Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Preparing to sell my 07Z, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 AM
kingpinfarr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing to sell my 07Z, need some advice...

Two seats were fine when it was two people; but there's a bun in the oven...and everyone knows the lines in Acts II through VI.

I've got a few questions:

(1) In general, are guys selling Zs for Kelly Blue Book value? Or NADA? Or something else?

(2) In California, are they returning them to stock before selling (H/C cars)? (Not from CA, though I live here...and luckily don't have to abide by their emissions laws.)

(3) How do you price adjust for mods, if selling modified? Half the differential value between the stock part and aftermarket part? No adjustment at all?

I'm trying to take a fair and reasonable approach to asking price for both me and the potential buyers. I don't want to scare off buyers with too high of a price or screw myself with too low of a price. Fair is fair; I'm trying to figure out what fair is.

Stand by; I'll have some parts for sale (stock parts if I can sell it modded, go fast goodies if not).

Thanks in advance!
Paul

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6727484...n/photostream/

Last edited by kingpinfarr; 09-08-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: adding video (test)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 AM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Hey..

Could you please pm me... if you have some mod's to sell.

Thanks
Garry
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 AM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Mid 40's is a fair price.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

List you mods, mileage, condition, if the title is clean, etc and we can tell you what a fair price is
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Do what I did.... keep the Z and get an inexpensive daily driver.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 261 Posts

Leaving mods on the car nets you 10 cents on the dollar.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Leaving mods on the car nets you 10 cents on the dollar.
For the most part that sounds right. But it also depends on the buyer, what mods you have, and who did them.

If it's heads and cam done at Jimmy's garage you'll probably get less then if it was done by CMS or RPM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

It's all about finding the right buyer. For most buyers, the mods detract from the value, especially on a car under warranty. There is a very small market for Corvette Z06's, and an even smaller market for modified Z06's.
I would recommend you remove the modifications and return the car to stock and sell the parts. Your labor is a free investment.

Start by listing it for Private Seller Bluebook value. Advertise it on Autotrader, Cars.com, eBay motors, this forum, Craigs list, and Vettes for sale. Write up a nice add and include lots of pictures. Host the pictures on one of the picture web sites and paste the links in your adds so they open automatically.

Another alternative is to trade it in on a family friendly car. Involve your significant other in the process and you will gain points.

Best of luck!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
kingpinfarr
Instructor

I think I'll take Vito.A's advice: KBB, and likely return to stock if I don't get any bites soon. This is going to be a pain, but fortunately I kept all the parts.

I asked because I see some similar mileage/year/condition cars way over-priced ($50k+), while some seem way under-priced ($35k); a total variance of nearly $20k.

For the education of the group:

It's an 07 2LZ with 20k miles.

Relatively inexpensive, minorly invasive mods. It's not so much that I want return on investment as I want a smooth transaction (no California emissions issues). Particular items would be the exhaust and cam. None of the other stuff really matters.

Motor (and power-related):
Katech Torquer 110
PSI Valve Springs and Titanium retainers
C5R Timing Chain
CompCams Trunnion Kit (stays regardless of setting back to stock)
Pinned crank (dual pins)
American Racing Headers 1-7/8" to 3" collector w/cats
M2W switch (stays...the hole's cut, may as well leave it)
Halltech KB2 w/ Beehive
Optima Yellow Top (extended battery cables with 1/0)
HPTuners tuned (OE hybrid operation, no SD-only or MAF-only)

Chasis:
Pfadt transmission mounts
Pfadt poly bushings all around (stays regardless)

Interior:
Pioneer AVIC710 Nav unit

Tires:
Bridgestone Pole Position RE050 RF (OE sizes)

Still in the box:
Pfadt Engine Mounts
ECS Trans Brace

All warranties expire Feb2012.

All work performed personally. In case you're concerned about quality of work, I'm the guy that toleranced the lateral thrust on my trunnion kit to 0.003" +/- 0.0005".

Thanks guys!

Last edited by kingpinfarr; 09-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Not sure what your circumstances are but maybe you should rethink the sale. Over the last 50 years I have heard that tale innumerable times. In the vast majority of cases it was a mistake to sell. Going places with the family is what the second car is for. I can't remember the number of guys who complained to me how bad a mistake it was to sell the Corvette since there were so many other ways to resolve the issue.

If you decide to sell take off all the mods you can and sell them separately. Modded cars are hard to sell unless you find that special buyer who wants exactly what you did to the car. Then they have to trust you that the mods were done correctly and won't be a source of problems in the future.

Bill
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

The problem with taken MODS off is the cost, To change the car back to stock I think it is cheaper to just leve the MODS on, I have a 06 Z06 show car with a lot of upgrades that I would like to sell 16,000 miles but for me to put the car back to stock why to much $$$
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Ken Dahl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think more stock=more $$$.

Considering the 40+K investment, I think most people would pay more for a less modified car. Personally I would sharply de-value a car that HAD internal engine mods and had been returned to stock prior to sale.
Or I would just keep looking...

KD
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

good luck with your sale. The hardest part of the strip down will be the cam. over $1500 in labor for a $400 cam. Keep the car and buy a family car for the wife to drive.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was offered $42K by a dealer on a trade towrd a ZR1. I didn't end up buying one. I have stock 2LZ with 14K miles.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
DaddyBarlow
Racer

How much money can you really get for your "used" mod parts. On average maybe 50% of what what you payed...it might be worth it, depends on how much free time you have. Plus when you sell it and if you are asked if the car was ever modded or not...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
sorka
Melting Slicks

I'm looking for a used Z right now and won't even consider one that has had power mods *unless* I get a major discount on what I would be willing to pay for a perfectly stock car.

In my mind, power mods beyond an intake kills resale value. I won't consider a stock Z if I know it was previously modded and then returned to stock.

Unfortunately, most people will ask you the mod history of the car.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
65vetteC6
Pro

You would have to find the right buyer for the majority of those mods. I would say keep some of the basics like GPS etc and part out the rest. You will probably be able to make more that way

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing to sell my 07Z, need some advice...

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
kingpinfarr
Instructor

All good points. I've decided on a price. I'll leave it modded for a couple of weeks. If I don't get any decent offers, I'll put it back to emissions legal (stock exhaust, stock cam) and give that a shot. Either way, it's not like I'm losing much. This car held it's value very well over the last couple of years.

Selling the Vette isn't as much a matter of financial hardship (though finances obviously play into the decision), as a matter of "family first". If I can't tote my wife and kid in at least one of my vehicles, I'm not aligning action with intent. She has a Volvo; I have two two-seaters. I need to put my money where my mouth is.

Thanks again for the input. CF continues to prove it's quality as a community.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Your best bet is to demod it, IMO. I'm guessing you can get around 45-46k for it back to stock, or with just the basics left on (nothing more than headers). Otherwise I would expect you could get around 42k unless the right buyer came along who wanted your setup.

When I was Z06 shopping I could have picked a totally stock car, a lightly modded car or a full out heads/cam car. I didn't like the cam that was in the h/c car, the stock car was overpriced for what it was and I figured i wanted headers anyway... so that's how I ended up with my baby.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM
screaminchevy
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=kingpinfarr;1578632856]
Selling the Vette isn't as much a matter of financial hardship (though finances obviously play into the decision), as a matter of "family first". If I can't tote my wife and kid in at least one of my vehicles, I'm not aligning action with intent. She has a Volvo; I have two two-seaters. I need to put my money where my mouth is.

QUOTE]

What's the other 2 seater?....

i went through the same thing a year ago but couldn't stomach selling the Z. So bought a 1978 4x4 blazer for $2300 and used that as my dd for a year! driving a beater was far less painfull than not seeing my vette in the garage.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Preparing to sell my 07Z, need some advice...