Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Z06 Ownership Experience So Far...25XX miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My Z06 Ownership Experience So Far...25XX miles

Power: Yes, I am getting used to it, but it's still a freight train and I have no desire to modify it one bit in this department. It pulls decent until it hits 3-3500rpm and then it takes off like a rocket. This coincides with the exhaust opening up and from the dyno's for '11 cars I have seen, that is an instant 10-15whp and 20wtq added to the mix at the time of that event.

Brakes: They are stellar. They also produce stellar amounts of brake dust. I am VERY glad I went with the comp-gray rims, although the brake dust has a reddish/rust hue to it so it isn't completely invisible, it is a lot better than when I drove cars with chrome rims.

Handling: Very crisp. I am still in awe of it. I took a few corners at fun speeds (not stupid, fun) and was rewarded. The car rode over a few ripples in the road and stayed glued. Now granted I'm not God's gift to auto X, but I was impressed. It was probably a .5-7G turn on the HUD, although I wasn't looking.
I have noted the ride is a bit harsh, however, when I set my tires to the 30psi COLD that they are to be at, it smoothed out a good bit. The difference between 33-35psi and 30psi is massive. It now rides firm, but not punishing.

Interior: It looks a bit dated, but it is functional and comfortable. Two schools of thought can apply here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and "We can always make it better." I am noticing a couple of little minor squeaks and creaks going over rail-road tracks. I imagine it's par for the course, though, with any lighter car made of composites. I have never had a car that rode any quieter, but to say that it is a tomb inside is false. I didn't buy a Rolls and I understand this--other sports car owners should, too.

Comfort: The seats are just fine. I don't like a ton of shoulder bolster because it makes me "hunch" as it crowds my shoulders. I'm 5'10.5" and 185# and have 22" shoulders, so I am not a huge guy, but I still have had issues with this in EVO's, SRT4's, and other heavily bolstered seats. I like the seats in my Z just fine except a bit more hip support would be nice, but not necessary for MY driving style. If I did HPDE's, I would change the seats out as my first mod.

Road noise is sometimes very loud, depending on the surface. Every tire has a surface that just gets along bad with its tread-design regarding noise. With the G:2's, it's concrete with the little "traction" grooves in it every centimeter or so. These things ROAR on that. However, any tire you pick will have an issue with SOME surface, and these tires are MASSIVE, and the car is lightweight and has minimal insulation to facilitate that. If it bothers you, install a Blocker mat or something. I don't find it anything but a product of the cars design, and it's not bothersome on anything but the surfaces that the tires don't get along with.

Exterior: I still love it, it's not nearly as big as it felt at first. It's actually a very small car in all but width. I have also never in 2500 miles scraped the bottom of it, and if you angle properly, you won't either. I live in Louisiana, in a town known for crap roads. If I don't have issues, you either are doing it wrong, of you bought a completely out-of-place vehicle for your road system.

Operation: Driving in weather from 30*-90*, the transmission has shifted wonderfully. Not a single cold nibble or anything of the sort. It is a bit stiff when cold/not warmed up, but that is the same whether it is 30* or 90* out. It's just a fact of life that things with oil in them don't work as well cold as at operating temperature. It does seem to have a bit of resistance, or a slight "bump" going into second gear at lower rpm that some people would call "notchiness", but my T56 did this, too. It's a durable transmission with heavy internals and it takes a bit to move them at times. I consider it normal for a gearbox that is rated for the kind of torque this one is.

The clutch is wonderful. It took time to learn its engagement point, etc. but that is any car. I am very pleased with it, and it is light as all get out. I could drive it in traffic all day and not complain a bit.

There is a rocks in the coffee can rattle when taking off at low rpms unless you slip the clutch a lot more than I like to, say, from 1800rpm or so (I normally take off at about 9-1200). I have been told this is 100% normal and just a quirk of the design. Before someone says "Torque tube resonance", my WS6 did this too, to a lesser extent. I think the acoustics of the enclosed driveline just make it more prominent in the 'vette.

The headlights are absurd. The tint is PERFECT for outdoor objects in the low 4000K range, and I would imagine the CRI is above 75. It is a very good tint,etc.

The steering feels great. Nice weight to it at speed, very precise.

The ergonomics are spot-on, and nothing "grates" at me such as where I place my elbow, or anything like that.

The sound-system is okay. I got the 1LZ package. However, when you turn the base up on the equalizer, it sounds like crap and there is a lot of resonance. Keep the base turned down to the half-way (default) setting, and you're okay. To me, this is something I would call a design flaw, GM seems to have made strides toward this for '12, but it wasn't the speaker, it is the way things are put together that is causing the resonance/vibration with the base. I doubt the changes for '12 will impact this in the slightest. This is a design issue, not a speaker issue.

The HUD is cool, but I only look at it when my Valentin 1 goes off and the Dashtronix throws the info there and on the DIC.

*Points of interest

*The F1 G:2 tires, even in 90* weather, will step out on you if you do not warm them up by driving around a bit first. When the pressure goes up a couple PSI, you are okay. Before then, even 2nd gear they can get loose on you in the upper rpms. However, after warming them up, they hook very good until the top of first (even in 1st they will hook good on good pavement), and that is it. They dead hook everywhere else in every other gear/powerband point. I turned the TC off today and had some fun, and the car stayed glued on shifts, etc. These tires somehow got a bad name that they don't deserve. They do very well. The best? I doubt it, but they are certainly not the hockey-pucks this forum would have you believe.

*I got 20.9mpg manually calculated over the last 162 miles I drove. Mainly romping about on the freeway/on-off ramps, etc. I am very impressed. I think on a straight cruise, it would hit over the rated 24mpg.

*The car has drawn half a dozen comments in 2500 miles and a few months. It is not a car for you if you want to be a celebrity. That would be the Viper. This is just fine with me. NOONE has tried to race it in all seriousness. Sure, some soccer mom in an Accord was winking at me and gunning it, but she was just playing and it was obvious that she knew it. I have rolled past SRT8's, Mustang's, Camaro SS's, etc. None of them acknowledged my presence, and I didn't taunt or bother them, either.

*I am VERY! picky about certain things. Oil usage is one of them. I had the oil changed at 5XX miles, and the car now has 25XX miles. The oil level was a bit down before the original change, and the exhaust tips a bit dirty. I think the rings were being seated, as now the tips never look like that, and the oil level has bisected the top hole on the dip-stick at exactly the same place when checked on the same ground at the same time and same oil-temp. In 2000 miles with a bit of romping around, it has not moved 1mm on that dipstick.

*My Ventureshield Ultra wrap has already taken a few hits and has some marks on it. Wow. Get it done, and you WILL save your paint some dings.

I have included a video of my LS7 idling. This is how it has always sounded and what I consider normal. AC is on. These are all-aluminum engines of pushrod design, sound resonates VERY well through an all aluminum engine, and I find this engine to be very quiet all things considered looking at the design of it. My LS1's lifters sounded like rocks in a coffee can on slow revs to 2200 and idling back down. This car does that a little bit, but not as much. It's just the way it's made. My LS1 lasted 150K miles and going strong, and I sold the car at that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r47sgA8BKvQ

To sum all of this up, my former roommate asked me "Man, does it ever bother you about what you pay a month for a note to own that?" (He was not being rude, he is considering buying a Z06/GT500/E92 M3, something similar, and wants to know how it feels after the fact).

My answer to him was "Not in the least, in fact, I find myself wondering if my bank would have laughed me out of there if I had tried for a Zr1 instead..."

I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, and highly recommend the car AS LONG AS YOU UNDERSTAND THE IDIOSYNCRASY OF A CAR LIKE THE Z06!

The only "buyer's remorse" I have is having not done this sooner. The car is Prozac on wheels. I can hop in it and feel like complete crap about everything else and in 5 minutes be smiling like a lunatic.

Last edited by BSSN; 05-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

The "rocks in a coffee can" or as I've heard it put "marbles in a can" sound that you are referring to, can you elaborate on that a bit more? I think I am getting thus sound quite often but then again I'm not so sure. I wouldn't describe my sound as a "rattle" more like a lugging scraping sound when in 1st gear and others at low rpms. I guess when I hear rocks in a coffee can I'm thinking of a big empty metal can with a few rocks in it....i guess what i need to know is how many rocks or marbles are in that damn can!!...I can't believe I just asked that lmao...thanks for the write up though...spot on! I've got just 750 miles on mine, I think I bought mine a few weeks before you did...Oh well you'll have a long ways to go before you catch what I have on my odo!

Edit: I totally agree with you on the power front. These cars are insane in stock form. I can understand why some would want more power, just like a billionaire wanting more money, but there's just no way in hell those performance gains to me are worth the headache of a modded car. I took my car down to a local performance corvette shop last week...they tried to sell me a heads and cam package, a ported TB, and a CAI and tune ...told me to come back when I was ready...sure...

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 05-04-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Must be butter, cause you're on a roll.

Yes, the Z06, is an awesome piece of machinery.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

"The only "buyer's remorse" I have is having not done this sooner. The car is Prozac on wheels. I can hop in it and feel like complete crap about everything else and in 5 minutes be smiling like a lunatic."

Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<---- 36K miles and enjoying every mile of it! Thank you for the writeup--looks like you're ready to join the Corvette Challenge! If you're in SoCal, stop by and say hi. -pp
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
The "rocks in a coffee can" or as I've heard it put "marbles in a can" sound that you are referring to, can you elaborate on that a bit more? I think I am getting thus sound quite often but then again I'm not so sure. I wouldn't describe my sound as a "rattle" more like a lugging scraping sound when in 1st gear and others at low rpms. I guess when I hear rocks in a coffee can I'm thinking of a big empty metal can with a few rocks in it....i guess what i need to know is how many rocks or marbles are in that damn can!!...I can't believe I just asked that lmao...thanks for the write up though...spot on! I've got just 750 miles on mine, I think I bought mine a few weeks before you did...Oh well you'll have a long ways to go before you catch what I have on my odo!
Maybe for you I should describe the sound as a bunch of rocks in a coffee can being stirred with a stick or set on a running engine-manifold or something to vibrate them. It only happens during the occasions you describe. So far the best guess I have heard is that it is a harmonic issue within the T56 and now the TR6060 themselves. Either way, it's harmless and "the nature of the beast".
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Get the Block-it! For your Z-06 from forum Vendor TKO! To lessen the road noise and it lets you hear the stereo alot better too!
I went about a month before adding my A&A kit and ARH 1 7/8's
headers tied to the factory catback. 600rwhp 580rwtq fully
heat soaked. It takes your car to another level. I'm just changing the blower to a NOVI 1500sl.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Get the Block-it! For your Z-06 from forum Vendor TKO! To lessen the road noise and it lets you hear the stereo alot better too!
I went about a month before adding my A&A kit and ARH 1 7/8's
headers tied to the factory catback. 600rwhp 580rwtq fully
heat soaked. It takes your car to another level. I'm just changing the blower to a NOVI 1500sl.
I don't really plan on modding this car. It is my opinion that GM balanced everything VERY well from the factory, and gaining one thing would just cost another unless I wanted to dump a LOT! of money into this. I don't. It does just fine as it came.

That being said, I did do a few things:

-Lloyd Z06 floor mats
-Ventureshield Ultra
-30% Pinnacle F1 Ceramic tint all around and a 5% brow
-Dashtronix
-Valentine 1

Basically, all stuff that can be easily removed except the tint, which is perfect, and shouldn't hamper resale one bit if I ever got the itch to go with a ZR1 later on or something. Also, my 5/100 powertrain and 7/70 Bumper to Bumper are intact!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Maybe for you I should describe the sound as a bunch of rocks in a coffee can being stirred with a stick or set on a running engine-manifold or something to vibrate them. It only happens during the occasions you describe. So far the best guess I have heard is that it is a harmonic issue within the T56 and now the TR6060 themselves. Either way, it's harmless and "the nature of the beast".
Thanks...that's what I'm hearing. It's an ugly sound...makes the car feel cheap IMO.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Thanks...that's what I'm hearing. It's an ugly sound...makes the car feel cheap IMO.
For the performance, it is cheap. It's a well built car, though. I was very impressed with watching them build mine in BG. Sure, they could have spent tons of money to design a system that wouldn't make that rattle, but all that R&D and tooling cost adds to the price. I would rather have the quirks of the TR6060 and pay what I paid than not have the rattle and a few other things and end up paying 6-figures.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Rocks in a coffee can are normal in the C6 Z. Great car. Loved both of mine for the 50K I drove them.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Zogman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think that rocks in the coffee can is the throw-out bearing. I'm only saying. Great write-up. I've had mine now 4 months and I dig every minute of it. Can't wait to get some real tires on there though.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zogman
Personally, I think that rocks in the coffee can is the throw-out bearing. I'm only saying. Great write-up. I've had mine now 4 months and I dig every minute of it. Can't wait to get some real tires on there though.
Good a guess as any. It's normal and I'm not losing any sleep over it, though!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
ALLANB
Pro

I did review on my 08 that got few weeks ago . Agree on most of your points.
Power decent ,it helps the car is light.I have a twin turbo 99 trans am getting a 427 into it this year that is crazier but its heavier as well by 1000 pounds. So need 100 more in my 99TT to be at around same power and weight as the z06. But the 99TT can do over 1000 hp not that can hook that up anyway.
Brakes are very good. Handling is very good. Ride is firm but find since the car is very tight that dont' mind too much. It rides great on good roads. Took it on 500 mile highway trip to bring it home and no compaints ,it was mostly good highway.
I have ordered Bridgestone run flats to cut tire noise ,improve ride and traction.I wanted to stay with run flat tires.
I may get the non coil over phadt adjustable shocks at some point see how things go,moving to city with much better roads next spring. Don't need coilovers dont' want to play with ride height. Even the bilstein or custom bilstein might do the job but really not complaining that much about the ride.Expect it to be a bit firm in car like this.
Interior. My 3lz looks pretty darn nice to me. I have the 08 carbon fiber center dash piece and ordered some more matching cf pieces. Will maybe leave a few brushed aluminum pieces just for contrast. Got Llyod mats also and got block it kit.. be installing those today likely.
May get further sound insulation see how it goes.
Stereo my bose is ok not sure if its same as 11 bose . I use the equalizer it helps,agree dont try to push the bass too much. I may add subthump plate and dual subs and amp. Keep stock head unit. The highs and mids seem ok to me. So likely leave speakers alone.If did upgrade likely go with infinity speakers but maybe mtx for subs.

Looks... I think the car is perfect but doing some little cosmetic mods . Do some underhood stuff likely red cf on the engine covers black cf for few other pieces, maybe some billet caps and underhood z06/ flag blanket thing.. Maybe cf cold air not sure if want to do any engine mods as do have the extended warranty so afraid to do any tuning. Maybe leave it stock until warranty is up in 5 years or so then do edelbrock blower to get zr1 power level out of it.

Other mods am doing are led exterior /interior light kit,stainless bolt kit, led back up lights,sequential tail light flasher and third brake light pulser. Doing cf back spoiler and door handles not sure if doing cf front splitter ,side skirts and back diffuser. Got laser mesh back exhaust filler to install shortly.Matching lasermesh plate holder. And got z06 emblem for back bump,stainless fill in bumper letters and 427 gm hood emblems.
Might get led tailights and maybe led mirrors.Might get racemesh front grill and side grills but cant' decide if want polished stainless or black chrome.

So as said mostly cosmetic mods on mine. Oh yeah a mild to wild mod and nav mod has been ordered as well.

Your car looks sweet. I think our colors do let you go under the radar a bit. Sometimes seems my car gets tons of attention and sometimes not. To really get attention think go with red, orange or yellow. those colors especially the last two should really get noticed.
I don't personally like what happens to the lines of the car with black or dark blue. To me the lighter colors silver, white really bring out the lines with red,orange and yellow doing pretty good as well in that department. but have /had too many red cars and never had a silver car. Not unhappy with my choice.

Enjoy your car.They are not perfect but pretty darn close!
I have not really noticed much marbles in an can noises from my trans. I do usually have stereo up there in volume and do usually have heater fan on to noise mask in most vehicles I drive. Block it and llyods mats might help that too.
I do notice my car does shift notchier when cold. Into second is worst. Was thinking to maybe try different fluid.

Last edited by ALLANB; 05-05-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Radguy
Racer

Originally Posted by BearZ06
"The only "buyer's remorse" I have is having not done this sooner. The car is Prozac on wheels. I can hop in it and feel like complete crap about everything else and in 5 minutes be smiling like a lunatic."

AMEN TO THAT!!

I believe there are a lot of us with this bipolar personality disorder around.

"Honestly doc, it's the car's fault!!"
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I love my Z06... it is probably the best car decision I have made... and I bought 15+ cars over the course of last 20 years...

Get notified of new replies

To My Z06 Ownership Experience So Far...25XX miles

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Iceman427
Pro

I know you said you don't want to mod it for warranty and resale reasons, but an intake, longtubes and small street cam (with tune of course) REALLY wake the LS7 up. I bought an older one so I didn't have to worry about the warranty, and I don't plan on selling ANYTIME soon. I love this car, and love it even more with some performance mods
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Iceman3K15
I know you said you don't want to mod it for warranty and resale reasons, but an intake, longtubes and small street cam (with tune of course) REALLY wake the LS7 up. I bought an older one so I didn't have to worry about the warranty, and I don't plan on selling ANYTIME soon. I love this car, and love it even more with some performance mods
If/when the car is no-longer fast enough for me, then it will be time to consider a ZR1 or other options. I believe in a balanced approach, and 505bhp is what the Z06 was designed to handle. Any more and you need to re-do the entire car from the suspension up unless you want to start trading attributes off, such as "more power, but doesn't stop as fast comparatively" or "Hooks better, but won't corner as crisp". Etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You will appreciate your sound system more once you sit in a Z with Nav system...it sucks, and the base system with the 6 disc in dash changer is so much better...seriously.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Z06 Ownership Experience So Far...25XX miles