Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Question for ZR1 owners ( Engine starting )

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To buy a new car like this and not even have them give you a full tank of gas, gives me a big clue as to how they treat their customers and cars. I doubt your battery was anywhere near charged where it was suppose to be. Congrats on the new car, but if their is any little thing not right with it for a while, I would take it to them a get it documented. I hope you did a really good inspection of the fit and finish before you took it.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly100
To buy a new car like this and not even have them give you a full tank of gas, gives me a big clue as to how they treat their customers and cars. I doubt your battery was anywhere near charged where it was suppose to be. Congrats on the new car, but if their is any little thing not right with it for a while, I would take it to them a get it documented. I hope you did a really good inspection of the fit and finish before you took it.

It's funny that you say this because I bought the car from out of state 750 miles away and only looked at it in pictures. It was delivered to me in a enclosed trailer after I signed the papers. I figured everything would be fine because the car had 3 miles on it but I was wrong. The car had scratches around the trunk opening and they got their some knucklehead would put the battery tender on it and wasn't careful with the cord and probably just jerked it out. Also Im sure he had rings on too. Anyway, I think they also waxed it for I have found white residue on the car. Let me tell you dealerships can really screw a car up. The dealer did say they would pay to fix the scratches but it is heartbreaking to even have to deal with it. As far as the gas not being filled up I am kinda glad because someone would have to drive it to the gas station and probably gave it a good ringing out. I am pleased with my car overall but it is sad to see unnecessary crap like this happen.

Tim
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly100
The town where we bought ours didn't have 93 Octane so they put 5 gallons of 91 in it and gave us $75 which was the "correct thing for them to do" ... we made it our 100 miles home and filled with 93.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
The town where we bought ours didn't have 93 Octane so they put 5 gallons of 91 in it and gave us $75 which was the "correct thing for them to do" ... we made it our 100 miles home and filled with 93.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM
DYNAMIC RON
Instructor

The fuel pump needs time to build pressure after sitting.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by barduch
Early 2010 ZR1 #199 that sat at the dealer until May of '10. So, I am guessing about nine months at the dealership. Engine has always started instantaneously cold or warm. No cranking to speak of. The only problem that I have had, and I think it is related to sitting so long at the dealer, is the battery. If I allow it to sit for more than a week it doesn't even have enough juice to open the door. Nothing even remotely instantaneous when that happens. I have taken it to my local Chevy dealer and they put it on a charger/tester for a little over an hour and then get a computer generated readout that says the battery is fine. Thus, no warranty replacement. I will probably replace that battery next spring when she comes out of hibernation. That local dealership was unable to acquire a ZR1 when I was in the market for one. I may take it to the dealer where I purchased it, about 50 miles away, and see if they are a bit more flexible with warranty replacement. If they are not, I will look for the absolute best battery that will fit in that small battery box.
It will fail and you will have problems replace now I know my 09 z was built aug 08 sat till march 2009 when i bought it. Thats why it takes a second to spin up mine checked out okay at first then died.............
z51vett
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM
scott08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also for future reference, 100LL has 8 times the amount of lead, as leaded fuel of the 80's. It has no place in any motor not designed for it. Thats why after you check the sumps on an aircraft and you get a little fuel on your fingers, they feel so slick.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by scott08
Also for future reference, 100LL has 8 times the amount of lead, as leaded fuel of the 80's. It has no place in any motor not designed for it. Thats why after you check the sumps on an aircraft and you get a little fuel on your fingers, they feel so slick.

Thanks,
Scott
I know a few people that run this fuel in all their vehicles and absoulutly love it. They seem to have no problems at all and they have been doing it for a while. Don't worry though, I am not going to try it in the ZR.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Default Fuel regulator

Well guys I think I figured out the problem with the engine taking a while to start after sitting a day. Talk to my friend the service manager today about the problem because it seems to still happen after servral gas tank fill ups . He said that he's pretty sure that it is the fuel regulator because it happens only after sitting a day. He said that when the fuel regulator is working right it keeps presure on the fuel line so it doesn't have to build when it has sat a while. It basically isn't a big deal if it is never fixed besides causing the life of the starter to be cut shorter. I think I will have them fix it since they take real good care of me their. The regulator is in the fuel tank and it has to be taken out to get to it. About a day job. Just wanted to let everybody know in case anybody has had the same problem.

Regards,
Tim

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Question for ZR1 owners ( Engine starting )