Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by toroz06
I like the 4.10 idea, the clutch and the dyno tune what about the fast intake or ported intake and TB?
By all means add the proper size fast intake or port yours (will work fine have someone like Vengenance Racing or Raging Racing do it), and add a ported throttle body, and with 4.10s, battle tested clutch, new dyno tune by a reputable LSx professional and sticky tires, and I guarantee you as long as the driver can drive, you will have a consistent 10 second machine!

Here you go, Ragin Racing even has a sale going on for the ported fast 102 and matching ported throttle body, perfect to give you that extra edge you need (along with the 4.10 gears) to deal with that oppressive FLA heat. Oh yeah, get a 160 stat and have your tuner have your fans come on earlier, and keep your car runnin COOLER at the track, as you will CERTAINLY need that when drag racing in that FLA heat, as these car REALLY PULL TIMING and lose lots of power when HOT!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...b-package.html

Now when you say you want a car that anyone can drive and run 10s, that is impossible and you would need an automatic for that (and still no guarantees with auto trans), b/c going 10s no matter how much power or fast your car, is never an EASY feat with a manual tranny, and will take practice and experiecne. There are many car guys who have even gone down the 1/4 mile b/f with a fast car. In a true 9 second manual trans car, those guys could easily run 12s & 13s in that same 9 sec. car, b/c they don't know how to drive to put the power to the ground, how to launch, how to shift, hitting the right shift points, etc.

BEST OF LUCK to you, the above is a winning proven forumla for your car to a proven 10 second performer, assuming you can drive well!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-26-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by PureSwank
Stock z06 with slicks. All you need to hit tens is a driver mod and experience.

Lets get real here, only 7 guys (can count them on both hands) on this entire forum have done that, and they are GREAT drivers, and also had optimal conditions (and most at sea level) to run those times.

These cars are FAST and incredible performers, yes, but he wants a consistent 10.xx car, which means he needs to step up with the bolt on mods suggested in these thread to have a CONSISTENT 10 second performer. Not a Z that only Ranger, or Dr. Ron, or Jamie Furman, or C5 Frank, can run once in a while under OPTIMAL conditions and at the right sea level.

C5 Frank also lives in FLA, and ask him how much practice and how many times it took him to accomplish in the INCREDIBLE task of running 10s on a stock C6 Z, with stickies. THe OP lives in FLA also and you can ask C5 Frank what type of PERFECT weather conditions in the wintertime in FLA it took him to accomplish this awesome result that he was trying for years to accomplish, and TRUST me, that man can drive!!!

I mean CHIT, even Fartpipe with his stock Z who lives near MIR, one of the fastest tracks in the Country, could only manage a very, very low 11.0x et, on a stock Z with drag radials, and that man can OBVIOUSLY drive the pants off his Z06, having gone 10.3x with bolt ons and drag radials!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Be happy you don't live in Utah. The DA at our track is usually about 6,000 feet. Mid-low 12's are good here with your setup.

Last edited by sublime1996525; 04-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
DriftKing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Lets get real here, only 7 guys (can count them on both hands) on this entire forum have done that, and they are GREAT drivers, and also had optimal conditions to run those times.

These cars are FAST and incredible performers, yes, but he wants a consistent 10.xx car, which means he needs to step up with the bolt on mods suggested in these thread to have a CONSISTENT 10 second performer.

Not a Z that only Ranger, or Dr. Ron, or Jamie Furman, or C5 Frank, can run once in a while under OPTIMAL conditions and at the right sea level. C5 Frank also lives in FLA, and asking him how much practice and how many times it took him to accomplish in the INCREDIBLE task of running 10s on a stock C6 Z, with stickies. THe OP lives in FLA also and you can ask C5 Frank what type of PERFECT weather conditions in the wintertime in FLA it took him to accomplish this awesome result that he was trying for years to accomplish, and TRUST me, that man can drive!!!

I mean CHIT, even fartpipe with his stock Z who lives near MIR, one of the fastest tracks in the Country, could only manage a very, very low 11.0x et, on a stock Z with drag radials, and that man can OBVIOUSLY drive the pants off his Z06, having gone 10.3x with bolt ons and drag radials!
100%, very well said, as usual, Jimmy!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Alot of good advice in here. Meet up with Frank and practice.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, once a driver learns to run consistent 1.6X 60' and to make a good 1-2 shift in the racing groove, producing a 3.00 or better 60'-330' incremental, then 10-second passes stock-on-DRs become pretty routine in less than optimal conditions.

I've run 10s in six different calendar months, Mar, Apr, May, Oct, Nov and Dec. Believe that Jamie Furman and Dr.Ron have similar experiences.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a Z that only Ranger, or Dr. Ron, or Jamie Furman, or C5 Frank, can run once in a while under OPTIMAL conditions and at the right sea level. C5 Frank also lives in FLA, and asking him how much practice and how many times it took him to accomplish in the INCREDIBLE task of running 10s on a stock C6 Z, with stickies. THe OP lives in FLA also and you can ask C5 Frank what type of PERFECT weather conditions in the wintertime in FLA it took him to accomplish this awesome result that he was trying for years to accomplish, and TRUST me, that man can drive!!!

I mean CHIT, even fartpipe with his stock Z who lives near MIR, one of the fastest tracks in the Country, could only manage a very, very low 11.0x et, on a stock Z with drag radials, and that man can OBVIOUSLY drive the pants off his Z06, having gone 10.3x with bolt ons and drag radials!
Thanks for the accolades Jimmy! It was a long road to the 10s for me here in S.FL. But 2 years and 28 passes on DR and the right weather.... it finally came. I had lots of advise along the way from all the other guys you mentioned above. It is my belief that I can not only repeat the 10.9 pass, but even improve it. I also think it is possible to run 10s stock in nonideal conditions. But, I have yet to do it....so it's just hot air until I do. I might hit the track here soon with the currrent hot weather to see what is possible!!
To address your comment about there being just 7 of us that ran 10s stock.... My buddy in just 8 passes with his new Z got down to 11teens. He had some help from Ranger and myself. I know he'll be knocking on the 10 second door soon! It's not rocket science, just need to practice!
Take it easy.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Actually, once a driver learns to run consistent 1.6X 60' and to make a good 1-2 shift in the racing groove, producing a 3.00 or better 60'-330' incremental, then 10-second passes stock-on-DRs become pretty routine in less than optimal conditions.

I've run 10s in six different calendar months, Mar, Apr, May, Oct, Nov and Dec. Believe that Jamie Furman and Dr.Ron have similar experiences.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ranger
Hey Ranger.... I am thinking about trying to see what I can run in this current weather..... What you think?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5 Frank
Hey Ranger.... I am thinking about trying to see what I can run in this current weather..... What you think?
Only one way to find out, Frank.

What's different about Florida, even more so South FL, is the dew point=70s. As evening air temps drop, they can approach the dew point, meaning near saturation. That can put dew on the cars and the racing surface, adversely affecting traction. So you'd want to watch the predicted dew point.

Good luck.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So.. what type of roll cage u using?

Step ONE for 10's: Get a roll cage.

I hear of all these GT-R running low 11's and 10's, but I never see one with a roll cage either. They just doing one pass and getting kicked off the drag strip?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by blaine123

I hear of all these GT-R running low 11's and 10's, but I never see one with a roll cage either. They just doing one pass and getting kicked off the drag strip?
Plenty of good tracks across the Country, obviously not enforcing NHRA tech rules, where a roll bar is not needed to run in the low 11s and high 10s. I don't believe Ranger has put a Roll Bar, or worse yet, a Roll Cage, in his C6 Z, do you Ranger?

Something tells me that the drag strip the OP (orginal poster) went to when he ran 11.3x didn't kick him off the track (with no roll bar or roll cage), is that right OP?

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 05-15-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blaine123

Enforcement of the sub-11.50 rule, common to the NHRA and IHRA sanctioning bodies, is uneven track to track. Some enforce it rigorously, others don't.

Few owners of C5/C6 or GTR street cars want to cut up their cars for a roll-bar or roll-cage that heightens the risk of a head injury on the street. A helmetless collision on the street is dramatically more likely than a hemet-on incident at the track.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Enforcement of the sub-11.50 rule, common to the NHRA and IHRA sanctioning bodies, is uneven track to track. Some enforce it rigorously, others don't.

Few owners of C5/C6 or GTR street cars want to cut up their cars for a roll-bar or roll-cage that heightens the risk of a head injury on the street. A helmetless collision on the street is dramatically more likely than a hemet-on incident at the track.

Ranger
I was wondering about this. I wouldn't want to cut up my car either. 5pt roll cage is the biggest I want in my car.

The NHRA rules regarding roll cages needs to be updated for the new cars which can easily blow the doors off the 11.5 mark showroom stock.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Ranger
Let me add that for the same reason stated by Ranger above, I would bet that out of the seven C6 Z guys on the fast drag race list here, that have gone into the 10s on drag radials tires, I don't believe anyone of them have installed a roll bar or a roll cage (BIG difference) in their Zs.

If I'm wrong maybe one has at the most but I doubt it, b/c these are not their dedicated drag race cars, but their beautiful C6 Zs that they enjoy on the street with good weather, that they have had enough practice and driving skill to get into the 10s (with stickies) when they take it the dragstrip for some legal fun!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...I don't believe Ranger has put a Roll Bar, or worse yet, a Roll Cage, in his C6 Z, do you Ranger?

No roll-bar in my car and none planned.

Most tracks on race-days are aggressive at enforcing the 11.50 rule. Less so at T&T. And very lenient at rentals, assuming the host is known to track officials as a responsible individual.

Ranger
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

No roll-bar in my car and none planned.

Most tracks on race-days are aggressive at enforcing the 11.50 rule. Less so at T&T. And very lenient at rentals, assuming the host is known to track officials as a responsible individual.

Ranger
Exactly!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by toroz06
I never being in other track but osw. But I feel that the track is well pre. maybe I'm wrong
I didn't like it at all when I was out there. Too much wheel hop or spinning at that track.

Get notified of new replies

To looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

First congrats on the good runs and having fun... To me the FUN is by far the most important

Yes the stock C6Z is capable of 10's being driven to near perfection, on great track prep, good weather, low on fuel, right drag radial choice, engine coolant temps kept consistant and helps with hot lapping. I ran 11.09 with my car bone stock with DR's on a very nice cool day at Cecil County Dragway which is a fast track on I think it was less than 5 passes on the car. I went back but either track prep/driver/stock clutch/weather got in the way.

If you want to run consistantly in the 10's I think your best mod will be a CLUTCH!!!!!!! You will find that being able to launch more aggressively, shift harder, put the power down you will find your groove. I think thats the only mod I would recommend to you with maybe a good tune from a reputable shop near you. Then just drive the car, improve yourself and it will become easy.

Lots of good information in here but making the stock clutch last is difficult for many drivers. I was able to with bolt ons get consistant 1.6x 60fts and a 1.58 60ft with it. My stock clutch didnt like my driving technique. Could I change yes. Did my car drop .3 almost with just a clutch change YUP!!!! Monster Stage 3 best bang for you buck clutch that is proven to work!!! Just hit up PRE-Z06 on here and he will make you happy.

In the mean time talk with C5 Frank, Ranger, Joe G from Florida and get you on the right track. Theres ChameleonT/A on here that has a Monster stage 3 clutch with less mods than you running 7.0x's in the heat with a intake and tune also. He can tell you first hand with a little coaching and watching what those that are doing what you want to do makes a big difference IMO.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Be happy you don't live in Utah. The DA at our track is usually about 6,000 feet. Mid-low 12's are good here with your setup.
but still with his mods and a nice 60ft he should run high 11s. I ran 11.7@120 with a sh*tty 60ft of 1.88. I only had headers/cai and the car wasnt tuned for those mods. DA was almost 6300. its all about the driver, mods, and conditions.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats the OP. Those times are very respectable for your mods. As stated by several others, the best mod is the driver mod. This gave me my biggest gain. With that being said, here is a list of our mods that can give you a solid 10 second car in just about any conditions.

C6Z Bolt-Ons Only
1 7/8" American Racing Headers
Vette-Air
Ported TB & FAST LSXR 102 Manifold - (You can just port the stock intake to save some money if you like.)
Halltech Killer Bee II and Beehive - (This setup will provide you more HP and cooler air.)
RPS LSX BC2 Clutch - (The best Street/Strip Clutch on the market IOHO.)
EWP
160*F Stat
4.10 gears provided by RPM
Skinnies
Good set of DRs (275x40x17 or 315x35x17) or Slicks (M&H 12.0x26.0x16)
A Great Dyno Tune is imperative.

As stated by Bruce a.k.a. Fartpipe a clutch will provide you with perhaps the biggest gain with the only possible exception being a great tune.

Once you increase your power, change your clutch, perhaps put gears in it, you will need to relearn the car and the launch. Be patient. This is where you will appreciate the driver mod and it will take less passes than if an inexperienced driver were to may these changes.

Good Luck on your quest.

Quick Reply: [Z06] looking to be in the 10s club. Need advice