Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Forum wars Viper vs Vette???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:02 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
I've known SW since high school. He has more autocross wins than the forum combined. Plus road racing, drag racing, etc.

He can drive.

His clutch did give up. I was at his house a few weeks ago and he now has an LS9 clutch. I can also assure anyone that his Z06 will trap faster than 114 mph.

What I found surprising was the ACR with mods only ran 11.8 at 125 mph in houston. My stock Z06 ran that in the thin air of phoenix.
The Viper had the capability to do better but the driver launch was very bad and he lost alot because of his mishaps, his technique of launching the bad boy was a mistake causing him to delay for a few seconds with a bug and then playing catchup to a wounded Z06.
With a very good launch the Viper would difinetly run mid 10 sec.@ 131+ mph, but then again the result is what it is.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TRINIC5
The Viper had the capability to do better but the driver launch was very bad and he lost alot because of his mishaps, his technique of launching the bad boy was a mistake causing him to delay for a few seconds with a bug and then playing catchup to a wounded Z06.
With a very good launch the Viper would difinetly run mid 10 sec.@ 131+ mph, but then again the result is what it is.
I think mid tens is a stretch, as the ACR really only has exhaust on it and maybe CAI (as far as performance mods). It would have to be a perfect pass with the perfect conditions, and driver. Now high 10s yes for the ACR but mid 10s, me no think so, and trust me when I tell you I am a HUGE VIPER ACR Fan!

Oh yeah, I agree that the driver of the Viper had to baby it out of the hole b/c all the torque those bad boys make is hard to put down to the ground without a drag racing tire. As you know the Pilot Cups that the ACR come with from the factory are for road racing and have a harder sidewall than a drag radial, drag slick, etc.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 04-04-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 PM
SW
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just saw this. For the record, I had not started/ driven my ZO6 in over a year. Been busy playing with other cars. I got the call to run, got a set of wheels and tires from CCW and loaded up my car and went. I had no idea my clutch was out until my first pass on the drag strip. As you can see in the Video, I killed him off the line in the first 2 gears, then total slip in 3rd& 4th. My car should trap in the 130's. I beat him in the auto-x but he did get me in the 7sec slalom. My clutch was not slipping in the slalom, I was.. Anyway, got back and put a LS9 clutch in it and all is good. I ran it at Motorsport Ranch Cresson and it kicked ***. Sorry I lost it for you guys, my fault for not testing before. As for the ACR, I would love to see him on a road course..

Last edited by SW; 04-05-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 AM
joegengsta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW u ****, saw your butt on youtube for texas2k11, trying to get that suprachick to drive your UGR lambo against nero huh? you sly guy you
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is if you have an issue "clutch" then you should have repaired it before you got there, I hope he didn't just plan to by or was over confident with a lame car. I hope this issue happened without any warning, the clutch issue caught him by surprise. It would have been interesting to see that race without the mechanical issues. The Z06 cam and headers would have made it a good race, and with the viper's terrible 60ft time the Z06 would have spanked him. Slalom I not sure what happened these cars handle great. just as I thought I saw SW's post after I posted mine.

Last edited by Cloaked323; 04-06-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:53 AM
ole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YouTube - 09 17 10 Z06 Drag Ole Viper . Just good at the lights
Old 04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
SW
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew M
A race is a race don't bring out a broken car then. There was plenty of notice to make sure the car was in order. Besides thats only 1 event out of 3. He managed to win the 2nd race what happened did the clutch fix itself.

Bottom line is the viper won like it or not.

PS. Turns out the viper was told to be on ps2's to be like the vette they were not on R compounds.
Originally Posted by D-Rod
Is it common in our cars to slip in 3rd or 4th? I have had clutch issues at the track but I know it right off the launch. Never had an issue in 3rd. When I watched the video I would have bet $ he missed 3rd gear. I think he misspoke about the clutch slipping in 3rd AND 4th. If he only trapped 114 he wouldnt have even made it to 4th.

Hopefully the drivers will chime in and give some more input on the show and how cool the experience was.
It's amazing how many "opinions" you get online. No excuses, my clutch was out. A clutch will hold in 1st and second but as you get into the taller gears there is more load, that's when it will slip. No missing gears. Like I stated, it was my fault for not driving my car before the event. Last time I drove it was at TWS and the clutch was good. Patrick from Quality Motorsports came to Austin and installed the LS9 clutch, the Exceedy I had in it was fried. I was in constant contact with Danny Popp during the event, he was trying to help my with my set up since he auto-x's all the time, he knew what was going on. As far as the Viper, it's a great car, but not for me. I have owned 5 Vipers and now I don't even like to ride in one now.

Last edited by SW; 04-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600hp viper with exhaust should be against a zr1.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by logan1080
600hp viper with exhaust should be against a zr1.
Believe me when you look at how SW's vette (with cam) came out of the gate, if he was running an LS9 clutch the Viper wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm not saying the ACR is POS, and the Z06 is the better than anything out there, I'm saying that SW could probably represent quite a few different forums and hand him his *** anytime any day.

Chris Chow
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

.... He managed to win the 2nd race what happened did the clutch fix itself.....
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't understand much about clutches. I've had exactly that happen, as have many thousands of others. It's not at all unusual for a clutch to "glaze" and let go on a run, and 20 minutes later it works fine. I've had it happen more than once.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:01 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

. He managed to win the 2nd race what happened did the clutch fix itself.

Obviously, you aren't going to spend alot of time at WOT in an autocross, particularly at that power level. And, only 1st and 2nd gears were used. Not the same as full load in the upper gears.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Jake
I love the Viper. But with the skill of the driver in the ACR, a properly functioning stock Z06 on R-Comp tires and a decent driver would have won this thing. Seriously.. But stock vs stock the ACR is a much better car without a doubt.

Anyways.. For a little while I went on some Viper forums and some of those guys really have some issues.. They love to talk everyone and everything down that isn't a Viper owner or a Viper. Viper Alley in general left a sour taste in my mouth.. Almost makes you not like the car because of some of the people that own them.
1000% agree. Quite a few freaking douche bags if you ask me and they all seem to try to out-do their doucheness. Unlike you though, it made me dislike wanting to own a Viper altogether.

And that is a tainted win for the Viper. If the clutch didn't slip the outcome would have been different. It is what is. I was surprised how the Z destroyed the Viper off the line.

Last edited by Kurac; 04-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 744 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SW
Just saw this. For the record, I had not started/ driven my ZO6 in over a year. Been busy playing with other cars. I got the call to run, got a set of wheels and tires from CCW and loaded up my car and went. I had no idea my clutch was out until my first pass on the drag strip. As you can see in the Video, I killed him off the line in the first 2 gears, then total slip in 3rd& 4th. My car should trap in the 130's. I beat him in the auto-x but he did get me in the 7sec slalom. My clutch was not slipping in the slalom, I was.. Anyway, got back and put a LS9 clutch in it and all is good. I ran it at Motorsport Ranch Cresson and it kicked ***. Sorry I lost it for you guys, my fault for not testing before. As for the ACR, I would love to see him on a road course..
If you see a ACR on a road course you'll be way behind it. At Nurbergring, the ACR ran 7:22 and the Z06 ran 7:42. The ACR was faster than the ZR1 too.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:08 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
If you see a ACR on a road course you'll be way behind it. At Nurbergring, the ACR ran 7:22 and the Z06 ran 7:42. The ACR was faster than the ZR1 too.
He's not stock.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

He's not stock.
Give it up. Nobody on this forum except you and I and a couple of others have bothered to pay attention to the facts, and have no idea of SW's credentials.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.

He's not stock.
You're wrong.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
You're wrong.
Neither car at forum wars were stock. That's a fact.

Get notified of new replies

To Forum wars Viper vs Vette???

Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Here, you could use a few of these...

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Who Won? This is all that matters. Everything else is an excuss.

"If the Yamaha had 10 more ponies. It would have been alot closer" WTF!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

I was talking about the ACR at the Ring.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Forum wars Viper vs Vette???