Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 in snow, ice, cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:56 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ZR1 in snow, ice, cold temps?

I currently have a C6Z06, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a ZR1. I live in Kansas City, and drive my cars every day and year round ... snow, ice, rain, cold temps. That said, are there any problems I can expect with the ZR1 in cold temps and snow? Any issues with brakes/rotors, or carbon fiber parts? Handling any worse or better than Z06 in snow? It'll see temps as low as -10F. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It can,t be done.......vettes are not for snow. It just not!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Do they use salt on the roads in the winter? I'd be a little concerned with the brake rotors, they say to only use soap & water on them because any other cleaning stuff will absorb into the rotors. I can see the salt doing the same...

The first time they salt the roads up here, my cars are off the road until Spring.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:12 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a couple of Z06s, and drove them in cold weather, rain, but not snow. Even the Z06 is a hand full in cold weather but the ZR1 is a monster when it gets cold. No way would I drive either one in the snow.

TRR
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Jimmy Z
It can,t be done.......vettes are not for snow. It just not!

Originally Posted by jft69z
Do they use salt on the roads in the winter? I'd be a little concerned with the brake rotors, they say to only use soap & water on them because any other cleaning stuff will absorb into the rotors. I can see the salt doing the same...

The first time they salt the roads up here, my cars are off the road until Spring.

Originally Posted by TRR
I've had a couple of Z06s, and drove them in cold weather, rain, but not snow. Even the Z06 is a hand full in cold weather but the ZR1 is a monster when it gets cold. No way would I drive either one in the snow.

TRR

Just say NO, DON'T do it
What's the point of having a Car like that to run it in the snow
Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Z06 handles light snow just fine. I don't see why a zr1 would be any different. Here is a picture of my cammed 550rwhp z06 driving home from work last year. No issues.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Go ahead and do it .... the "Exotic Wrecked" market needs more ZR1's to sell
Old 11-19-2011, 09:56 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default i have to sit down

Originally Posted by molon labe
I currently have a C6Z06, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a ZR1. I live in Kansas City, and drive my cars every day and year round ... snow, ice, rain, cold temps. That said, are there any problems I can expect with the ZR1 in cold temps and snow? Any issues with brakes/rotors, or carbon fiber parts? Handling any worse or better than Z06 in snow? It'll see temps as low as -10F. Thanks.
the thought of driving a ZR1 in the winter makes me light headed.
for me that would be like seeing a race horses pulling the budweiser
wagon through the snow like on those xmas season commercials.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

That said, are there any problems I can expect with the ZR1 in cold temps and snow?
I won't drive my car in the snow and ice because I don't have winter tires for it. However, in the cold and dry, it does fine. Bear in mind though, there's an air temperature where the PS2 tires just will not warm up, regardless of how long you drive them. I don't know what that temp is, but Michelin has stated it a few times, somewhere. Anyway, the results are obvious: lots more torque than you had when it was warmer, and lots less grip. Meaning you have to drive with a lot more care than you were.

Given the ZR1's lack of ground clearance, I wouldn't even bother driving it in the snow. High-centering the car or just wedging it into a snow drift would be a big threat.

jas
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

^^^ I agree with Jas.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

April fools is more than four months away!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
swc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen Quagmire
April fools is more than four months away!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

A ZR1 and snow/ice is a recipe for disaster. Nothing good can come of it!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies (especially jft69z), and even the funny ones.

They do use salt here. I live in the middle of the city, and consequently have mostly clear roads and routes to major roads w/in 24-48 hrs of snowstorms.

Maybe I'll plan on sticking with the Z06 this winter. fwiw, the reason why I even consider a ZR1 in winter is that I was going to look into a Nissan GT-R AWD for winter, but quickly realized I could have a ZR1 for the same price and consequently could no longer justify the GT-R. I do also have an AWD Benz for those days when the snow is too deep or the ice too treacherous.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:25 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I was going to look into a Nissan GT-R AWD for winter, but quickly realized I could have a ZR1 for the same price and consequently could no longer justify the GT-R.
Without proper tires on the ZR1, you're going to go nowhere. And you're going to get there pretty quickly. I'm not sure if Pirelli has made their kick-*** winter tires in the ZR1 sizes yet. I know they work very well on base Corvettes, and the likes of the CTS-V. You'll have to check and see if they've made ones large enough for the ZR1. Driving through muck with the stock PS2s will be beyond disastrous.

jas
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Times have changed

40 years ago a corvette would be a persons only car and if the man of the house needed to use a truck for work, the wife used the corvette 12 months out of the year for whatever else needed to be done...... rain, shine, or snow

There is an old thread in the C2 section about a guy's wife who was a school teacher and drove his ultra rare L88 corvette with snow tires to school all winter long while he drove the family "work vehicle"
Old 11-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heated seats, killer ABS, and active handling are great for cold weather, ice, and light snow. That said, I would try to keep my ZR1 away from salt, slush, sand, deep snow, and especially OTHER FREAKIN WINTER DRIVERS.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 in snow, ice, cold temps?

Old 11-19-2011, 02:31 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I think for the cost of less than one small ZR1 fender bender ($10-$20K) you could buy a decent used second car for the winter and keep the ZR1 out of winter dangers and elements.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:18 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

I have driven my vettes in the winter for years. I had an 05 vert with all-season tires for the winter (before the Sottozeros came in vette sizes), and I drove it in the cold and occasional very light snow, but I got caught in true snowstorm conditions and trying to get up a minimal incline for an off-ramp from a tollway was ridiculous.

In 08 I picked up my Z06 and although I did drive it in the cold with no problems as long as I was very gentle with the go pedal, I avoided snow at all costs as the car had summer-only tires. I did get burned though, when a forecast for a "wintry mix" turned into a blizzard. I am confident in my driving skills in general, and I have grown up driving in snow, but I truly feared for my life trying to drive a Z06 on summer tires in the snow. The same applies for a ZR1. As others have stated, why tempt fate? It's literally an accident waiting to happen. Here's a pic after I made it back to a garage that night:

That said, one of the only reasons I actually would consider a GTR is the AWD and ability to be a true 4 season sports car. I picked up a used Audi S4 cabriolet instead, and it fills my needs for a winter car, a vert, an automatic when I need it, a car I don't mind handing to a valet, a back seat for the kids, etc etc

Last edited by vette ruminator; 11-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,218 Posts

The first winter with my E55 convinced me that Michelin Sport tires are NOT for the winter. The smallest hill proved to be impossible to climb while little eco boxes passed me and honked their horn at me.

This was all cured by a set of (4) Pirelli winter tires.

With the ZR1 I would be concerned about ground clearance in addition to the lack of traction due to the size of the tires (even if it was a winter compound).

The short version, arrange for an alternative transportation at the first sign of ice or snow. It will add years to your life.

I was caught in a snow storm with my ZR-1 ('95) and it was a loong drive home doing 35-40 mph going sideways most of the time. By the time I reached my driveway I was plowing the snow. I never comprehended afterward how I was able to make it home without getting stuck or killing myself. It would make a good horror story, is that what you're looking for?

On the other hand, my 20" Pirelli Scorpion tires are doing great on my pickup and I never have a concern with them. It does great pulling my trailer with the ZR1 in it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 in snow, ice, cold temps?