Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Exhaust Flap Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Slow Poke
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Most likely the cheap solenoid failed. Its located on the rear passanger tail light area. Just remove both passenger tail lights for easy viewing. You'll need a 10mm socket to remove the stud holding it on the bumper. Just remove the electrical connect and the two vac hoses. Should only take about 10 minutes taking your time. The part costs about $50-60.00 online.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipmtim
Most likely there is no problem with the vacuum lines, they're heavy plastic tubes.
I had my solenoid go bad, I don't have the P/N handy but it was $60.
There also is a control module next to the battery that controls (duh) the solenoid.
Some guys have changed out the solenoid through the tail lights, but its doing it blind. I'm like a bull in a china shop so I removed the rear valence to get to it.
To check if its the solenoid or the control module, disconnect the plug at the solenoid and start the car, check for votage at the solenoid, if you have power then its the solenoid.
Tim
I have had the tail lights out and I would agree that it seems like it would be hard to replace the solenoid. Not much room. How hard is it to remove the rear valence? I assume you mean the entire rear piece that holds the 4 tail lights.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Actually it is a PIA. you need to remove the inner wheel wells, loosen the mufflers, then remove the lower valence and rear valence.
I am lucky that I have a lift, I wouldn't want to do it on the ground.
Now that I've done it before I might try it through the tail lights.
The solenoid is really slid onto a bracket that is bolted to the bumper support. I left the bracket in place.
I have the old part, I'll try to take pics to explain tonight.
If Slow Poke can do it in 10 min's I'd drive the car to him and have him change it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The solenoid is not that difficult to replace. You just have to take out both right rear tail lights so you can see down in there hand have extra room to move around. I turned on a flash light and set it down in behind the valence so I could see a little better and the whole thing was no problem. I took my time and it probably took 25 minutes start to finish.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06
The solenoid is not that difficult to replace. You just have to take out both right rear tail lights so you can see down in there hand have extra room to move around. I turned on a flash light and set it down in behind the valence so I could see a little better and the whole thing was no problem. I took my time and it probably took 25 minutes start to finish.
What is the trick to getting the cover off that appears to cover it? I tried pulling on it and it did not want to come off. There appeared to be some sort of plastic plug holding the cover down. I pried with a screwdriver and it did not want to come up. I was a little hesitatant to apply too much force because I am just not sure what I am looking at down in there.

If anyone has any pictures it would be great.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just went and took tail lights out to look. I guess I didn't put the clip back on that holds the little cover down.. What I remember is that, I put my fingers under the left side of the cover where it sits on the threaded stud that sticks up. Then I pulled straight up on it until it released. Try to slide the hard plastic hose to the front or disconnect the hose from the solenoid. You can give me a call if you want. I have mine opened up still so if need be I could go back through it with you. Nick
Old 06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default exhaust solenoid

I have the same problem. Just bought a Z06 with B&B bullets (too loud with cam and headers) and went back to factory exhaust (still has drone). Removing the solenoid was easy after removing the tail lights. There is a plastic cover that you have to pry off (it's easy if you use a trim removal tool that looks like a fork). With the engine on, I measured 14 volts on the connector and there was vacuum coming from the tank. Part number is 25794610, which PartsTaxi sells for $44.50. Currently, I have it bypass so the butterfly valves are always closed until the part arrives. I also installed and positioned a small hose clamp on the butterfly valve shaft so that it's not fully closed, like a quarter way open so you can still hear a little rumble when idle.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htvette
I have the same problem. Just bought a Z06 with B&B bullets (too loud with cam and headers) and went back to factory exhaust (still has drone). Removing the solenoid was easy after removing the tail lights. There is a plastic cover that you have to pry off (it's easy if you use a trim removal tool that looks like a fork). With the engine on, I measured 14 volts on the connector and there was vacuum coming from the tank. Part number is 25794610, which PartsTaxi sells for $44.50. Currently, I have it bypass so the butterfly valves are always closed until the part arrives. I also installed and positioned a small hose clamp on the butterfly valve shaft so that it's not fully closed, like a quarter way open so you can still hear a little rumble when idle.

When you removed the old one, what trick did you use to get the vacuum line coming from the bottom off? Any suggestions?
Old 06-27-2015, 03:10 PM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

this is what it look like when you buy it from chevrolet, I believe it was around $40 << I could be wrong

1st step, while its running (and the exhaust is supposed to be closed) unplug 1 on the vac lines going to the actuator on the mufflers and put your thumb over the line and see if the other closes, if it does you have a torn diaphragm in that muffler. if nothing happens plug it back in and do the same with the other diaphragm. if nothing happens again then there is a problem. next go under the hood while the car is off and unplug the vac line next to the fuel line, if you hear a "psssshhh" then the lines are ok and its holding vacuum. then i would replace the solenoid that's behind the pass tail lights.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

You guys do realize this thread is 4 years old....
Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 AM
mewalker2
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Likecars
When you removed the old one, what trick did you use to get the vacuum line coming from the bottom off? Any suggestions?
It was a bit of a pain, but you have to try to twist the rubber connector and pull at the same time to break that seal. I actually had to use some pliers to twist the connector and ended up ripping it, but it came off! Got a new rubber connector at Autozone for a couple dollars. It wasn't an OEM replacement but it did fit. Be sure to remove both tail lights so you can use two hands.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
You guys do realize this thread is 4 years old....
Yes, thanks, amazing what the search function provides. Are you also one of those people that would have told me to use the search button had I started another thread?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you thought you were helping.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Originally Posted by mewalker2
It was a bit of a pain, but you have to try to twist the rubber connector and pull at the same time to break that seal. I actually had to use some pliers to twist the connector and ended up ripping it, but it came off! Got a new rubber connector at Autozone for a couple dollars. It wasn't an OEM replacement but it did fit. Be sure to remove both tail lights so you can use two hands.
Thanks for a helpful reply. After an undisclosed amount of time, I thought about warming it up, put a blow dryer on it and off it came!

Good to know I can get a replacement connector, if required.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Likecars
Instructor

Originally Posted by v8sten
this is what it look like when you buy it from chevrolet, I believe it was around $40 << I could be wrong

1st step, while its running (and the exhaust is supposed to be closed) unplug 1 on the vac lines going to the actuator on the mufflers and put your thumb over the line and see if the other closes, if it does you have a torn diaphragm in that muffler. if nothing happens plug it back in and do the same with the other diaphragm. if nothing happens again then there is a problem. next go under the hood while the car is off and unplug the vac line next to the fuel line, if you hear a "psssshhh" then the lines are ok and its holding vacuum. then i would replace the solenoid that's behind the pass tail lights.
Thanks, I checked out several threads and did some troubleshooting. I wanted to try an d replace this one part before taking it to the dealer. Tired of the highway drone.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes, thanks, amazing what the search function provides. Are you also one of those people that would have told me to use the search button had I started another thread?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you thought you were helping.
You use the search button to try and find an answer to your question, and then if you don't find an answer to your question (and there isn't a recent thread about your question), according to forum rules, you are supposed to start a new thread. If you aren't aware of forum posting rules, then maybe you should review them.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Likecars
Instructor

You obviously have nothing useful to add so go away. The photo was exactly what I needed to reference the hose location on the solenoid.

You must be proud of your contribution to the thread.

Have a great day.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,069 Posts

The fact that you're asking questions on a 4 year old thread demonstrates you're clueless regarding how the forums work. Instead you'd rather get your panties in a bind and act like a two year old.

dmuellenberg tried to help you out with a little forum guidance and you act like a class A D*ck.

Way to garner support. I'm sure all kinds of people will be willing to help now.

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
You use the search button to try and find an answer to your question, and then if you don't find an answer to your question (and there isn't a recent thread about your question), according to forum rules, you are supposed to start a new thread. If you aren't aware of forum posting rules, then maybe you should review them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust Flap Solenoid