Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Great Week for the ZR1: 7:19.63 Ring time and 24hr Le Mans Win!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default All right Guibo chimmed in too!

Originally Posted by Guibo
If by "best N-ring lap time," you mean 7:19-7:24, then I agree that it definitely helps. ZR1 has not only finely tuned traction control, but also very fat and sticky tires, so it's a bit of both (TC and augmentation). GT-R has DCT as well, plus a driver with thousands of laps of development, and these help to acheive the lap times we see.
Not intimidated either!So we are back having some intellectual arguments!

If traction control didn't work why would they have bothered to make it illegal on the most sophisticated formula one cars? And I don't beleave the C6r used it to fly like a bird at LeMans compared to a stock ZR1 at the ring. It is a relative thing.
Technology is fun for me to follow. Now we here that the SEQ trans in the C6r uses a basic tranny. So cool, simple and cheap. It's easy to see with some more PCM programming and a switch how they could probably make it automatic as well, cool!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-18-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM
raj
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Documenting 'Ring Times

I, for one, am truly heartened to see a manufacturer of mass production vehicles like GM (who, incidentally, are on track to sell more cars than any other in 2011), elevating their game and documenting a record setting lap of the Nurburgring. Rather than succumbing to the majority opinion and viewing this as an exercise in futility, they have set the standard for manufacturers of more elite brands whose raison d'etre is performance. GM has thrown the proverbial gauntlet with this move, echoing the words of a famous statistician: "In God We Trust, All Others Must Bring Data". Kudos to GM for raising the benchmark in more ways than one!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z07

Seems to be pretty much what you and Guibo are doing ....
How did you come up with that? Seriously.

Please don't make things up about what we post.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z07
PS: Sentence structure - you shouldn't use a joining word at the beginning of sentences OR you could just quit it.
http://www.businesswritingblog.com/b...s_okay_an.html

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/can-...Cbut%E2%80%9D/
Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Notch
How did you come up with that? Seriously.

Please don't make things up about what we post.
I've spotted Guibo on several forums. His style is always to suggest something very strongly without having the guts to actually say it. I note you're pretty much the same. Why do you even defend this 7:18 claim in any way unless you're trying to validate it or claim it to be equal to video evidence? It's nothing more than hearsay and if you keep defending it people will draw the obvious conclusions however strongly you deny them and that's all I've done.

Grammar BS....
Where does it say that it is okay in the context that you used it?

Words mean things, as does sentence structure. And second, do you know what "fraudulent" means?
^This is just a straight-forward case of wrongly using a joining word to begin a second sentence that could and should be linked to the first. I don't normally bring such things up but you were being arsey about 'sentence structure' whilst getting it dreadfully wrong yourself.

Is this going to be the bit where you escape from a losing argument and take a detour onto several things that are completely unrelated and then eventually get right about something and claim a victory?

Last edited by Z07; 06-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by raj
"In God We Trust, All Others Must Bring Data".
Guibo... Notch... that includes you.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:39 PM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man on man. This thread is exhausting lol.

On a lighter not, Congrats to chevy! Having the fastest production car on the planet, at the N-Ring at least.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
Clearly it provides better proof than an interview and a few slipped words.
It's still not proof and does nothing to validate or invalidate the claim.

Originally Posted by Z07
Apples and oranges. With an essay or a spoken claim there's no real proof that anything at all actually happened. A video at least shows that the lap happened and provides something that can be analysed to weed out gross cheating.
So you're telling me that the scientific essays of, say, lab rat experiments submitted to respected journals don't claim anything happened to the rats? That makes no sense.
A video at least shows a lap happened...with a car of questionable power, tires, brakes, and alignment. You can somehow tell what tires and camber a car is running by looking at an in-car video? Wow, you're amazing.

Originally Posted by Z07
Well there was considerable debate about the CBA Nissan's speed on the 'ring's main straight relative to the 2008 ZR1 but ironically I think the best evidence comes from the latest ZR1 video.
Did we really need a video to believe GM's claim of a strong headwind? Your video can't differentiate if the wind is the reason or if it's the shifting that's the result.

Originally Posted by Z07
But you're trying to start a benchrace again Guibo. Lord knows, you always start one and then accuse others of doing it.
Whom have I accused in this thread of benchracing?

Originally Posted by Z07
An unproven claim is always BS until proven otherwise.
Proven by whom? The manufacturer in question? LOL. Surely, you can spot the problem with such a premise, can't you?

OK, let's put it this way. Let's assume that the justice system works on your method: a person is guilty until proven innocent.

Prosecutor: "You're guilty of murder."
Defendant: "I'm innocent."
Prosecutor: "Prove it."
Defendant: "I have a video that puts me in a location other than the crime scene at the time of the crime."
Prosecutor: "Who produced this video?"
Defendant: "I did."
Prosecutor: "Sorry for taking up your time. Have a nice day."

Originally Posted by Z07
FWIW I've even seen you trying to validate the 7:18 time using the 7:24 time from Sport Auto on at least 3 other forums. Frankly this is just an absurd exercise. Theoretical laps do not count. Any car is theoretically capable of a better lap time than anybody achieves because nobody ever runs a perfect lap on the 'ring but theory doesn't count. Besides this, Sport Auto is the absolute last source I would use to validate anything to do with any 911.
How do you know Sport Auto's results are theoretical best times?
Sport Auto's results were never called into question before when they confirmed Porsche's, BMW's, and Pagani's claims. Why would they be questionable now?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z07
I've spotted Guibo on several forums. His style is always to suggest something very strongly without having the guts to actually say it.
And what is it that you claim I don't have the guts to say? That GM and Nissan cheated?
I've spotted you on several forums too. Are you not in fact these same members?:
mc_h, mc_hammer, BD-, Trommel, Trommel2, igotmycracpipe

All of whom who, in various guises, have been banned for trolling on 6speedonline and supraforums?

If you are, then you are the same who benchraced the LP570 and 458 into times that they did not acheive on TopGear's track, correct? You'd also be the same who claimed the ZR1 on its 7:26 lap finished the Doettinger Hoehe straight 90m ahead of the GT-R when it wasn't.

Z07, could you clarify what you meant in this thread when you said:
"The record now stands at 260.1mph and is held by the Keating TKR."
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572444367-post160.html

Last edited by Guibo; 06-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z07
Where does it say that it is okay in the context that you used it?
"The answer is yes. It is perfectly acceptable to start sentences with the conjunctions and and but. However, it is slightly informal."
Old 06-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Easy reading.

This thread is much easier to read through once you have put all the usual Ring Trolls on /ignore.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 PM
tapoff1r2
3rd Gear

Very Cool
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like starting a sentence with 'However"

I do it all the time but get blasted for it by editors (in addition to my omitting words I read in but do not appear in print)
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Z07
Advanced

It's still not proof and does nothing to validate or invalidate the claim.
What are you talking about? Of course a video helps to validate the claim. Just because you might get away with a mild tune doesn't mean that you can discount the evidence altogether.

So you're telling me that the scientific essays of, say, lab rat experiments submitted to respected journals don't claim anything happened to the rats? That makes no sense.
There's no physical proof that anything happened. People can simply lie. Suppose a company is overly eager to push a drug to the market they could selectively hire or bribe scientists to ******** the results.

A video at least shows a lap happened...with a car of questionable power, tires, brakes, and alignment. You can somehow tell what tires and camber a car is running by looking at an in-car video? Wow, you're amazing.
By cross-examining it against other videos and examinng how long it takes to reach a given speed on a number of opposing straights you can certainly gauge a rough estimate of power. Probably not accurate enough to pick up a 5% hike but you'd certainly spot a 50% hike.

Tires? You could probably pick-up on the use of slicks by cross-examining it against other videos and magazine laps although you probably wouldn't pick-up on the use of say MPSCs vs MPS3s.

This - "7:18" - you can't gauge anything from. Did the lap happen at all? Did someone cruise round in a 956? Did the car have 800hp? There's just 3 questions that a video can answer and a claim can't. A claim has all the weaknesses of a video (and far more) and none of its strengths. It's the very worst possible form of evidence if you could even class it as such.

Did we really need a video to believe GM's claim of a strong headwind? Your video can't differentiate if the wind is the reason or if it's the shifting that's the result.
Sure it can. That isn't the only flat section in the video. The speeds on opposing straights in the first video were unusually high, the speed on the main straight was low and vice versa in the new video. There's only really one logical conclusion to that.

Whom have I accused in this thread of benchracing?
Come now Guibo. This is hardly the only thread or forum you've ever bored people to death on now is it?

Proven by whom? The manufacturer in question? LOL. Surely, you can spot the problem with such a premise, can't you?

OK, let's put it this way. Let's assume that the justice system works on your method: a person is guilty until proven innocent.

Defendant: "I'm innocent."
Prosecutor: "Prove it."
Defendant: "I have a video that puts me in a location other than the crime scene at the time of the crime."
Prosecutor: "Who produced this video?"
Defendant: "I did."
Prosecutor: "Sorry for taking up your time. Have a nice day."
More a case of:

Defendant: "No I was here at the time in question." *puts forth CCTV footage for examination*

vs

Judge: "How do you plead?"
Defendant: "Innocent."
Judge: "Good good, on your way then."

How do you know Sport Auto's results are theoretical best times?
Sport Auto's results were never called into question before when they confirmed Porsche's, BMW's, and Pagani's claims. Why would they be questionable now?
You're missing the point entirely. It's not about theoretical best laps. That's benchracing.

The gap between theory and practice is as much a fundamental aspect of a car's performance as engine power, 0-100mph, lateral g or anything else.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Z07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Like starting a sentence with 'However"

I do it all the time but get blasted for it by editors (in addition to my omitting words I read in but do not appear in print)
At least you don't go round lecturing other people on sentence structure at the same time like our friend Notch.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Z07
Advanced

"The answer is yes. It is perfectly acceptable to start sentences with the conjunctions and and but. However, it is slightly informal."
That's an answer to a question that I didn't ask.

Words mean things.
I used to think that until I started reading your posts.

And what is it that you claim I don't have the guts to say? That GM and Nissan cheated?
I've spotted you on several forums too. Are you not in fact these same members?:
mc_h, mc_hammer, BD-, Trommel, Trommel2, igotmycracpipe
Guess again. At least that user had the wit to change their username rather than boring over a dozen car forums to death with same username over and over again.

All of whom who, in various guises, have been banned for trolling on 6speedonline and supraforums?
I imagine they were probably bored to the brink of insanity by your incessant ramblings.

Z07, could you clarify what you meant in this thread when you said:
"The record now stands at 260.1mph and is held by the Keating TKR."
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572444367-post160.html
I was referring to this but yes, it's not an official record and is therefore not valid AFAIK and has been beaten by the Veyron SS anyway. Any further questions?

http://www.speedlux.com/keating-tkr-...1-mph-416-kmh/

If you are, then you are the same who benchraced the LP570 and 458 into times that they did not acheive on TopGear's track, correct? You'd also be the same who claimed the ZR1 on its 7:26 lap finished the Doettinger Hoehe straight 90m ahead of the GT-R when it wasn't.
Yes we spotted you benchracing that mc_h character on nagtroc. At least he had the good sense to admit he was wrong, whereas you stuck to your completely absurd estimate of '30 yards'. The truth is that you can't accurately gauge the distance because of camera angle and lens distortion but suffice to say you were both wrong along with the other imbecile you befriended.

This is basically the algorithm by which your brain operates on a permanent, unflinching basis.

Last edited by Z07; 06-19-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Great Week for the ZR1: 7:19.63 Ring time and 24hr Le Mans Win!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Guibo Decison Tree

This thread.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Z06 Sport
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaxian
This thread is much easier to read through once you have put all the usual Ring Trolls on /ignore.
Good point. It's also good to start at the first before derailment.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z07
What are you talking about? Of course a video helps to validate the claim. Just because you might get away with a mild tune doesn't mean that you can discount the evidence altogether.
Who said anything about discouting altogether? I'm saying a video in and of itself doesn't tell you much about the vehicle in question.
It's funny, but isn't a mild tune enough for some impressive gains in a GT-R? That's the line I've been hearing on nagtroc.

Originally Posted by Z07
There's no physical proof that anything happened. People can simply lie. Suppose a company is overly eager to push a drug to the market they could selectively hire or bribe scientists to ******** the results.
FDA approval is a bit more rigorous than that.
If a scientist claims to be able to cure cancer, would you believe him based on a video that he releases? Or would you prefer independent, 3rd party testing of said claims? Or are you claiming that all mag test results are questionable?

Originally Posted by Z07
By cross-examining it against other videos and examinng how long it takes to reach a given speed on a number of opposing straights you can certainly gauge a rough estimate of power. Probably not accurate enough to pick up a 5% hike but you'd certainly spot a 50% hike.
So what you're saying is that you might not even pick up a 40% hike. Wow, that's some great "proof" you've got there.

Originally Posted by Z07
Tires? You could probably pick-up on the use of slicks by cross-examining it against other videos and magazine laps although you probably wouldn't pick-up on the use of say MPSCs vs MPS3s.
What other magazine laps of this ZR1? What other magazine laps of the ZR1 on PS2s? Please don't say...Sport Auto.

Originally Posted by Z07
Sure it can. That isn't the only flat section in the video. The speeds on opposing straights in the first video were unusually high, the speed on the main straight was low and vice versa in the new video. There's only really one logical conclusion to that.
Wait, the speeds on the opposing straights in the first video were unusually high? You mean with the benefit of better tires and PTM for a much better launch out of corners, the new car was slower on those straights? How do you know it was wind and not, say, the old car being juiced up? You don't. The only way to know is to dyno these cars are run these cars against the clock, preferably in the same conditions. We have none of this in either video.

Originally Posted by Z07
Defendant: "No I was here at the time in question." *puts forth CCTV footage for examination*
CCTV footage, provided by whom? See, the source of the video makes all the difference. In this case, it was the courthouse's video which makes the case. Not a video production by the defendant.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Great Week for the ZR1: 7:19.63 Ring time and 24hr Le Mans Win!