Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question about ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about ticking noise

Well, I just bought my 07 Z06 with 18,500 miles on it and it was seemingly perfect until I started hearing a faint tick in the engine during acceleration. Took it to a performance shop and the owner opened up the valve cover only to discover that the pedestal is worn, which is causing the exhaust rocker to twist on the valve and make the ticking noise. Apparently the previous owner took all of his performance parts out and restored it to stock, but didn't torque things down correctly. Here's to hoping they fix it and cover it under the powertrain warranty. Anyone have any experiences like this? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Actually this is good news. You found an issue before it could hurt anything.

Far, far better than the alternative. Just make sure it's put back together correctly, and you'll be fine.

Oh, and go buy a lottery ticket tonight. Luck is with you.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know for sure if the prior owner had performance parts in there. It could be the roller bearings from the rocker arm that have begun to fall out. That would make the rocker arm off axis too.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM
IanM
Racer

Originally Posted by JJC5
How do you know for sure if the prior owner had performance parts in there. It could be the roller bearings from the rocker arm that have begun to fall out. That would make the rocker arm off axis too.

If this is the case I would replace ALL of the rockers preferably with Harland Sharp modded ones...
Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Thanks guys. We checked the roller bearings and they were good to go. Tooling marks were all over the bolts and there was no repair history on the car when I purchased it. I just hope they fix the problem correctly and thoroughly and cover the charges. I've only had it for two weeks and miss it terribly already. Hope it doesn't take too long.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 AM
simonster08z06
Advanced

Your is a 2007. Did you extend your powertrain warranty?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:47 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

No I didn't, but I have until January I believe. They checked before I even got to the dealership, and it's still good to go.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Where can I go to extend my powertrain warranty for the best price?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 689 Likes on 512 Posts

Your factory warranties (including the Powertrain) cannot be extended. However, if you choose to go with an extended warranty from GMPP, depending on which plan you choose, various components of the engine and transmission are covered. GMPP’s website can tell you what each of the plans covers or you can talk to Dennis Fichtner about this. He’s very helpful to the forum regarding GMPP plans and pricing.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by TrooperDLA
Well, I just bought my 07 Z06 with 18,500 miles on it and it was seemingly perfect until I started hearing a faint tick in the engine during acceleration. Took it to a performance shop and the owner opened up the valve cover only to discover that the pedestal is worn, which is causing the exhaust rocker to twist on the valve and make the ticking noise. Apparently the previous owner took all of his performance parts out and restored it to stock, but didn't torque things down correctly. Here's to hoping they fix it and cover it under the powertrain warranty. Anyone have any experiences like this? Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I hope you get things sorted out. I'm wondering, however, if the damage was caused by the previous owner's negligence, why should it be covered by the GM warranty? According to you, your motor was modded and damaged as a result. It doesn't make sense to me. Good luck to you anyway. Enjoy your Z.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Yeah I hear ya, but the svc mgr assured me that the previous owner's negligence shouldn't affect whether they cover it or not. They just sold me the car two weeks ago, so I believe either GM will cover it or the dealership will. Either way, I don't believe that I should have to pay a dime. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love this car and this really doesn't sit well with me.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah I hear ya, but the svc mgr assured me that the previous owner's negligence shouldn't affect whether they cover it or not. They just sold me the car two weeks ago, so I believe either GM will cover it or the dealership will. Either way, I don't believe that I should have to pay a dime. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love this car and this really doesn't sit well with me.
Yes, if you bought the car from the dealership, they are liable for any previous damage or negligence that the car may have endured when not in your possession.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Translator
Yes, if you bought the car from the dealership, they are liable for any previous damage or negligence that the car may have endured when not in your possession.
Here's to hoping we're both right!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Capt_South_USMC
Intermediate

Is the ticking not normal? Mine ticks on acceleration and so does everyone else I know that has one. I have heard the tick in 4 different Z06s. Call me crazy. Or maybe ALL of our cars are messed up? I did wonder what it was but after hearing it in other guys cars I figured it was normal. My car was stock when I bought it. I have since added many mods pushing 660 HP and have not had a problem. But it still ticks...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM
TrooperDLA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt_South_USMC
Is the ticking not normal? Mine ticks on acceleration and so does everyone else I know that has one. I have heard the tick in 4 different Z06s. Call me crazy. Or maybe ALL of our cars are messed up? I did wonder what it was but after hearing it in other guys cars I figured it was normal. My car was stock when I bought it. I have since added many mods pushing 660 HP and have not had a problem. But it still ticks...
It may be normal, but for what I paid for it, I want them to at least make a good faith effort and find out if there is something in there that needs to be fixed. From what a great and trustworthy mechanic showed me on mine, it isn't normal and the rocker pedestal has already been damaged as a result, so something is wrong in there. I guess we'll see. It could be a hundred different things or nothing at all. I'll keep everyone posted. I haven't heard from the dealership yet and I took it in yesterday. Hope they call today.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,550 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I understand. They sold you the car, they should fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about ticking noise

Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Talk to Dennis Fitchner (sp?) about the GMPP warranty....you definitely want to get one in this case.

He is also here on this forum. He will get you the best bottom line price for the GMPP warranty. Most all the guys here who get the warranty go to him.
Enjoy your new 'Z!!!

Tim
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt_South_USMC
Did you go w an aftermarket cam and it still ticks? Did they look at the lifter rollers?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about ticking noise