Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
Crap! I noticed the same thing when I did my first wash on my Carbon Z06 which has almost the same hood. Just like you I heard a weird popping sound when washing/rubbing the sponge over the front driver side of the hood and was not really sure what it was. Never went away and now seems to happen (when I wash or wipe it down with quick detail/microfiber towel) on most of the front side of the hood. Now I guess I know what it is lol! I'll have to hit up the dealership and see what they say. My car is IO, hopefully it will not require a fender repaint too! Just put a clear bra over the entire hood and fenders a month ago also. If they have to replace the hood under warranty I wonder if they will replace that or if I'm just SOL?
Nothing a few well placed self-tapping screws won't fix. I would use stainless steel ones to complement the cf.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

Just curious.Does anyone NOT have that popping sound when wiping the hood down with a rag?I just assumed this is normal/acceptable.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

I have the popping sound since new. I'll let you know if the hood flies off the car.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Replace the hood
Keep all paperwork
Demand the hood be painted off the car
Talk with the body shop
The color can be tinted to match vs blending into the fenders (worst thing they can do - ruin the OE finish)
I assume the shop will be shooting waterborne
Tinting and color match is better with water vs solvent.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Emmett
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep,mine too! Emmett
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

You may be in luck, if you want to call it that. Blade silver is one of the most difficult paints to color match - that's the bad news. The good news is that most of the hoods don't match from the factory.

And the hood doesn't appear to be the only victim. Take a close look at all the body parts for color matching, especially on an overcast day.

So, it's likely that your newly painted hood could be just as bad as it was when it came from the factory, or it could match more closely.

Good luck.......
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Just curious.Does anyone NOT have that popping sound when wiping the hood down with a rag?I just assumed this is normal/acceptable.
I've never noticed it but then again I have earbuds in listening to music when I wash. I will listen today when I wash it.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
akwonderboy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off color hood

at least now i know why the hood on my white zr1 doesn't match my fenders.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
That just seems silly to me. Stuff happens and just because it's a $100k doesn't mean a few won't have a silly defect like the OP's.

It's precisely BECAUSE it cost $100+ large it must be made right, at Chevrolet's expense. A no brainer.

I wouldn't think twice about having the dealer replace the hood and repaint, especially a car that new. I mean, are you really considering leaving it be and/or opting to squeeze some super glue in there and hope it works?
It just ain't right.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That just seems silly to me. Stuff happens and just because it's a $100k doesn't mean a few won't have a silly defect like the OP's.

I wouldn't think twice about having the dealer replace the hood and repaint, especially a car that new. I mean, are you really considering leaving it be and/or opting to squeeze some super glue in there and hope it works?
IMHO it is a no brainer because the option is do nothing and let it keep getting worse. As far as the fenders, I will leave that up to you. I am always in the camp of not having the dealers do anything to my car but you are in the no choice side of things. BTW, as far as selling the car, you will have a lot of proof on this so that potential buyers should be satisfied. Good luck and let us know what you are going to do.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Emmett
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It not only occurs while wiping the hood but also on the fenders and front bumper,I just thought it was normal .Now you have me worried,what should I be looking for? Emmett
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This may not be possible, but on a 120k car I would think GM would make an exception -- all the parts of the car are painted off the car at the factory. Couldn't they just get you a factory painted hood? Considering they only make a few of these cars a year, and they come from bowling green, I'd go so far as to show up at BG and ask.

Are you listening GM?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Not to add insult to injury here, but metallic silvers are the toughest colors to match. If it were me, I would tell the dealer to go ahead and paint the hood only and then examine it carefully with different lighting conditions, to make certain I am 100% satisfied.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
This may not be possible, but on a 120k car I would think GM would make an exception -- all the parts of the car are painted off the car at the factory. Couldn't they just get you a factory painted hood? Considering they only make a few of these cars a year, and they come from bowling green, I'd go so far as to show up at BG and ask.

Are you listening GM?
The hood is delivered to BG already painted. The paint is applied before the window is glued in, then off to the plant for assembly.(I believe they're made by a company based in Vermont)

If the dealer is going to paint it, they will have to mask the window. If this were the preferred way to manufacture the hood then the vendor would do it that way but they don't. There's a crevice that surrounds the hood window accessible from the top, that would make the paint process much more difficult do do the job right and keep over spray out.

When you look at the hood from the back, you really don't want to see excess paint that filtered down into this cavity.

I would make a real strong effort to get one shipped to the dealer already painted, just like they're delivered to BG. I'd really like to hear GM's argument as to why this can't be done???...

There's no reason that I can think of except cost, and that's certainly not a good enough reason "for me" after I spent $100K +-
Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by m3corvette
Tim, I wish I could, but you can't see anything just hear it. If you put light pressure on the hood as when you are cleaning with a cloth, you can hear a "popping" noise as the 2 sections of the hood stick together again and release. It was only on one side and 4" to 5" long at first, but now both sides of the hood and 12" to 14" long now.
Mine does the exact same thing. I sent back one replacment hood already. waiting for the second one to arive. The quality in the newer hoods are nothing like my 09 was.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 09.Corvette.ZR1
Mine does the exact same thing. I sent back one replacment hood already. waiting for the second one to arive. The quality in the newer hoods are nothing like my 09 was.
Does that mean the new hoods are of lesser quality - just trying to be clear on this?

What is wrong with the new hood(s) that they have to go back?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Does that mean the new hoods are of lesser quality - just trying to be clear on this?

What is wrong with the new hood(s) that they have to go back?
First thing I noticed on my 2011 was the carbon Fiber was extremely poor quality on the underside. (Pits, discoloration and dull spots). After washing the car for the first time I noticed the hood was weak. m3corvette described it perfect. "If you put light pressure on the hood as when you are cleaning with a cloth, you can hear a "popping" noise as the 2 sections of the hood stick together again and release. It was only on one side and 4" to 5" long at first, but now both sides of the hood and 12" to 14" long now".

The first hood recieved by the dealer was worse than the one I currently have. The craftmanship of the CF was poor at best. The dealer even made the remark that it look used. If this carbon fiber was exposed like the roof I would not have purchased the car. I'll take some pics and post when I have time.

FYI if you do get your hood replaced it doesn't come with the window installed. You have to request a new Window also.

Last edited by Livinlife; 09-22-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
larsofvt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The popping sound on the hood is NOT a structural defect (it is not delamination).

GM using MORE glue would only unleash a RASH of bigger problems.

The underside of the hood was never intended to be a class A surface. That is why it is not coated with anything.

Originally Posted by range96
The roofs were on the Z06. The CF hood is unique to the ZR1 and Z07. I think GM is trying to save money on glue.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by larsofvt
The popping sound on the hood is NOT a structural defect (it is not delamination).

GM using MORE glue would only unleash a RASH of bigger problems.

The underside of the hood was never intended to be a class A surface. That is why it is not coated with anything.
Not sure where the above came from, but I was more than curious about my own 09 ZR1. Just went out to the garage to inspect the finish and method of attachment between the two panels.

The finish on the CF on the underside of the hood is the same as that of the roof - perfect in every way.

As for the bonding, it appears the two pieces are glued and that the gluing process has failed on some of the hoods. No popping or creaking here.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on my 2010
Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Not sure where the above came from, but I was more than curious about my own 09 ZR1. Just went out to the garage to inspect the finish and method of attachment between the two panels.

The finish on the CF on the underside of the hood is the same as that of the roof - perfect in every way.

As for the bonding, it appears the two pieces are glued and that the gluing process has failed on some of the hoods. No popping or creaking here.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Paint, or not to paint, that is the question?