Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the hood on my 2010 ZR1 (new from dealer 2 months ago) is delaminating. I found this on the 2nd day of owning the car while cleaning the hood. That area has now spread, where the top painted surface is separating from the CF inner section.

Long story short, I went back to the dealer and they in turn had to wait for the local GM rep to look at it. Gm wants to replace the hood which will involve painting that as well as the front fenders to "blend" it in.

The question is, how would you feel if you had to do this to your new ZR1 and I get the bad feeling that this will in some way "devalue" my new car, thinking about factory paint.

What would everyone else do, or for that matter do I even have a choice?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

I assume you have a black (non-metallic) car based on your photo. I would NOT blend or touch the fenders under any circumstances. Have them paint the hood only, off the car of course.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
I assume you have a black (non-metallic) car based on your photo. I would NOT blend or touch the fenders under any circumstances. Have them paint the hood only, off the car of course.
Sorry, I should have stated that my ZR1 is Blade Silver Metallic.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 PM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m3corvette
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the hood on my 2010 ZR1 (new from dealer 2 months ago) is delaminating. I found this on the 2nd day of owning the car while cleaning the hood. That area has now spread, where the top painted surface is separating from the CF inner section.

Long story short, I went back to the dealer and they in turn had to wait for the local GM rep to look at it. Gm wants to replace the hood which will involve painting that as well as the front fenders to "blend" it in.

The question is, how would you feel if you had to do this to your new ZR1 and I get the bad feeling that this will in some way "devalue" my new car, thinking about factory paint.

What would everyone else do, or for that matter do I even have a choice?

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT PAINT. just for the simple reason that if you ever have to trade in or sell, it will be hard for anyone to believe it was not painted due to an accident. I would never touch a ZR1 or any high performance car that has ever been painted regardless of the circumstance
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

That's as tough one. Damn if you do it, damn if you don't.

How bad is the separation? Is there a chance of gluing it together without replacing it?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Is their any way you could post pics of this? I may have a little issue myself with the front end on the corner that meets the hood and headlight coming up.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by timvette7
Is their any way you could post pics of this? I may have a little issue myself with the front end on the corner that meets the hood and headlight coming up.
Tim, I wish I could, but you can't see anything just hear it. If you put light pressure on the hood as when you are cleaning with a cloth, you can hear a "popping" noise as the 2 sections of the hood stick together again and release. It was only on one side and 4" to 5" long at first, but now both sides of the hood and 12" to 14" long now.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
That's as tough one. Damn if you do it, damn if you don't.

How bad is the separation? Is there a chance of gluing it together without replacing it?
You hit the nail on the head, that's exactly how I feel, damned either way.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by m3corvette
Tim, I wish I could, but you can't see anything just hear it. If you put light pressure on the hood as when you are cleaning with a cloth, you can hear a "popping" noise as the 2 sections of the hood stick together again and release. It was only on one side and 4" to 5" long at first, but now both sides of the hood and 12" to 14" long now.
Crap! I noticed the same thing when I did my first wash on my Carbon Z06 which has almost the same hood. Just like you I heard a weird popping sound when washing/rubbing the sponge over the front driver side of the hood and was not really sure what it was. Never went away and now seems to happen (when I wash or wipe it down with quick detail/microfiber towel) on most of the front side of the hood. Now I guess I know what it is lol! I'll have to hit up the dealership and see what they say. My car is IO, hopefully it will not require a fender repaint too! Just put a clear bra over the entire hood and fenders a month ago also. If they have to replace the hood under warranty I wonder if they will replace that or if I'm just SOL?

Last edited by Werks; 09-20-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyKing
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT PAINT. just for the simple reason that if you ever have to trade in or sell, it will be hard for anyone to believe it was not painted due to an accident. I would never touch a ZR1 or any high performance car that has ever been painted regardless of the circumstance
That just seems silly to me. Stuff happens and just because it's a $100k doesn't mean a few won't have a silly defect like the OP's.

I wouldn't think twice about having the dealer replace the hood and repaint, especially a car that new. I mean, are you really considering leaving it be and/or opting to squeeze some super glue in there and hope it works?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
If they have to replace the hood under warranty I wonder if they will replace that or if I'm just SOL?
That shouldn't even be a question of will they. They absolutely should without a doubt!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
tws
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

roofs now hoods! whats next?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the hoods delivered to the the factory already painted? (I may have this confused with the Z06 roofs that are delivered that way)

If this is so, all that's necessary is to remove the defective one and install the new one. If this is not the case then I would find a shop that can match the paint without having to blend.

I hope everything turns out ok either way...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
That just seems silly to me. Stuff happens and just because it's a $100k doesn't mean a few won't have a silly defect like the OP's.

I wouldn't think twice about having the dealer replace the hood and repaint, especially a car that new. I mean, are you really considering leaving it be and/or opting to squeeze some super glue in there and hope it works?
For something that minor?....My statement stands. You are entitled to your opinion
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Beechdoctor
Racer

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the hoods delivered to the the factory already painted? (I may have this confused with the Z06 roofs that are delivered that way)

If this is so, all that's necessary is to remove the defective one and install the new one. If this is not the case then I would find a shop that can match the paint without having to blend.

This is correct...the ZR1 hoods are not painted in Bowling Green....learned this first hand on my own builders tour. I was told this was due to the S/C hood window needing to be installed after paint and GM was not equipped to do that procedure.

I would be surprised if GM would willingly supply a painted hood, but I would think a GM rep could part the waters to do this if you take a hard stand about the matter. Otherwise, I agree with most posters...do not paint any other body panels. It can be matched well enough by a true expert.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct. OEM hood not painted the same time as the car. In fact, with certain colors, they do not match too well when new - a weak point on the car. In fact the paint on my hood is better than the rest of the car Get a new hood and paint the hood only. Keep receipt and info. Unless you plan to store the car in a time capsule and hope for appreciation, can not imagine that would hurt value. I agree if you paint the fenders as well, may raise questions with a buyer down the road.

I am very picky but this is one I would not obsess on.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06

The new hood is at the dealer waiting for me to bring the car in and the new hood came in unpainted.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Werks
Crap! I noticed the same thing when I did my first wash on my Carbon Z06 which has almost the same hood. Just like you I heard a weird popping sound when washing/rubbing the sponge over the front driver side of the hood and was not really sure what it was. Never went away and now seems to happen (when I wash or wipe it down with quick detail/microfiber towel) on most of the front side of the hood. Now I guess I know what it is lol! I'll have to hit up the dealership and see what they say. My car is IO, hopefully it will not require a fender repaint too! Just put a clear bra over the entire hood and fenders a month ago also. If they have to replace the hood under warranty I wonder if they will replace that or if I'm just SOL?
Werks, that's exactly what happened to mine, started in a small area on the drivers side and now spread to most of the front section of the hood.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by howl
Correct. OEM hood not painted the same time as the car. In fact, with certain colors, they do not match too well when new - a weak point on the car. In fact the paint on my hood is better than the rest of the car Get a new hood and paint the hood only. Keep receipt and info. Unless you plan to store the car in a time capsule and hope for appreciation, can not imagine that would hurt value. I agree if you paint the fenders as well, may raise questions with a buyer down the road.

I am very picky but this is one I would not obsess on.
Do this.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tws
roofs now hoods! whats next?
The roofs were on the Z06. The CF hood is unique to the ZR1 and Z07. I think GM is trying to save money on glue.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?