Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tint guy couldn't tint rear window...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint guy couldn't tint rear window...

Brought the Z to a local shop to have the windows tinted and some paint protection installed around the rear brake ducts, just had the car painted, looks awesome. Stopped by the shop at 4:00 last Thursday to pick her up. So as I walk up to the building and I can see that he is still working on the rear window. I go inside and walk over to the area where he is working on the car and I here him say " I'm gonna smash this f@%king window!!!" Then he sees me and tells me he has been working on the window for 2 1/2 hours and is on his fourth piece of tint. There are two places in opposite corners that won't lay right. He works on it for another half hour of so while I was there , then he rips it off the car throws it on the floor and stomps on it. He tinted the side windows first and they look great but it looks stupid with the rear window not being tinted. He said to bring it back on another day and he would try it again. I called him today to make another appointment and he sounded less than enthused to have me bring my car back. He told me to call him back later this week to see what his schedule looks like then. He said he has done numerous C6 rear windows and has never expirienced this before. I guess I'll just have to call him back later and hope he takes it in and gets it right the next time. Sucks. No other tinters in the area so I am kind of at his mercy. Marc L.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre
Brought the Z to a local shop to have the windows tinted and some paint protection installed around the rear brake ducts, just had the car painted, looks awesome. Stopped by the shop at 4:00 last Thursday to pick her up. So as I walk up to the building and I can see that he is still working on the rear window. I go inside and walk over to the area where he is working on the car and I here him say " I'm gonna smash this f@%king window!!!" Then he sees me and tells me he has been working on the window for 2 1/2 hours and is on his fourth piece of tint. There are two places in opposite corners that won't lay right. He works on it for another half hour of so while I was there , then he rips it off the car throws it on the floor and stomps on it. He tinted the side windows first and they look great but it looks stupid with the rear window not being tinted. He said to bring it back on another day and he would try it again. I called him today to make another appointment and he sounded less than enthused to have me bring my car back. He told me to call him back later this week to see what his schedule looks like then. He said he has done numerous C6 rear windows and has never expirienced this before. I guess I'll just have to call him back later and hope he takes it in and gets it right the next time. Sucks. No other tinters in the area so I am kind of at his mercy. Marc L.
Marc
not everyone can do the rear window, it's very hard, due to the compound curves.
Good Luck
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

At least they adminted it, I had to take mine back and have them tear it off. They kept telling me that know one could do a better job.......blah....blah.....blah

Basiccly there was large odd shaped bubbles around the top and scratched up the car in the process.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
fasz06
Instructor

Don't let that get the best of ypu......Just find a new shop to put it on as you can see mine is tinted all over
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
mwatowing
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guy black vinyled the dot matrix and did the rear in under an hour..Looks perfect
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwatowing
My guy black vinyled the dot matrix and did the rear in under an hour..Looks perfect
I will ask him if he knows anything about doing it that way. He is doing 35% as that is the most that is legal in N.H. Do you think that will be a problem? How dark is yours? Marc L.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
mwatowing
Pro

tint is tint, light visibility should not matter what so ever

My rear is 20 my sides are 30
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Larry T
Racer

I asked my guy about the rear window before he started and he said it was all in the patience and experience; finished my truck and the Vette in one day, all looks perfect two years later...hang in there pard, you'll find someone...LT
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

tint is tint, light visibility should not matter what so ever

My rear is 20 my sides are 30
One more dumb question. I don't understand how you can't see where the black vinyl meets the tint, because you can see through the tint but you can't see through the black vinyl. Also is there a line where the tint and vinyl meet? Sorry, I'm trying to understand this. I appreciate the help.. Marc L.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

One more thing I forgot to mention. My tint guy says he does the rear windows with one piece of tint and says most guys do it with three pieces. Those of you that have this done was it done with just one piece and if it wasn't can you tell. Thanks. Marc L.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Lefebvre
One more thing I forgot to mention. My tint guy says he does the rear windows with one piece of tint and says most guys do it with three pieces. Those of you that have this done was it done with just one piece and if it wasn't can you tell. Thanks. Marc L.
Most tinters DO NOT do the rear in 3 pcs. Experienced tinters do it in one pc. Find another tinter.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine was done in one piece. No vinyl. Took the guy about 4 hrs to do the back and sides.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

My guy did the same thing. He did all 3 windows in about 1.5 hours and it came out perfect. He is not cheap at $275 for the whole thing but I am very picky and it came out perfect.

To the OP just find someone who is more experienced. Make sure they have the same kind of tint used on the sides or have that removed and get it done again. All tint is not the same. Some has dye, some has metal, and there are even more different types.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Wndotintman
Most tinters DO NOT do the rear in 3 pcs. Experienced tinters do it in one pc. Find another tinter.
1 piece and no vinyl
Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,715 Likes on 1,090 Posts

1 piece and no vinyl here, either. Definitely find another installer.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Just to be clear the vinyl is for the top section of dot matrix. No matter how good the installer is the dot matrix makes it hard for the tint to stick. I was offered the choice of tinting the dots, leaving it untinted, or the black vinyl. I chose the vinyl and it came out great.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
nspec
Racer

Definitely look for another tinker. He's lying about how he has done several c6s.

Get notified of new replies

To Tint guy couldn't tint rear window...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Larry T
Racer

one piece, no vinyl...he had to continually work the dots but after a while it came out great
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Has anyone used Magoops to prevent the silver look over the dot matrix around the rear window edges well as at the top? That silver line around the glass is what keeps me from tinting.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Same here, one piece no vinyl. My tint guy spent about an hour or so shaping/stretching/shrinking the tint on the back glass with a heat gun and a squeegee before he applied it.

U.M.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tint guy couldn't tint rear window...