Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone do a mild cam without headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Radguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone do a mild cam without headers?

I'm thinking about doing a mild cam in my '07Z. Something like the LG Executive or the G7X1 cam for a little extra midrange torque for the track. The car is a daily driver so I don't want to compromise driveability and I don't want to change the exhaust loudness. I understand the Executive cam is so small that I can use the stock springs with it. To me that's a bonus as I've heard stories about failures with some of the aftermarket dual springs. I want to be able to install it and forget it. I don't want to have to replace springs and pushrods every year or two.

I realize that headers are a must with the more aggressive cams, but with the smaller ones such as this, will there be a big tradeoff?
Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I am currently researching the same thing. Another option to look at are the Street Bully by Quality Motorsports (Vette-air.com) and the Stalker by Ragin Racin (raginracin.com). I have bought from Shawn at Ragin Racin and have had no complaints. He is very helpful. Have PM'd with Carlos from Vette Air and he is quick to answer my questions.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Almost any cam you decide on will run fine with the Z06 OEM exhaust. However, headers will add torque across the entire RPM band.

You should also consider the Katech Torquer cam.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:01 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just had the Street Bully Cam installed in mine. Haven't had time to dyno the car after the install, but just came back from Watkins Glen where I got to run it pretty hard for at least one session before the rain hit. Car runs and sounds great with the stock exhaust.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I ran cam only (no cold air, headers, heads) for a year on our Z06. It made 518 rwhp with no other mods besides the cam and springs. It added power, but felt lazy down low. With the addition of headers and cold air, it made 555/510 rw. That engine is long gone now and we are currently sporting a Katech 427 (582/555 rw) with their torquer cam. I could not be happier with the results. The cam is a beast down low, but I still get 25+MPG with it. I would not recommend any other cam over the torquer unless you are an all out drag racer.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I ran cam only (no cold air, headers, heads) for a year on our Z06. It made 518 rwhp with no other mods besides the cam and springs. It added power, but felt lazy down low. With the addition of headers and cold air, it made 555/510 rw. That engine is long gone now and we are currently sporting a Katech 427 (582/555 rw) with their torquer cam. I could not be happier with the results. The cam is a beast down low, but I still get 25+MPG with it. I would not recommend any other cam over the torquer unless you are an all out drag racer.
Do you have to worry about emissions testing? I wonder if the torquer cam will pass a sniff test?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was that with the LS7 clutch? If so, how did the car hold up to the 518hp? I may need a new clutch soon and NEVER plan to add headers, but I may do a cam and expect around the same power (which is fine to me). The ZR1 clutch is $1500 in just parts and the Z06 clutch is like $350. If the LS7 clutch could hold 520ish, I would rather just stay with it vs. blowing big dollars on a clutch that holds power I NEVER intend to have. Also my car will never see hard launches at a drag strip, but it will see track days, which I think is less of an issue with slippage as I will never drop it off the line.

Last edited by 95jersey; 05-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Radguy
Racer

Richie,
What was the torque figure for the car before the headers (when it dyno'd at 518 rwhp)? I'd like to know how much of a torque gain you experienced with the headers and CAI.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cdngolfer
Do you have to worry about emissions testing? I wonder if the torquer cam will pass a sniff test?
I do not have to worry about emissions testing, but yes there is sniffer tests in CA. I do not think the torquer would pass based on the specs.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Was that with the LS7 clutch? If so, how did the car hold up to the 518hp? I may need a new clutch soon and NEVER plan to add headers, but I may do a cam and expect around the same power (which is fine to me). The ZR1 clutch is $1500 in just parts and the Z06 clutch is like $350. If the LS7 clutch could hold 520ish, I would rather just stay with it vs. blowing big dollars on a clutch that holds power I NEVER intend to have. Also my car will never see hard launches at a drag strip, but it will see track days, which I think is less of an issue with slippage as I will never drop it off the line.
We drove the car for over a year like that on the stock clutch. Street was usually OK, but any kind of launches or really aggressive driving would make it mad. I was not able to launch at the strip and had to leave very soft or it would stick. I was able to get a few 1.75 short times, but the pedal would usually stick on that or the following run. Auto-x was generally OK, but I did have it stick a couple times then as well. I do not think the LS7 clutch will reliably hold much over stock HP and there are plenty of people having issues even at stock power levels when driven aggressively.

Even for raod courses, I do not like the stock clutch. I had it stick to the floor a few times coming down the front straight at thunderhill. I would not recommend anything other then the LS9r for cars that are 550rwhp of less and want a stock pedal and stock manners. We've installed them on plenty of stock cars and they are fantastic. many of the local road racers also have that clutch and are amazed how well it performs. I understand where you're coming from on not wanting to spend the money, but I would not want to ever have to change the clutch again. A stock clutch assembly will still run you about $450 with a flywheel so the cost diff is about $1k.

If you decide that you want a clutch, I will hook you up.

Originally Posted by Radguy
Richie,
What was the torque figure for the car before the headers (when it dyno'd at 518 rwhp)? I'd like to know how much of a torque gain you experienced with the headers and CAI.
With the cam only numbers is 518/460

We did the cold air first and it rose to 535/478.

Then we added the long tubes and it rose again to 554/510

Here is a graph representing just the addition of long tubes and a re-tune. There are points in the curve that it picked up ~45 lbft and it picked up 19 rwhp and 33 rwtq peak with an average gain of ~20rwhp across the board.

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 05-05-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
dcrocker316
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bolt ons only

I did the Katech air cleaner, LG headers,High flow cats and X-pipe and tune. I put 345/30/19s for grip and don't need any more. 510hp rw is all i need for the street and an occasional track run.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I actually like the engagement and smooth nature of the ls9 clutch over the stock ls7.....it's on my short list of mods.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Radguy
Racer

With the cam only numbers is 518/460

We did the cold air first and it rose to 535/478.

Then we added the long tubes and it rose again to 554/510

Here is a graph representing just the addition of long tubes and a re-tune. There are points in the curve that it picked up ~45 lbft and it picked up 19 rwhp and 33 rwtq peak with an average gain of ~20rwhp across the board.

Wow, 38 HP and 50 lb.ft. of torque with a CAI and headers. That's pretty good! Mine already has a CAI as well as ported stock intake and throttle body. I'll have to reconsider this header thing.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Wow, 38 HP and 50 lb.ft. of torque with a CAI and headers. That's pretty good! Mine already has a CAI as well as ported stock intake and throttle body. I'll have to reconsider this header thing.
Keep in mind that was with a .238/.248 .610/.620 112 cam in the car. You will never see those gains on a stock car.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Radguy
Racer

Keep in mind that was with a .238/.248 .610/.620 112 cam in the car. You will never see those gains on a stock car.
Richie,
I was referring to getting headers when I do a cam install. It seems the gains the headers make might be worth considering doing it-especially if as you reported the cam feels lazy down low--probably suffering some restriction and consequently lower torque.

On a stock vehicle, the consensus is that they don't do much.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Richie,
I was referring to getting headers when I do a cam install. It seems the gains the headers make might be worth considering doing it-especially if as you reported the cam feels lazy down low--probably suffering some restriction and consequently lower torque.

On a stock vehicle, the consensus is that they don't do much.
I completely agree. We were going to run it without headers longer, but I got a deal on some ARH's that I couldn't resist. It was very noticable with an additional ~45 rwtq from 3,500-5,500.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Radguy
Racer

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, I'm sorry, but I'm lacking savvy when it comes to cam specs. How aggressive is the cam you quoted? How does it compare with say the Katech Torquer, or the the Ragin' Racin' Lethal. I quoted the LG Executive and the G7X1 but I don't know the specs on those.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I'm thinking about doing a mild cam in my '07Z. Something like the LG Executive or the G7X1 cam for a little extra midrange torque for the track. The car is a daily driver so I don't want to compromise driveability and I don't want to change the exhaust loudness. I understand the Executive cam is so small that I can use the stock springs with it. To me that's a bonus as I've heard stories about failures with some of the aftermarket dual springs. I want to be able to install it and forget it. I don't want to have to replace springs and pushrods every year or two.

I realize that headers are a must with the more aggressive cams, but with the smaller ones such as this, will there be a big tradeoff?
Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

Depends on what you want to do with the car. The Executive cam is a lot of fun low to mid range power. I've done a few cars with this cam, headers, and cold air and just make a stupid amount of torque...like 410-425 rwtq at 2000 rpm...which is a lot of fun.

The smaller cams do not do so much up in the higher RPM range so if you are going to spin the car a little higher up, maybe something like the X2 or X3 might be more up your alley.

Hit me or one of the guys up here at the shop and we will be more than happy to help figure a good combo out for you.

Anthony

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone do a mild cam without headers?

Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree. We were going to run it without headers longer, but I got a deal on some ARH's that I couldn't resist. It was very noticable with an additional ~45 rwtq from 3,500-5,500.
We all know cam's like long tubes, but my question would be did the cam make less hp anywhere in the RPM range compared to the OEM cam? I can appreciate the long tubes provide that nice torque, but if the the car has the same or more hp at all RMP levels and one only has say $2000 to spend, I am thinking it is worth while...perfect no, but if it makes equal hp at 2000rpm to OEM, but more up top, I would be OK with that for $2000.

Now if you say the cam caused the motor to make less hp than the OEM cam under 3k, but made more above 3k, I would not do the mod as that would not be fun or manageable.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

BTW, I'm sorry, but I'm lacking savvy when it comes to cam specs. How aggressive is the cam you quoted? How does it compare with say the Katech Torquer, or the the Ragin' Racin' Lethal. I quoted the LG Executive and the G7X1 but I don't know the specs on those.
My previous cam was more aggressive then the Torquer. For comparison sakes, the torquer is .220/.244, .615/.648 110. It makes tons of power down low and makes peak HP at only 6,050 rpm. This is nice because it pulls like hell to 6,500 then you shift and it lands dead center in the peak tq and pulls to 6,500 again. Not having to rev it to redline or beyond will make everything last longer. Also, with very little overlap, my fuel mileage is still 26-27mpg, where as the old cam was closer to 20-21mpg.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi

Give the guys at the shop a call and they can help you make your decision.

Remember, just putting a cam in requires much more technical expertise than an exhaust/headers. If the installer makes a small mistake on the exhaust install, all you have is a small leak. BUt if the installer makes a small mistake on the Cam install, you an have real problems.

We have some good dealers in Canada that can help with the install of our products.

And remember, we have a cam for every application and we developed them using all of our connections in the racing business and Comp cams.

I personally would not do just a cam. There are so many other ways to go to get good hp and drivability without ever putting in a cam.
On the other hand, you can put one of our mild cams in -With headers- and if you have npp exhaust, you will never know that you have anything done to the car.

At any rate, give us a call any time to discuss your project.
972-429-1963.

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone do a mild cam without headers?