing with him. I plonked him ages ago, and my Corvette Forum surfing has been far more enjoyable since.

You're basically wasting your time.

jas
I appreciate your advice. You can't tell someone something that doesn't believe the law of physics . 6.5 lbs per horsepower ( turbo s) vs. 5 lbs per horsepower ( zr1 ) has no chance given everything equal. I will give him credit for a turbo s being easy to launch because of awd. The Zr1 is a real drivers car and eats porsche's for breakfast.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Notch
Safety Car

I appreciate your advice. You can't tell someone something that doesn't believe the law of physics . 6.5 lbs per horsepower ( turbo s) vs. 5 lbs per horsepower ( zr1 ) has no chance given everything equal.
The power doesn't matter much off the line if the driver can't get it effectively to the pavement.

Fell free to explain, using physics, the results of the 997 Turbo vs ZR1 in the last video I linked.

I will give him credit for a turbo s being easy to launch because of awd.
AWD is not the reason the Turbo is easy to launch.

The Zr1...eats porsche's for breakfast.
Not at the drag strip, and more specifically to what you've posted in this thread, not in a standing start street encounter.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jvp
Guys -

Best to just ignore Notch and not legitimize his opinions any further by arguing with him.
Fell free to offer why you think what I've posted is not accurate.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Launch control