Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Motorsport Ranch: ZR1 versus GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Mr turbo rotary
Team Owner

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for taking me on the ride, I enjoyed it.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by CPG1962
Are you joking? I had an LPE ZR1 with a 2.32" pulley and a set of Pirelli Trofeos. Dont you think I know what they are capable of? I will stick with my GT2 for the track. Yes the ZR1 is a very nice (and capable) car but it is NOT a modified GT2 on its best day. Yes it it more expensive but so what if I can afford it it doesnt matter. I would rather buy an American sports car ( I have owned three vettes) but I have found that the Porsche is much higher quality, it is very reliable, and it takes a beating and keeps on going. I am done. I will stick with my P cars and maybe a vette when I get the urge to buy one.
You can say I am guilty for starting the entire row but I (1) dont need the justify spending more $$ for a car (Its chump change), (2) I never said a bad word about the ZR1, (3) the fact remains that I prefer Porsche as IMO it provides the best feedback, is consistant on the track, and is very high quality, (4) I modify every Porsche I own just as I do my Vettes (5) my 997.1 base AWHP is 688 and 645 FT# (upwards of 725 x 660 with race gas) (6) my GT2 is being built as a true track car but can be driven on the road - our targets are (with a GIAC programmer) 650WHP-750WHP-825WHP-1100WHP+. (7) part of the build can be seen in my garage (8) I will have a new 997.2 Turbo S (arrival next week) and I will bring it up to a safe level limited by PDK which stands right know at approx. 600-625 AWHP. Needless to say it will be VERY quick and fast.

I think the ZR1 is a great car and to me the most comfortable sports car I have ever driven given it's prowess on or off the track. I actually prefer the Z06 and will most likely purchase an Inferno Orange "Z07" or Carbon Series in the near future.

Last edited by CPG1962; 06-02-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 AM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedSnake
No one in particular. Do you feel guilty?

Well hmm, I guess that depends on the interpretation of the definition of bashing. I consider going into a Corvette Forum and touting a particular car is better than a Corvette to be bashing the vette. There are Porsche forums; aren't there? I own a Mustang and am considering selling it to get a used Z06. If I do so; I'm not going to go back to the Mustang forum where I'm a member and tout how great my Corvette is. That is a douche bag move imo. Just like bringing up all the different models of Porsche 911's that "supposedly" best a ZR1 in a Corvette forum. All this got started because of a comment made by a proud ZR1 owner about the performance of a their car in respect to a much more expensive european car. Then owners of such European cars felt the urge to defend their purchase I guess. Why does everyone feel the need to prove to others that their choice is the best. I think it is to justify the money they spent. That is pretty insecure.
Good post.

I'll post the P forum link again:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/index.php
Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I think the ZR1 is a great car and to me the most comfortable sports car I have ever driven given it's prowess on or off the track. I actually prefer the Z06 and will most likely purchase an Inferno Orange "Z07" or Carbon Series in the near future.
If you preferred the P car over your LPE modified ZR1, you won't be happy with the Z06 either.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by thebrander
I'll post the P forum link again
Yeah, now that he's moved on to Porsches, perhaps he'll move on the the proper forum?

One can only hope...

jas
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Great vid, Corey. Glad to see you are out on the track with your ZR1. It reminded me of the class at Spring Mountain.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I sell and buy more cars than Bayer has pills.

With those cars I rarely keep the documentation unless it is really something to remember (as a keepsake).
Stay Tuned I will get the exact numbers/details. I personally owned a 2008 997 Carrrera S (sorry no Dynos as I owned the car for 9-10 months)and was able to gain 45 WHP w/o race gas.

FYI: A GIAC (or multiple others) controller/programmer send up to 3-4 programs to the main CPU allowing you to change your tune on the fly - primarily to access the ability to run race gas w/o entering a permanent tune. I have it on my GT2 and can jump from 600 WHP up to ~1100 (in 4 steps) on race gas. This build is not finished but will be in 2-3 weeks. Something I have never seen in any other car but Porsche although I understand it can be had for Lambos, F-Cars, and others. I also have it on my 997.1 Turbo and will on my incoming 2012 Turbo S.
Having owned three Porsches myself --- it appears you fit in great with the Porsche crowd. You know, the kind that is more concerend about the badge on the hood, telling everyone how much they paid for their suit, how many cars they own, carrying the LV luggage, etc.

I will tell you right now that you will get nowhere near 60 HP with a GIAC tune on a NA flat six engine. They (GIAC et al) may advertise it but it is total bunk. I know because I expored it on my 997S. I was told by two local Porsche tuner shops..... "you will be very dissappointed"
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one in particular. Do you feel guilty?
Not in the least. I haven't ever bashed ANY make of car on this forum.

Just like bringing up all the different models of Porsche 911's that "supposedly" best a ZR1 in a Corvette forum.
Someone made a blanket statement about the ZR1 which isn't in fact true. Pointing this out is in no way "bashing the Vette".

BTW, I personally couldn't care less what car (any car from any manufacturer), may of may not be faster around track "XYZ" than any other car. That data just isn't important to me at all.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by ALMS21
Having owned three Porsches myself --- it appears you fit in great with the Porsche crowd. You know, the kind that is more concerend about the badge on the hood, telling everyone how much they paid for their suit, how many cars they own, carrying the LV luggage, etc.

I will tell you right now that you will get nowhere near 60 HP with a GIAC tune on a NA flat six engine. They (GIAC et al) may advertise it but it is total bunk. I know because I expored it on my 997S. I was told by two local Porsche tuner shops..... "you will be very dissappointed"
I have two cars and have owned three total with GIAC tunes and programmers and no disappointment here, must be your tuners. As far as your assumptions - that is just what they are. I where shorts, golf shirt, and flip flops to work everyday unless I have customers coming in. I do NOT even own a suit. If they dont like the way I dress they can buy it somewhere else (oops! Forgot - I am the sole supplier to the USG and worldwide for that matter). I love nice things for their quality but I dont show it off. You have the wrong guy. I am as down to earth considering my good fortunes that you would ever meet. I dont live in mult-million $ home (could), dont drive a Bentley or, Lambo, or Ferrari (could), hell - my overseas flights are business class (not 1st), although I only fly Cathay or Singapore Air (not that you would know what the heck I am talking about). I donate 6 figures to various charities as it is good for my soul and my karma (dont have to). Dont go to all the fundraisers, social gatherings, etc that I am invited to because I dont fit in. Owning a Porsche doesnt make anyone rich - what a bunch of malarchy. My wife and I joke about it - we are not Hi-So's - we are No So's. Oh - and I only use Samsonite, very good quality and the only suitcases I have found that hold up on continuous international flights.

Now you have owned three P cars - where do you fit in? Do you own a suit? I bet you do (dont lie).

Last edited by CPG1962; 06-02-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
CPG1962
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by range96
If you preferred the P car over your LPE modified ZR1, you won't be happy with the Z06 either.
Owned one - Loved it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Mods, as the OP, I request this thread be locked down. Too many wannabe's rolling it out over the ruler, one in particular...

Last edited by QUIKAG; 06-02-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Mods, as the OP, I request this thread be locked down. Too many wannabe's rolling it out over the ruler, one in particular...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Motorsport Ranch: ZR1 versus GT3 RS