Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] STRANGE PROBLEM AGAIN. where to get an uprated clutch master?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

The clutch actuator (slave) very rarely fails. But that doesn't mean dealers don't urge swapping them. That's because changing the actuator costs 4x to 5x the price of swapping just the master cylinder, which is 100x more likely the problem area.

For the owner, a needless swap of the actuator poses risk of improper re-assembly.

In the event of pedal issues that aren't resolved by cleaning up the clutch fluid, I alway recommend changing just the master, then verifying status before ponying up the bigger bucks for a new actuator.

That recommendation changes in the event the entire clutch is swapped out. In that case all the clutch hydraulic elements should be changed too. Start fresh.

Ranger
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
aussieross01
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 57 Posts

Exact same happened to me in my '07 Z06 down here in Australia over the Easter weekend, at the National Corvette Convention.

I was drag racing at the track events picking fights with a Callaway, and two ZR1's.
Car was idling for a long period of time during waiting my turn for runs.

Had about 6 runs in all, on my last I hit the clutch pedal to select third, and it stuck to the floor.
Efforts to raise pedal resulted in exactly your stated syptoms.

Turned out a little valve had popped off the end of the m/cylinder piston. No parts were needed, it was just cleaned, checked and reassembled, and then reinstalled back into the car.

First time my car has been used in 'anger', and has just 4k miles on her.

I am now asking myself whether the factory unit is up to the job.
Ross
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 PM
hesperus
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussieross01
Exact same happened to me in my '07 Z06 down here in Australia over the Easter weekend, at the National Corvette Convention.

I was drag racing at the track events picking fights with a Callaway, and two ZR1's.
Car was idling for a long period of time during waiting my turn for runs.

Had about 6 runs in all, on my last I hit the clutch pedal to select third, and it stuck to the floor.
Efforts to raise pedal resulted in exactly your stated syptoms.

Turned out a little valve had popped off the end of the m/cylinder piston. No parts were needed, it was just cleaned, checked and reassembled, and then reinstalled back into the car.

First time my car has been used in 'anger', and has just 4k miles on her.

I am now asking myself whether the factory unit is up to the job.
Ross
hey man, that's EXACTLY what happened to me, and my tech at the time scratched his head and said it was a fluke. there was no damage, and the thing was easily reassembled and reinstalled. it was a while-you-wait job practically.

its been close to a year if not a year (sorry i'm too lazy to check my first post about it right now) and there were no signs at all of any problems... until Easter weekend and it happened again, exactly the same as last time.

now i'm afraid to take the car out in this summer heat where it may get stuck in traffic idling and soaking up heat...

go figure.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the tick master. It's a pain to install, but it's sooo worth it
Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
OldDominion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Since DOT 5.1 is superior to DOT 4 is there any reason GM did not use it ?
No idea, but they still mark the brake reservoir to use DOT 3 instead of DOT 4. And we all know that DOT 4 is superior to 3, so there is no tellin.

Quick Reply: [Z06] STRANGE PROBLEM AGAIN. where to get an uprated clutch master?