Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z07 Performance Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

My Z was recently built and this was my concern. But I figured the problem was old enough that it would be corrected by now. I figured a bad batch of rotors or something w/ the 2010's. But I was wrong. should have known better w/ GM. So i spent all this money and now have to play w/ a service department for something they know about.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
My 11 Zo7 has the vibration. Brand new! Emailed GM waiting on reply. I don't want a dealer chasing this.
I think its been posted that its the rotors not the tires and wheels that is causing the problem.
z51vett
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Thanks Z51, if you find a post or any TSB let me know, I would like to go to the dealer with as much info as possible.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Reading about the vibration problem in the ZR1 section, some were saying that GM says that the rotors do not wear evenly and can become out of balance due to wear.
Just to clarify as it has already been stated, this is a rotor balance issue from the plant. Carbon ceramic rotors don't wear anyway, but they do oxidize if run at extreme temperatures for any periods of time.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Just to clarify as it has already been stated, this is a rotor balance issue from the plant. Carbon ceramic rotors don't wear anyway, but they do oxidize if run at extreme temperatures for any periods of time.
My understanding is that they do wear. Where a cast iron rotor is stamped from the factory as to the minimum thickness, the carbon ceramic rotor has to be weighed to see how much wear it has. That minimum weight is stamped on the rotor( I believe it is ~12.85Kg, but could be wrong) but is unique to each rotor. If they don't wear, why is it required to stamp a minimum weight on the rotor, and replacement is required if the rotor is under that weight?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-06-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Chris_B
Racer

My understanding is that they do wear. Where a cast iron rotor is stamped from the factory as to the minimum thickness, the carbon ceramic rotor has to be weighed to see how much wear it has. That minimum weight is stamped on the rotor( I believe it is ~12.85Kg, but could be wrong) but is unique to each rotor. If they don't wear, why is it required to stamp a minimum weight on the rotor, and replacement is required if the rotor is under that weight?
It is not "wear", it is oxidation that is the enemy of carbon ceramic. Oxidation is the reduction and conversion of carbon atoms to CO2 (1 carbon + 2 oxygen = 1 CO2), which just floats away. As carbon is reduced, the weight decreases to eventually the lowest acceptable limit. Below that limit, the oxidation is usually getting pad enough to be very abrasive on the pads, chewing them up quickly. But even at minimum weight, the thickness will be the same as new. And, since the ZR1 rotors are made from a 3-piece laminate (for a simpler term), they cannot be reground like a 3D weave construction can be. They must be replaced instead.

Chris
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_B
It is not "wear", it is oxidation that is the enemy of carbon ceramic. Oxidation is the reduction and conversion of carbon atoms to CO2 (1 carbon + 2 oxygen = 1 CO2), which just floats away. As carbon is reduced, the weight decreases to eventually the lowest acceptable limit. Below that limit, the oxidation is usually getting pad enough to be very abrasive on the pads, chewing them up quickly. But even at minimum weight, the thickness will be the same as new. And, since the ZR1 rotors are made from a 3-piece laminate (for a simpler term), they cannot be reground like a 3D weave construction can be. They must be replaced instead.

Chris
Same thing. When a carbon ceramic rotor reaches it's minimum weight it has to be replaced just as when a cast iron rotor reaches it's minimum thickness it has to be replaced.

I will say the rotor is worn out and you can say it's oxidized out. Either way, the rotor is past it's useful life, whether through mechanical abrasion or chemical reaction.

My point was that the carbon ceramic rotor wears/oxidizes and that wear/oxidation can cause the rotor to be out of balance because of uneven wear/oxidation.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Same thing. When a carbon ceramic rotor reaches it's minimum weight it has to be replaced just as when a cast iron rotor reaches it's minimum thickness it has to be replaced.

I will say the rotor is worn out and you can say it's oxidized out. Either way, the rotor is past it's useful life, whether through mechanical abrasion or chemical reaction.

My point was that the carbon ceramic rotor wears/oxidizes and that wear/oxidation can cause the rotor to be out of balance because of uneven wear/oxidation.
Not really the same at all. If carbon-ceramic rotors are never operated at their oxidation temperatures (usually if kept below 1500°F / 750°C or so), then they will never oxidize OR wear. Iron discs will wear (more or less) no matter what temperature they operate at and will need to be replaced at some point. CCM rotors may never need to be replaced, or they can be completely eff'ed in one day.

Also, I've worked closely with carbon-carbon and carbon-ceramic brakes starting starting back in 1990 and I've never seen oxidation cause noticeable balance issues. The effects of rotors oxidation normally exhibit one of two symptoms: 1) Premature pad wear (due to acting like sandpaper) or, eventually, 2) spontaneous catastrophic failure (explosion).

Keep in mind that while iron and CCM (or C-SiC) rotors are meant to do essentially the same thing, they do it in rather different ways and with different results. Each has its own pros and cons, but they are rarely easily interchangeable. Lots of changes need to be made to accommodate the differences require for optimal use.

Chris
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Fewer carbon ceramic brakes will be produced in 2012

For 2012 GM revised the option packages. For normal street-driven Z06s that see some miles you order the new F55 package which combines the 19/20 PS2s, new lightweight wheels, the magnetic suspension, with Z06 steel rotors. The 2012 Z07 package now includes the sticky but fast-wearing Cup tires. Now you can't get carbon ceramic brakes without Cup tires. The 2012 Z07 will be a great performer for serious drivers. F55 will be for people who put miles on their Z06s. Z07 will now require the CFZ package, the side skirts deflect some of the stones picked up by the sticky tires (F55 can be ordered without CFZ, it has the same tires as Z07 had in 2011).
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM
06z06_427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I've been thinking about upgrading to zr1 brakes. Hadn't seen this issue. Do they make steel replacement rotors for guys that track their cars like Porsche track guys do?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Originally Posted by 06z06_427
Interesting. I've been thinking about upgrading to zr1 brakes. Hadn't seen this issue. Do they make steel replacement rotors for guys that track their cars like Porsche track guys do?
If enough people are interested, I can run a cost and feasibility study to see what it would take to make a batch of iron replacements.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

That would be one big front rotor, and I'm sure pretty heavy. You can buy Zo6 brake packages, rotors, and calipers, from 1600-1900 as alot of guys upgrade from standard vette brakes. I guess this would be a downgrade!1 LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 419 Likes on 221 Posts

My CFZ ZO6 without the ZO7 package was delivered out of allignment with all four tires substantially out of balance. Took a great service dept to figure it out.
No more problems
Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvette02035
My CFZ ZO6 without the ZO7 package was delivered out of allignment with all four tires substantially out of balance. Took a great service dept to figure it out.
No more problems
Thanks Good news! Hope to get it in there this week

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z07 Performance Option