Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Red or Black Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
DrZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red or Black Corvette?

Hey gang, i've been a lurker on this board and finally joined
I can't seem to make my mind up on RED or BLACK!

Pros/Cons?
Black is sinister, and Red is flashy (which my wife doesn't care for). I seriously cant decide. They're both great colors. Should be interesting to hear the opinions.

Edit: should've been in Z06 forum, since thats what I'm getting.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Don't stress yourself. Get the jetstream blue.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
DrZ06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 383vett
Don't stress yourself. Get the jetstream blue.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 PM
toroz06
Racer

Red looks better
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

No! Black is better...... Just a bitch to keep clean...
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Maxx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
No! Black is better...... Just a bitch to keep clean...
I had two red C4's and now have both a black and a yellow C6Z06...

THEY ARE ALL A BE-AICH TO KEEP CLEAN..

But even dirty they are better than anything else out there...

Chris
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Slwsvt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both. IMO, blacked out looks the baddest. However, red is far easier to keep looking sharp. I spent more time cleaning the black, then I did driving her.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:08 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 260 Posts

Had a black Mustang GT, have and getting rid of a black Shelby GT500, wife had a black bmw x5...........so my answer is????

RED !!!! Never, never will I get another black vehicle, so nice when clean but soooo hard to keep clean and scratch/swirl free and believe me, I'm a car nut and clean *****..........my co-workers call me the 'waxman'.

We now own: My white F150 FX2, my wife now has a white bmw X3, and my Z on route to me as I type??? RED !!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had two Vette's, both of them black, but really like most of the color's. If long term resale value's a concern, red, black, silver are top choices. Since in San Antonio, TX, probably stay away from black.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Made a vow to never own black car again after my 77 bandit trans am. Have pretty much kept that vow but do have black talon but its track only car and got it cheap,cheap.

For vette was looking mostly at orange ,yellow and silver with maybe white distant last.I ruled out black and blue. Both look sharp when cleaned both those dark colors are more work to keep clean and do show every single thing. White is nice for not showing water spots which can save a lot of time when washing the car dont' have to worry about drying it off.
Red is nice too but have a lot of red cars in past few years so wanted different color on the vette. I am pretty happy with my silver but still kind of wish had got orange or yellow.
But maybe get a yellow or orange c7 or viper maybe in those colors.

Anyway between black and red I say red. I hope black car guys don't take this the wrong way but the lines of the z06 seem bit lost with black or dark blue. Black can make a car look evil and menacing though. So all depends on what look you are going for. And chrome looks great on black and black and chrome look awesome at night.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm on my second black vette and have no regrets. My first time with black drove me a little crazy. But, this time I have learned to deal with it much better. I have the luxury of a garage and not using it as a daily driver. Wash and dry properly with quality products will be the key to keeping black looking nice. Nothing turns heads more than a clean black vette.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM
ertoys
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALLANB
Made a vow to never own black car again after my 77 bandit trans am. Have pretty much kept that vow but do have black talon but its track only car and got it cheap,cheap.

For vette was looking mostly at orange ,yellow and silver with maybe white distant last.I ruled out black and blue. Both look sharp when cleaned both those dark colors are more work to keep clean and do show every single thing. White is nice for not showing water spots which can save a lot of time when washing the car dont' have to worry about drying it off.
Red is nice too but have a lot of red cars in past few years so wanted different color on the vette. I am pretty happy with my silver but still kind of wish had got orange or yellow.
But maybe get a yellow or orange c7 or viper maybe in those colors.

Anyway between black and red I say red. I hope black car guys don't take this the wrong way but the lines of the z06 seem bit lost with black or dark blue. Black can make a car look evil and menacing though. So all depends on what look you are going for. And chrome looks great on black and black and chrome look awesome at night.

Although Black looks far superior to all colors when freshly detailed, it IS NOT worth the effort in my opinion. I professionally detailed cars for 20+ years (also owned two) and my consensus is no thanks! I'm VERY meticulous and dont want to wash and wax more than I drive. And red is not far behind, these are actually the two hardest colors to keep looking good because the light doesnt really reflect off of them like it does on the lighter colored cars; therefore, they look much dirtier than a light (or brighter) color car would because of the higher reflection of the lighter colors.

As an example, My Z is Atomic orange, my Silverado is White, my work truck is blue, my wifes Grand Prix is cherry. I can have all 4 cleaned at the same time, and the blue and cherry will show significantly more dirt or dust than the others in a matter of an hour or less with them just sitting there so you can only imagine what happens when you actually drive them.

Lastly, given the example above, when it comes to seeing swirl marks from buffing (or waxing incorrectly), they will show much less (from a distance) on lighter colored vehicles again, because of their reflective ability.

This was only to be helpful to the OP, not intended to offend anyone.

Flame suit on..
Old 05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
619grappler
Racer

Originally Posted by ertoys
Although Black looks far superior to all colors when freshly detailed, it IS NOT worth the effort in my opinion. I professionally detailed cars for 20+ years (also owned two) and my consensus is no thanks! I'm VERY meticulous and dont want to wash and wax more than I drive. And red is not far behind, these are actually the two hardest colors to keep looking good because the light doesnt really reflect off of them like it does on the lighter colored cars; therefore, they look much dirtier than a light (or brighter) color car would because of the higher reflection of the lighter colors.

As an example, My Z is Atomic orange, my Silverado is White, my work truck is blue, my wifes Grand Prix is cherry. I can have all 4 cleaned at the same time, and the blue and cherry will show significantly more dirt or dust than the others in a matter of an hour or less with them just sitting there so you can only imagine what happens when you actually drive them.

Lastly, given the example above, when it comes to seeing swirl marks from buffing (or waxing incorrectly), they will show much less (from a distance) on lighter colored vehicles again, because of their reflective ability.

This was only to be helpful to the OP, not intended to offend anyone.

Flame suit on..
I completely agree that black is the hardest to keep clean / maintain. That said, go black!!! Here's a few pix of my baby.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 AM
mac_05evo
Racer

Whichever is cheaper lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Black....all day long. The baddest Zs on this forum are black...just sayin.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Black is badass.
Mine is not my DD, and is covered when not driven, so it needs washing about the same frequency as any other color cars I've had.
I enjoy the occasional weekend morning out in the driveway washing her anyway.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My first Vette was Monterey red. I now have a black one. Oh, how I miss the red! Black requires 4x the maintenance to keep it looking spectacular. Black shows every speck of dust and road dirt even after a five mile trip.

Get notified of new replies

To Red or Black Corvette?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Larry T
Racer

<----<<<<
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

See the Black is awesome but the cons with the black are higher than the pros...

- Very hard to keep clean.
- Every bit of imperfection will be highlighted.
- You are constantly on a search for that magic product to keep it cleaner for that extra half hour.
- All the lines of the car is lost... at night it is very hard to tell if it is a Z or just a C6.

With the red on the other hand...

The pros outweigh the cons... therefore you know what to get now!!

- Flashy and does justification for a car of this caliber.
- Every bit of the character lines are pronounced.
- Women just love them....
- Very visible at night
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've owned 6 vettes. 3 red, 3 black. I prefer the look of black, but only right after it's been zainoed. After that, forget it. And if ANYTHING rubs up against the car, no matter how slight, it will leave a mark. Even using the wrong towel will require you to polish the car again.

If they had made a white Z06 in 09', and it was on the lot like my red one, that would be mine instead.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Red or Black Corvette?