Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Are My '07 Half Shafts Stronger Than The '06 Shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:22 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
Hey! Knock off that appology crap. I am learning a lot here. Thanks guys
Gary

those C5 shafts are great!! few 5000+ RPM launches on Drag Radials... not the best 60ft (1.7X my best) but it bogged at a 5000RPM and everything is ok!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM
BlackGlass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Just Broke a C5 Shaft.....

A week ago Friday at Atco. Two back-to-back 10.9 runs at 135 then broke on 3rd launch.

I went to C5 axles after breaking my stock (2006 Z06) right inner at the joint last year. The C5 broke off right where the shaft enters the spindle bearing. Next step is 300M.......at $2200 a pair!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI- for future searches about this topic.

Over the wkd I pulled my stock 06 base C6 shafts and ordered a C5 refurb'd unit from AutoZone.

It appears my base model came with the C5 axles from the factory as the hubs do not look like those posted by Z06 owners. I picked up the refurb'd unit this morning and they are IDENTICAL. A weighing on my bathroom scale shows both at 21lbs. There is a UPS store next to AutoZone so I'm going to use their scales when I go to return the one I ordered just to get a more accurate number.

A visual check would have told me this but I assumed all C6's would use the same shafts so maybe some of the C5 shafts bled over into the C6 models and I was the lucky winner of a set.

*No I did not remove the boot but based on the prior posted pictures the outside hub that holds the bearings of mine look just like the C5's.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:24 AM
texasEBz06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the scene and plan to do some drag racing in my 02 z06. So from what I'm reading I guess I should be safe launching on drag radials. I went to the track last Friday and ran 12.7 at 114 with 2.1 sixty foots on street tires. I purchased some drag radials and ready to give it another shot. Then I plan to add 125 shot and hope I don't break it.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
619grappler
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
FYI- for future searches about this topic.

Over the wkd I pulled my stock 06 base C6 shafts and ordered a C5 refurb'd unit from AutoZone.

It appears my base model came with the C5 axles from the factory as the hubs do not look like those posted by Z06 owners. I picked up the refurb'd unit this morning and they are IDENTICAL. A weighing on my bathroom scale shows both at 21lbs. There is a UPS store next to AutoZone so I'm going to use their scales when I go to return the one I ordered just to get a more accurate number.

A visual check would have told me this but I assumed all C6's would use the same shafts so maybe some of the C5 shafts bled over into the C6 models and I was the lucky winner of a set.

*No I did not remove the boot but based on the prior posted pictures the outside hub that holds the bearings of mine look just like the C5's.
Did you buy your Vette new? If not, maybe the owner before you made the upgrade.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Are My '07 Half Shafts Stronger Than The '06 Shafts?