Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch pedal making 'clicking' noise at release

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Royce Яosé
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal making 'clicking' noise at release

hi everybody. I am new to the forums. I own a black 07, and I recently started having a really anoying clicking noise after i release the clutch when in gear. (any gear, right after release of clutch and in midst of engaging the acceleration.)

I took it to chevy, theey found that one of the springs on my clutch pedal had broke, they replaced that, and said it was ok. I got thee car back, and took it off the lot, At first i thought it was OK, but as soon as i got to the first light, I put it in first, disengage the clutch and * CLICK* (sometimes it only clicks once, but sometimes it clicks twice, sort of like a mouse click LOL). Its more anoying than anything else.

Anyway, anyone had this problem before? any advice on what it is, since the "Vette Guys" and "Professional Mechanics" at chevy couldnt figure it out, Im wondering if anyone could pin point the problem heere, so i could just take it to them and not have to worry about the labor time they are going to take to "figure'' it out.

Still have powertrain warranty.

THANK YOU MUCH APPRICIATED.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 AM
peterpiper
Pro

You could try removing the clutch spring to see if that's the culprit. (the spring helps you "push" the pedal down) To remove it, it is best to push the pedal to the floor to release the tension.

Here are a couple pix to help you:
http://www.augustdigital.com/corvette/spring

There is basically a "U" shaped holder on the pedal arm for the spring. Push the clutch pedal, and lift the spring off the plastic clip that holds the spring.. you'll be surprised at how easy it is to remove. Squeeze the spring out of the two walls and remove. Please note that the spring will be greasy (or should be).

Don't know if the spring is the problem, but removing it might help you determine if the noise source is the spring.

BTW... on my 07, my spring broke Sept 2010. I thought I needed a new clutch until the spring finally broke, and half was rolling around the floor. The pix are after the new spring was installed.

-pp
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Royce Яosé
5th Gear

Well mine was layin there on the floor also lol, So i dont think its the spring, but maybe the time that it spent layin there, it might have done some damage while not connected??? (idk how long it had been there--for i do not drive the car daily its just a once a month or so cruise :-( .. and I noticed absolutely nothing wrong, until the clicking started)

As you guys can probably already tell I'm retarded and I dont have the abilities to work on my own car, so I let chevy handle it.. : O

I do not know why they disregarded this manner in such way. I had a few things done after puttin on few hundred miles in the summer, before I put it in storage. (fluids, filters, the clutch pedal spring & noise, full inspction etc).

They did everything--excpt the ''clicking'' noise. So the lady called me after they think there finishd and at first said they dont know where the clicking is coming it might be the axle were not sure i dont know if u want us to continue workin on it? and than she tried to blame it on my 345 30 19's LMAO and said they might be too wide, but I just put those on 2 days before I took it to the shop and its been clickin for a few weeks now. WOW!!! its like as if she just wantd me to reply with a ''oh jus forget about it, cus i only paid 87K for this car, and I dont mind any noises it makes, bad enough i gotta hear thee ****ing faulty valves you guys couldnt correctly forge, but its OK lady, U can just give me my car back AS is, after i pay for the labor"... :| back to reality, I told her I need my car the way it was when i rode it off the lot, she said OK, i will let him know. At the end of the day they called me and said they fixed it. YEAH RIGHT!!!! (BUUUUTT, luckily they guaranteed the work 12 months, so I'm going back there weather someone helps me here or not, I just want to know what it is myself, so I can just go up there and tell them the buisness LOL)

Worst of all, she tries to compliment me about it "IDK what the clicking noise is though, but if its not causing any problems u shouldnt worry its a nice car you have there"...

:|

SOMEONE PLEASE HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I had the same thing - a click on the final release (almost all the way out) of my clutch pedal. Dealer looked at it- an lubed the heck out the the spring.

Still made the noise.

I spent about an hour jammed under the dash, and ultimately found the culprit.

The switch that tells whether or not the clutch is engaged was squeaking. I put some teflon spray lube on it and the problem has been gone for over a year now.

I do not have pics- sorry! I ain't going back under there unless it starts squeaking again!

Steve
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 AM
peterpiper
Pro

dstiger makes an interesting point.... the switch. You should hear the noise with only a 1/2 inch of the start of the clutch travel.

if not, does it always happen during acceleration? Could it be the spring on the gas pedal? does the noise happen with the engine off and only the clutch is pressed? how about only pressing the accelerator (engine off).
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 532 Posts

My Z has the exact same problem!! I dont think its the switch tho, as i hear it predominantly only when the windows are down.. It clicks right when the cluth engages and when it disengages. That damn click is driving me crazy!

Edit* actually, i know its not the switch on mine because if i put it in neutral and push the pedal it does not click. Only does it when there is a load on the drivetrain in gear.

Last edited by ChevyChad; 10-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Royce Яosé
5th Gear

dstiger- im sorry, but im not really understanding what switch? excuse my ignorance lol if its possible to be a little more elaborate I would appriciate it?

peter, car only does it when it is on. When in neutral, and i engage the clutch and let go, it dosnt make the noise. When in neutral and I engage thee gas pedal and disengage, it dosnt make the noise. Only when i start to take off???

For example. i press the clutch, put it in first, let the clutch disengage to where it starts to go BARELY and before i even get to really press the gas *CLICK* (sometimes CLICK,CLICK LOL)... AND IT DOES THIS IN EVERY GEAR, RIght after i shift. it doesnt just randomly happen.

ChevyChad- YEES!!! xactly!!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Royce Яosé
5th Gear

sorry Dstiger- I jus seen the sswitch, theres no way its the switch. Car only doees it when clutch is FULLY DISENGAGED and it starts to take off. No gas pedal needed in order to hear noise.

its something to do with the gear loading aftr the clutch. clutch is fine alone when parked in position.

so basically im guessin this is covered in the powertrain LOL

Last edited by Royce Яosé; 10-28-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 AM
peterpiper
Pro

I'm stumped. Good description, though. I Don't have a stock clutch, but I'll see if I can hear anything in mine this weekend. -pp
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Stock clutch here for me... It almost sounds like it might have something to do with the linkage. On my car it sounds like the noise is coming from underneath the car. Its definitely an outside sound. Its times like this that i really wish i had a lift of my own to investigate such problems.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Royce Яosé
5th Gear

^yep same here, its something underneath. this would be really anoying to fix if you dont know where to start, even if you had a lift, bcause my problem only occurs once in gear and im moving. So you would have to do one thing, than hope its that and go take it for a test drive, than if its not, back to the lift LOL.

anyway, since no one seems to know, I will be taking my car up to chevy after the weekeend to further investigate and i will stay in touch to let you guys know who are having the same problem

BTW, did anyone else have a mechanic or dealer look at theirs for the cause? I can se how some people wouldnt really be bothered with it, or if you ridee around with AC/heat all the time windows up, you wouldnt notice (specially with music playing).
Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

From the later descriptions above it sounds like you are describing the noise made by the rear axle splines. Check your axle nuts first (easy fix - pop rear hub caps and torque the 33-34mm nut on each side to around 140 ft/lb (original torque was 118, but chevy changed to 160 with locktite -I've had no problems at 140 and no locktite)). If you are still getting the clicking at start (usually more noticeable with minimal gas) - people have pulled the axles and used heavy grease to lube the splines.

Remember - sounds can really travel in cars and sound like they are coming from far away from the problem. The 2002 Chevy Avalanches had an issue discussed on their forum for a while about a roof squeak - turned out to be a glove box piece of plastic that made a squeak that people swore was in the roof.

Cheers - Jim
Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
CH 3 NO 2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carnac
From the later descriptions above it sounds like you are describing the noise made by the rear axle splines. Check your axle nuts first (easy fix - pop rear hub caps and torque the 33-34mm nut on each side to around 140 ft/lb (original torque was 118, but chevy changed to 160 with locktite -I've had no problems at 140 and no locktite)). If you are still getting the clicking at start (usually more noticeable with minimal gas) - people have pulled the axles and used heavy grease to lube the splines.

Remember - sounds can really travel in cars and sound like they are coming from far away from the problem. The 2002 Chevy Avalanches had an issue discussed on their forum for a while about a roof squeak - turned out to be a glove box piece of plastic that made a squeak that people swore was in the roof.

Cheers - Jim
I was just getting ready to post this same solution. Back when I owned a 2000 Z71 I would get a "CLICK" sound whenever I took off from a stop. It was VERY annoying, and to be honest made me a little paranoid.
Anyway, I was told it happened a lot to the Chevy trucks and was normal, not to worry about it, I ended up getting rid of it because the only way to get rid of the click was to turn up the radio.

Last edited by CH 3 NO 2; 10-29-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: IT not I
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

So Royce Яosé, did you ever find the root problem?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Welp, since my computer is now throwing the infamous P0420 code and I have to take my Z into the dealer anyway, I am going to have them take a look at the clicking noise from the clutch while its there. My appointment is for tomorrow, so hopefully I will have something to report back then...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

ChevyChad,
Let us know what you find out from the mechanic. Thanks.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carnac

Cheers - Jim
Did Chevy send out notification to owners, or is this a TSB, on the axle nut torque?

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal making 'clicking' noise at release

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Dealer just called me. They say that the axle bolts are backing out he said that is where the clicking noise is coming from. They are replacing them under warranty. Hopefully they will be done today. Glad I got it in before one of the axles broke!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Seems odd then that you thought the clicking noise was coming from the clutch.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

I thought it had something to do with the clutch because every time i heard the noise was right as the clutch would engage (or disengage in some cases). I didnt think the noise was necissarily coming from the clutch, all I could tell as far as where the noise was coming from was that it was somewhere underneath the car. As someone said earlier, its hard to distinguish where an external noise is originating...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch pedal making 'clicking' noise at release