Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM
vetchris02
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate

I have a question for all the corvette fanatics out there. I have an '08 C6 Z06 (I absolutely love to drive) and my state (TX) requires us to place a front license plate on all vehicles registered in Texas. Now normally I would comply, but this in my opinion disrupts the air flow to my engine along with overheating the engine and what not. I have read all the posts and it seems its 50/50 on whether this does in fact screw with the air flow or not. Regardless, I am looking for a license plate bracket for my car that I can mount on the front air vent(air dam) and comes up in front of the bumper but does not touch the bumper at all. I swear someone has made it because my friend has this exact removable front license plate that I just described. I have searched EVERYWHERE. I have googled this topic and have looked on numerous car companies including Eckler's and West Coast Corvettes but haven't had any luck. All their front license plate brackets sit right in front of the air vent (air damn). This is becoming a growing frustration for me and I just want something that will appease the cops that I can use on my car. But at the same time won't ruin the look of the car or cause me car issues. I don't get much time on the internet, when it works since I'm here in Iraq and just got notified we are staying longer. But I'd like to have something that I can put on my car when I eventually return from deployment so I can drive without worrying about getting a ticket for something like this.

If anyone knows of a website or somewhere that I haven't looked that might have what I'm trying to find I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks everyone.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a removeable front license plate mount. Sorry if this was hard to understand. Working on only a few hours of sleep.

Last edited by vetchris02; 11-09-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 AM
OEFastZ06
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I also live in texas and got pulled over a couple of times for not having a front License plate. I bought a removable bracket and license plate holder from Top Flight reproductions. You can find them on the web. The license plate frame is the same color as the car. It was the best one i could find. After using it for a few months, I think it looks good.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
BMcD-Z06
Racer

I got mine from Top Flight Reproductions - I think they are vendor here. You mount a plate on the underside of the bumper with double sided tape and the the bracket is held with two wingnuts. 2 minute on or off. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
bsternz06
Advanced

I don't honestly think the license plate in front of the air inlet will cause a cooling issue. That said, I live in Minnesota, not Texas.
I agree the Top Flight removable mount is the best choice as it can easily & quickly be removed for shows, etc.
By the way, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! Stay safe, and come home soon to enjoy that car!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM
bsternz06
Advanced

http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...brackets.shtml

C6 Corvette Z06/ZR1 Front License Plate Brackets

If you live in a state that requires a front license plate, this is a great solution for your C6 and C6 Z06 Corvette. The Top Flight Reproductions front license plate bracket mounts flush and follows the contour of the front bumper and does not protrude out like other after market brackets do. The brackets are available in a permanent mount (C6 only) or removable mount (C6 and C6 Z06).

The removable option allows you to remove the front bracket if you are at a car show or attending a car event in which the front plate isn't required. Installation is easy and does not require lifting the car or drilling into the front bumper. See "Bracket Diagram" and "Install Guide" for more details

NOTE: The GM C6 Body Colored License Plate Frame (sold separately) can be used with Top Flight Front License Plate Bracket to enhance the look of the front plate.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks you for your service and stay safe

I had your same concerns and my state (VA) also requires and somewhat enforces that law. I went with the Top Flight brackets and watched my temps with and with out the license plate on. I could not see any significant difference for road driving. I think this is probably due to having more than sufficient air flow through the grill.

For track use, clearly you want all of the air you can get through the grill so you just remove the license plate (two wing nuts). The Top Flight bracket works well and looks as good as possible with a front plate.

I know this does not answer you question, but hopefully eliminates your cooling fears.

Jim

Last edited by jlutherva; 11-09-2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Texas and we all know how strict DPS Troopers are. I have never even installed a front plate and have never been cited for it. From any law enforcement officer.....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I hate front plates also, we have that here in VA. I bought the ZIPS removable plate on Sat for my Z06. It was easy to install (5 MIN) and is removeable. It places the plate on the drivers side not in the middle and is low so it doesnt disrupt any airflow. Its made just for the GS, Z06, ZR1.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't buy one unless you get any problems without having it on there. Cops usually give corvettes a pass on that law
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
I wouldn't buy one unless you get any problems without having it on there. Cops usually give corvettes a pass on that law
YMMV. Depends a lot on how you are driving, and your attitude if/when stopped. I agree, rarely a reason alone to stop you.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
DAKING
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I put mine on the pass. side dash....so far so good....I don't even have a bracket to mount it anyway....they have those with a remote that u can flip it up or under but I do not think they will work on the zo6s bcause of the spoiler
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM
s200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have one of the ones that you are looking for. It happens to be for sale too. I traded my Z06 in for a Carbon Edition and this bracket will not fit with the splitter on the Carbon Edition. This one works great. Mount the bracket under the air dam and the plate holder quickly snaps in and out in an instant.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...+Front+License

PM me if you are interested in the one that I am selling. It is in brand new condition. I have more pictures too.

By the way, if you need to buy new, I think I only found two suppliers that carried it. Zip-Corvette and Southern Car parts.

Last edited by s200; 11-09-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s200
I think I have one of the ones that you are looking for. It happens to be for sale too. I traded my Z06 in for a Carbon Edition and this bracket will not fit with the splitter on the Carbon Edition. This one works great. Mount the bracket under the air dam and the plate holder quickly snaps in and out in an instant.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...+Front+License

PM me if you are interested in the one that I am selling. It is in brand new condition. I have more pictures too.

By the way, if you need to buy new, I think I only found two suppliers that carried it. Zip-Corvette and Southern Car parts.

This is the one I have its easy to install and works great.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSwank
I live in Texas and we all know how strict DPS Troopers are. I have never even installed a front plate and have never been cited for it. From any law enforcement officer.....
i have no intention of putting one on either. i'd rather risk paying a fine than have some leo regulate just to mess up my aerodynamics.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the show and go plate that folds down. I had to use some metal strapping to mount it is such a way the front splitter doesn't get in the way
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
nrt69
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how does the one from southerncarparts and zip attach to the bracket under the bumper? directions say to make sure the pins engage by feel or sight. how do the pins engae? what keeps them from falling off?

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...ate-p-486.html

any close up pics of the "pins"?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OEFastZ06
I also live in texas and got pulled over a couple of times for not having a front License plate. I bought a removable bracket and license plate holder from Top Flight reproductions. You can find them on the web. The license plate frame is the same color as the car. It was the best one i could find. After using it for a few months, I think it looks good.
A bit off topic but can you post a picture of your car. It looks sick and that color looks cool.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by BMcD-Z06
I got mine from Top Flight Reproductions - I think they are vendor here. You mount a plate on the underside of the bumper with double sided tape and the the bracket is held with two wingnuts. 2 minute on or off. Good luck.
me too. Dont even see it anymore. Engine temps remained the same.

Clif
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

ZIP bracket is awesome. Bolts with factory locations under the splitter. And slides in and pins click in, take literally 10 seconds. And doesn't block the middle of the air flow to the radiator:

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate

Quick Reply: [Z06] Front license plate