Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thinking about buying a Z . . . questions you've all heard before . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 AM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a Z . . . questions you've all heard before . . .

Hey all,

Been really craving a new (to me) ride lately. Currently I own an 04' CTS-V, and while I love the car, I'm getting tired of babying it because of the rear end, and I don't want to drop money on mods at this point.

The car before was an 06 Saleen Mustang. Blew the engine on it at 7k miles and rebuilt it with a Forged stroker and upped the boost to 12psi.

Now I'm thinking about getting into a Z. The ONLY Corvette experience I have was in my friends 85 back in college that we built up, added nitrous to, etc.

I really love the look of the C6 Z06, and love that the LS7 is a proven platform. I also like the idea of moving from a car that weighs 3800+ to a 3100+ lb. car.

Like most people thinking about the move, I am wondering what the general things to watch out for are. I've read on here about a roof leak in 06, rocker arm bearings in 06/07, and a thread regarding a dropped valve. Can anyone elaborate more, and/or give me some insight into other issues?

What about cost of ownership. I imagine brakes are expensive as hell, but what are people paying for pads/rotors? Any other overly expensive upkeep items? Any must have mods?

Apologies as I'm sure many of you have seen these posts before, but there really is no better resource than these forums.

I'd probably be looking at an 06/07, as my price at this point would be in the lower-mid 40's. Not a LOT to play with, but I think I could find something worthy. FWIW I've considered a newer CTS-V, and even though MPG isn't the first consideration with any of these cars, as my DD I have a hard time stomaching 19mpg highway when the Z06 is capable of 24+.

Thanks all!

Last edited by siggy_freud; 06-23-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:51 AM
FNQWK
Burning Brakes

do it and dont look back! roofs dont leak, they fly off. no biggie-its under recall. if it has not been done do it as soon as you get the car.
cost of ownership is not that bad until you start modding-which you say you'll do "just this" and end up spending thousands. brakes are not bad. im at 25kmiles and are fine. a good upgrade is to replace the fronts(when needed or not) to 2 piece afx front rotors. they add better stopping power and save 20lbs of rotating mass. best all around performance car for the money hands down. had my rockers replaced at 15kmiles so cant comment

(2) afx rotors cost me $700 shipped
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM
rrpederson
Instructor

Originally Posted by FNQWK
do it and dont look back! roofs dont leak, they fly off. no biggie-its under recall. if it has not been done do it as soon as you get the car.
cost of ownership is not that bad until you start modding-which you say you'll do "just this" and end up spending thousands. brakes are not bad. im at 25kmiles and are fine. a good upgrade is to replace the fronts(when needed or not) to 2 piece afx front rotors. they add better stopping power and save 20lbs of rotating mass. best all around performance car for the money hands down. had my rockers replaced at 15kmiles so cant comment

(2) afx rotors cost me $700 shipped
Cost of ownership is actually pretty manageable. You can find pads from gm parts warehouse, a vendor here, for under $300 for all four corners. I think I paid close to $150 for the fronts and 130 for the rears, give or take, for the hawk hps pads. Not sure about the cost of rotors, haven't one them yet. The most money is going to be spent on mods, and then gas. At first I made the decision not to do any mods. I was going good there for about 10 months but After a while though the bug bit me again and I had to do it. So after, headers, cat-back, cam and intake, I found that my street driven gas mileage is about 12 miles a gallon. So be warned, when you start to mod, just like with your Saleen or any car, the gas mileage is going to drop. My past cars were a modded 03 Cobra and a modded 07 GT500. Those both got horrible gas mileage after I modded them, (pulleys,intake and exhaust). As far as best performance per dollar, I think the C6 Z06 wins hands down. As far as fun though, I must admit, I had the most fun with my first real hot-rod. The 03 Cobra. I will have one again, one of these days. Anyway, If you have the left-over money every month then do it, and don't look back. You won't have any regrets. I know I never did. Do you self a favor and wait for the perfect deal. There are no shortage of these cars, just patience. I think you could pick up a low mileage 06 or 07 for low 40's by now. I Paid 46k for mine and it had 24k miles on it. I paid too much because I was not patient enough. Good luck.

Richie
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Cost of ownership is directly dependent on your right foot and the severity of your mod bug. I get on average 13-14MPG. Stock tires only lasted 6K miles (Invos actually have ~15K miles and still have some tread left).

Cheap insurance is to check the valve guides and replace if worn. That's the latest data. Older cars ('06 and '07) replace the valve springs even if it's just the newer OEM springs with the white stripe. When I had my heads milled and ported, I had them change the exhaust valves to single piece Ferrea Super Alloy. Didn't have the valve guide data back then or else I would have changed the guides, too. Won't drop the valve head into the cylinder at least. It does consume oil at high RPMs, so perhaps there is already guide wear. Also has dual springs with the cam, so no worries of a spring breakage dropping the valve. Now my weak link is the stock pistons. But the tune that's on it must be pretty conservative because even in the 100+ degree heat lately there has been no sign of ping or detonation (knock on wood).

That said, the problems you talk about with dropped valves and blown motors are few and far between. I've been running over 500rwhp for two plus years and 14K miles now (over 560rwhp currently) with not so much as a hiccup. Had a scary incident last summer with the car overheating, though. Turned out to be the negative ground connection in the fan plug melting the plug and cutting off the fans. Fixed that by bypassing the connector. Also replaced the Vararam with a Callaway, and that helped drop average coolant temps under extreme conditions. I've no doubt that the fans having to run overtime due to inefficient air flow through the radiator contributed to the melting plug. Haven't had any problems with the A/C cutting out since fixing the fans and ditching the Vararam. Still running uncoated headers (I thought the headers were contributing, but apparently not).

Overall a great car. Modding took several attempts and several tuners to get the car dialed in. Ragin' Racin' finally got everything squared away. Not the fastest or the most powerful, but so far has good reliability.

Oh, over 21K miles and still on the original brakes. Brakes are not that bad. Start saving for tires, though. I don't daily drive mine or else I would already be through several sets of tires.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Depending on what tires it comes with, I would probably look at buying some anyways, as where I live it rains 9 months out of the year.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by EViL427
Cost of ownership is directly dependent on your right foot and the severity of your mod bug. I get on average 13-14MPG. Stock tires only lasted 6K miles (.

totally
My experience with my 'Z06' has been good. Everything I'm posting here is regarding my "stock" car. Mine has no mods at present (other than mild to wild exhaust controller and oil catch can-otherwise only appearence items such as "427" hood badges etc.) I bought my 2010 'Z new last year so I plan to take full advantage of warranty coverage while it's there. The car has 7,4XX miles today and is driven mainly on weekends and work sometimes. I have NOT abused the car at all. I have experienced multiple 'spirited' jaunts. My very first driving event (closed course) was recently. However, my focus was not 'speed', rather, focused on my driving abilities (handling the car, shifting etc).

So, tires....my "Z is still on the original (1st gen) Goodyear runflats. Most will say it's a horrible tire. Coming from a 'novice' I can say that they do NOT have good tread life. They ride harsh and are loud. They will pick up every little peeble on the street and throw it on your 'Z. But, since I have not abused (or better term-performed 'burnouts') the tread is still good on these tires (over 60% remaining). Tires will be a 'higher' cost maintence item-a set of Michelins approx $2k/set. You can get a set (different brand) which are a very capable tire for half that I've read here on forum.

Brakes, I'm having very good experience with factory brakes. I assume that if I track the car and my abilities improve, I will need a change. But just for spirited jaunts/dd'ing w/factory brakes they are GREAT. It will also depend many other factors though....mods and how many more ponies laying down w/mods. Rpl OEM pads 300 set (approx).

Roofs.....that's a "saftey" recall. Should not come accross any car with that issue. Any Chevy dealer can check if the recall has been done though. Mainly affected '06/half '07's I think. Since it's saftey, you should incur no cost.

If your 'not' going to track the 'Z, most of the changes over the model years would be "un"-important.....the dry sump oil capacity enlarged to 10.5 qts. The transmission changed from T-56 to T-6060. The rear diffs changed alittle. Latest change (2011) exhaust changed from H to X pipe. The internal oil routes changed somewhat bottom end LS7-can't remember exactly what it was....the electronics (ECM) changed along the way.....to accomadate launch control, now have Boosch systems....and of course in the interior appearence items have changed-buttons (bluetooth-stereo controls on steering wheel added).....also latest (2011) ride control was added....

As far as dropping valve-needle bearings.....the needle bearing issue affect only some 'Z's built Jan 07-June 07 I think it was. Had a bad batch during that time frame.

Valves-valve guide-premature wear.....only few LS7's affected so far. Most who have experienced this have added more power (mods). I am NO expert.....so that's really all I'm qualified to say....other than in my ownership exp I have NOT had the issue. But, that's why I'm taking full advantage of my warranty. Don't want any issues. I will mod mine later.

The Z06....bang for buck....CANNOT beat it. I love mine....it's like a new toy every time I get in it-I had it over a year now.

You will be able to get into one at your price point. No problem. As another reccomended to you....have patience and wait for that "one" to come along. Their out there. Over 26k built since '06 model year. Do not know numbers for '11. but since production started-the 2010 has the FEWEST built-518 Z06's for 2010.....

Good luck in your search....oh yeah, my fuel mileage has averaged 21 mpg. Some get more....that is my average....city/highway.

Z06's and are a ride to own/drive
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
sengli
Instructor

as a recent buyer of a Z. Even with low miles they have an issue with the rear brake duct area, on the rear quarters being sandblasted and from gravel from the front tires. So look at this area closely before you buy.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Thanks for the information all. Any issues with driving in the rain? Other than having proper tires and not driving like an asshat? I live in Oregon, so we get a lot of it . . .
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by siggy_freud
Thanks for the information all. Any issues with driving in the rain? Other than having proper tires and not driving like an asshat? I live in Oregon, so we get a lot of it . . .
Zero problems on Nitto Invos. Handles beautifully. It's real easy to keep the car docile, even modded like mine is. Just keep your foot out of it. It can and WILL get away from you even in dry conditions if you have your asshat on.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sengli
as a recent buyer of a Z. Even with low miles they have an issue with the rear brake duct area, on the rear quarters being sandblasted and from gravel from the front tires. So look at this area closely before you buy.
There is a bulletin on this. Just tell your dealer you are getting rock chips and they will replace with an update vent.

I own an 06 and so far so good and I run her good. To the guy who started this thread, you have never driven a car until you have driven a Z06. Mustangs, Camaro's, even Porsche's just don't compare. However you think the driving experience is going to be (meaning you think it will be great) multiple what you think it will be times 10 and you maybe come close.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
There is a bulletin on this. Just tell your dealer you are getting rock chips and they will replace with an update vent.

I own an 06 and so far so good and I run her good. To the guy who started this thread, you have never driven a car until you have driven a Z06. Mustangs, Camaro's, even Porsche's just don't compare. However you think the driving experience is going to be (meaning you think it will be great) multiple what you think it will be times 10 and you maybe come close.
I should find someone in the area with one then and beg for a ride.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by siggy_freud
I should find someone in the area with one then and beg for a ride.
Better yet, go find a used one on a dealer lot and take it for a test drive. That's what I did. I was driving a brand new (I was the first owner) 2006 Z51 coupe for a couple of years and made the mistake of taking my current Z06 for a test drive. I was only there to look at exhaust options for the '06. I couldn't sign the papers fast enough. It only took 2 minutes and one romp on the throttle, and it was all over for the '06. Unbelievable. It took days to wipe the silly grin off my face. And here I am 2 1/2 years later with the Z06, and I still catch myself staring at it in the garage and getting stuck with a silly grin every time I mash the throttle. Drive one, and you'll look like this for days --> But be warned; the first time you floor it, you'll look like this --> . Bring a change of underwear.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 06-23-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. I too had an 04 V....loved it....fully bolt ons, spectr cowl hood, ccw's, etc

Have moved on to this:

And while I do occasionally miss the V.....the Z puts a bigger smile on my face, and more of a churning in my stomach when I hit the go pedal.

DO IT....you will not look back.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Nice looking CTS-V and Z06. Black on black was the only way to go with the V's. I'm hesitant to drive a Z06 from anyone who wants to sell it to me. Not ready for the purchase just yet, but know I'd have a hard time keeping the checkbook in the pocket.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice V as well.

I even went as far as to black the grill out at one point...mines on the left

Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geared
Nice V as well.

I even went as far as to black the grill out at one point...mines on the left
Does this make us soulmates or secret lovers? I kept my chrome unpainted but blackened the grills. BTW looking at your hood on the big screen (as opposed to my phone) that thing looks awesome.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Geared
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks man! nice lookin V buddy

I dont blame you on the diff's...I went through 3 myself, and I didnt even track her!

jb

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about buying a Z . . . questions you've all heard before . . .

Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

OP--check this thread: a car you'd possibly be interested in ?

good luck...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...t-car-max.html
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Thanks for the post . If I wasn't *** deep in a home remodel for my grandma I'd be all over it .
Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM
califbiglar
Racer

Siggy Freud, I don’t know how close you are to Grants Pass but July 8th ~ 10th there is a big Corvette event. On Saturday there is a show & shine but I’m not quite sure exactly where the car show is going to be, two years ago it was at a park there in town but with as many Corvettes around I’m sure you can find us. I have a 2007 Atomic Orange I purchased new and now have around 40K on the clock, if you find me I would be more than happy to point out some stuff, answer any questions you may have from my experience. I’m sure there will be quite a few C6 Z06’s there and I know everyone would just as happy to help.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thinking about buying a Z . . . questions you've all heard before . . .