Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Got a Halltech Super Bee II MF107R and a Tune Today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
JG08Z06
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade

Greetings to all! Coordinating w/Brian at Reckart for installation of the Livernois Motorsports Stage 2 LS7 Camshaft package on my 08 Z06. By no means am I mechanically inclined, never have been-never will be however Brian has guided me through the decision process. As for execution and explanation of tune/dyno, I will give Brian the lead.

Hope to update again soon....Jay
Old 11-06-2011, 01:08 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good gains Larry. It wont be long and you'll want me to install a cam/springs and port you intake and throttle body..
Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks Jim,

I appreicate all that info and I know these bad boy Zs will pull A LOT of timing and loose signficant power in stock trim/tune, and looks like a thermostat will be in my future.

What do you mean in your last sentence when you say "make sure your tuner can do a clean pull "without customer cue pressure."?

Does that mean not having the customer asking him a bunch of questions and distracting him when he is the middle of dyno sessions?

Also, what is the name of your Killer Bee and Beehive that you were selling 2 years ago for the C6 Z as that is the one I have. Is it simply called the Killer Bee and Beehive (I believe)?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-06-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
BigMike NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those gains are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Thanks Jim,

I appreicate all that info and I know these bad boy Zs will pull A LOT of timing and loose signficant power in stock trim/tune, and looks like a thermostat will be in my future.

What do you mean in your last sentence when you say "make sure your tuner can do a clean pull "without customer cue pressure."?

Does that mean not having the customer asking him a bunch of questions and distracting him when he is the middle of dyno sessions?

Also, what is the name of your Killer Bee and Beehive that you were selling 2 years ago for the C6 Z as that is the one I have. Is it simply called the Killer Bee and Beehive (I believe)?
No. Cue pressure as in dyno days, where each customer gets an allotted run or two. That kind of pressure does not allow cool down time between runs.

The tuner needs to spend a few hours or so, dedicated to your car, as in step tuning. They will attempt better timing, air fuel mix and find the sweet spot for your car. That costs more dyno time, but a tuner like Brian will take the time to explain everything and work on best power results for your specific application.

Many of our Halltech shops take this approach. Brian is in the spotlight right now, and deservedly so.

This was a Super Bee MF107R not a Killer Bee II. The owner, just mixed the two in his title.

So far, the Killer Bee II is the 1/4 mile bolt on champ, and the Super Bee MF107R the dyno king. That may soon change. Both use exactly the same monster K&N we designed.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 11-06-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

THanks Jim, yeah if I get it dyno tuned it will done the right way with the tuner spending several hours with the car on the dyno and road.

What is the name of your Killer Bee and Beehive that you were selling 2 years ago for the C6 Z as that is the one I have. Is it simply called the Killer Bee and Beehive (I believe)? This would have been the first Killer Bee and Beehive that you sold for C6 Zs (is that the Killer Bee II or just Killer Bee and Beehive)?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

THanks Jim, yeah if I get it dyno tuned it will done the right way with the tuner spending several hours with the car on the dyno and road.

What is the name of your Killer Bee and Beehive that you were selling 2 years ago for the C6 Z as that is the one I have. Is it simply called the Killer Bee and Beehive (I believe)? This would have been the first Killer Bee and Beehive that you sold for C6 Zs (is that the Killer Bee II or just Killer Bee and Beehive)?
email me with a pic. It is likely the Killer Bee II
Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Brian@RPT
What is interesting about the Dynapack from my experience is:

1) I dynoed 2 Corvette Grand Sport A6's and both dynoed within 1 hp of each other. One was 370 rwhp and the other was 371 rwhp. A6's loose ~ 65 rwhp and that is spot on.
2) I dynoed a Corvette C5 Z06 that was H/C. It dyoned 494 rwhp by the shop that installed the parts. I dynoed it on my dyno and put down 495 rwhp. Within 1 horsepower is really good.
3) I dynoed my Corvette LS3 on a Dynojet 224x and put down 392 rwhp. Once I purchased the dyno, I dynoed my Corvette and it put down 394 rwhp.
4) Dyoned a 2009 G8GT and it put down 294 rwhp and is right where it should be.
5) Dynoed a 2010 Camaro SS LS3 and it put down 368 rwhp is stock trim. Manuals loose ~ 55 rwhp.

Those are a few examples of cars that I have experience with and tire slippage is a non issue.
Our 2010 Camaro did 368 RWHP on a SuperFlow dyno. 383 RWHP with our Yellow Jacket intake, and no tuning. The SuperFlow actually reads conservatively compared with many DynoJets, so the Dynapack is spot on with the best dynos out there.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Ok, so this was not on pump gas?

How much octane is E10 gas (100)?

Still very impressive gains no doubt.
Not sure if this was answered. E10 is the fuel available in all pumps now. 10% ethanol/ 90% gasoline.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Halltech
email me with a pic. It is likely the Killer Bee II
Jim,

I don't think its the Killer Bee II, did you offer one for C6 Zs, Killer Bee and Beehive, b.f the Killer Bee II, and if yes, please let me know what it was called.

Thank you sir!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
MIKE LAZENBY
Advanced

Installed the MF103 on my 2007 Z06 and the idle is smooth as glass @ 600rpm,the car is more responsive,and my in town fuel mileage has been the best since I've had the car,a great product that does what it's supposed to do.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have a dozen or so that have shown +33 to +34 RWHP with the Super Bee and tuning. Brian must have the tuning part of it dialed in.
The bigger the demand at the motor, the more power you will see from our Super Bee MF103 or 107R.

This dyno has actually eclipsed even the Super Bee CF112 numbers we have seen. Carbon fiber has no real advantage over plastic other than a lb or so in weight loss.

Congratulations.
Don't forget that the carbon fiber looks really nice too.

HUGE! Wow to that dyno.

This is the Super Bee MF107R not the Killer Bee II. The Super Bee shows bigger numbers on the dyno than the Killer Bee II with proper tuning, as you can see.

The Beehive on the drivers side needs to be pushed inward to clear the radiator pin holding it out.

Wow.
Sorry for the confusion. I originally bought a used Killer Bee II with no behive. By the time I looked into adding a new beehive, it was close to the cost of the Super Bee (MF107). After reading about the advantages of moving the MAF forward and insulating it from the engine compartment heat, I decided that I wanted the MF107. I sold the KB II to another forum member without ever installing it.

Thanks for the heads up on the beehive. I'll fix it as soon as I get home.

Originally Posted by JG08Z06
Greetings to all! Coordinating w/Brian at Reckart for installation of the Livernois Motorsports Stage 2 LS7 Camshaft package on my 08 Z06. By no means am I mechanically inclined, never have been-never will be however Brian has guided me through the decision process. As for execution and explanation of tune/dyno, I will give Brian the lead.

Hope to update again soon....Jay
Brian will take care of you. He is very detail oriented.

Originally Posted by chriswtx
good gains Larry. It wont be long and you'll want me to install a cam/springs and port you intake and throttle body..
Never say never, but I'm happy with the power right now.

Thanks Jim,

Best of luck with your tune Jimmy.

Originally Posted by BigMike NY
Those gains are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Big Mike!

Originally Posted by MIKE LAZENBY
Installed the MF103 on my 2007 Z06 and the idle is smooth as glass @ 600rpm,the car is more responsive,and my in town fuel mileage has been the best since I've had the car,a great product that does what it's supposed to do.
I'm very impressed with the quality and functionality of the intake.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

realistically how much of a gain would you see from changing from a gen 1 killer bee to the super bee?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
realistically how much of a gain would you see from changing from a gen 1 killer bee to the super bee?
Truth: Here was one dyno done comparing the two. +7 RWHP. The Super Bee is the only Halltech intake that was made specifically for the 102mm TBs and the FAST 102.

Obviously, this car was tuned. My Jason at Lucky's Speed. We have dozens of dynos showing a +33 to +34 RWHP gain with the Super Bee and tuning where the unit was carbon fiber. Our SBCF112, had to have tuning due to the larger inlet at the MAF read.

This dyno is the first done with our tuner's version of the Super Bee in plastic. It has 107mm read area vs. the 1st Gen Killer Bee 98mm.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

What other mods did that car have? I'm sure it'd help on a car with that much power just curious on an intake/tune only Z
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
What other mods did that car have? I'm sure it'd help on a car with that much power just curious on an intake/tune only Z
I've only owned the car since mid September. I bought it used with just over 20K miles on it from a CarMax dealership. To my knowledge, it was bone stock prior to these upgrades.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cozmo
I've only owned the car since mid September. I bought it used with just over 20K miles on it from a CarMax dealership. To my knowledge, it was bone stock prior to these upgrades.
sorry I meant to quote halltech

Get notified of new replies

To Got a Halltech Super Bee II MF107R and a Tune Today!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jim, I have some top LS7 tuners in the Chicago area who usually get 30rwhp with cai a tune, and one likes to run a lower thermostat, which I am inclined to do. Can I get your thoughts on running a cooler t stat given my minimal mods and with a tune of course. Thank you Jim!!
I am running the Halltech Super Bee (MF102?) carbon version which looks just killer, and feels pounds lighter than the stock intake. I also changed out to a 160 degree thermo, but the thermo in of itself, will not be much of a help. I did also add two bottles of Redline waterwetter, which may or may not help a bit. The fans need to come on earlier to take advantage of the tstat, and you can do this via a tune or take another approach.

Since I recently bought a brand new leftover '10 Z, I have the full warranty left on the car which makes it very difficult for me right now to cross over that huge line in the sand and do a tune which would void my powertrain warranty. Sooo, I left the ecm alone and installed a manual fan override system which I control via a rocker switch located where the cig lighter used to be. When I see the water temps at 210, I activate the manual system which very quickly gets temps back under 200.

Given the way the Halltech is designed to keep IATs lower, plus my manual fan override, I believe that I can offset much of the factory predisposition to quickly pull timing. At least I THINK, I am doing this!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
I am running the Halltech Super Bee (MF102?) carbon version which looks just killer, and feels pounds lighter than the stock intake. I also changed out to a 160 degree thermo, but the thermo in of itself, will not be much of a help. I did also add two bottles of Redline waterwetter, which may or may not help a bit. The fans need to come on earlier to take advantage of the tstat, and you can do this via a tune or take another approach.

Since I recently bought a brand new leftover '10 Z, I have the full warranty left on the car which makes it very difficult for me right now to cross over that huge line in the sand and do a tune which would void my powertrain warranty. Sooo, I left the ecm alone and installed a manual fan override system which I control via a rocker switch located where the cig lighter used to be. When I see the water temps at 210, I activate the manual system which very quickly gets temps back under 200.

Given the way the Halltech is designed to keep IATs lower, plus my manual fan override, I believe that I can offset much of the factory predisposition to quickly pull timing. At least I THINK, I am doing this!
Super Bee CF102 for carbon fiber....our factory pre-tuned version.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Gary breaks all records with the Super Bee MF107R

60'.............1.382
330'...........4.173
660'...........6.470
660’ mph...107.39
1000'..........8.447
1320'..........10.100
1320’ mph…138.31

BOLT ONS ONLY
This car, as most of you already know, just took back the bolt on only record. We sent him the same Super Bee MF107R tuner version (same as dynoed here) that was installed on this Z06 for big dyno numbers. His previous 10.16 record was with the Killer Bee II onboard.

Translation? Size matters and big numbers on the dyno can break track records as well.

Sorry to highjack your thread, but this is for those that doubt the numbers.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 11-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Got a Halltech Super Bee II MF107R and a Tune Today!